This is a really easy Indian fish curry recipe. The curry is very light, with delicious tomato and coriander (cilantro in the US, and dhania in India) flavours.
As with most of my Indian recipes, I got this one from my mother-in-law. What I love about this recipe, apart from the fact that it’s so simple and practically foolproof, is that it actually tastes like real Indian food (not food cooked by a firangi) when I make it!
I’ve cooked this curry numerous times when I’ve had to demonstrate my competence in the kitchen for inquisitive Indian aunties.
Fish Curry Ingredients
These ingredients are enough for two people.
- A small fish, cut into pieces (I usually use pomfret).
- Tumeric (haldi)
- One teaspoon of black mustard seeds (rai)
- 10 fresh curry leaves (curry patta)
- Medium finely chopped onion
- Medium finely chopped tomato
- One teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- One teaspoon of chilli powder
- One teaspoon of garam masala
- Two or three teaspoons of coconut milk powder (I’ve adapted the recipe to include this ingredient because my mother-in-law uses a home made coconut and mustard seed paste that I’m yet to learn how to make!)
- Handful of fresh chopped coriander (cilantro, dhania)
How to Make Fish Curry
Rub tumeric and a little salt into the fish pieces and let it sit for half an hour or so.
Next, lightly fry the fish pieces in a shallow pan, and set them aside.
Make sure all the fresh ingredients are chopped and ready to cook!
Firstly, add the mustard seeds to hot oil. Once they’ve popped, add the curry leaves and chopped onion. Cook until the onion becomes golden.
Add the chopped tomato, ginger garlic paste, chili powder, and garam masala. Fry for a minute before adding around three cups of water and the coconut milk powder. The curry is supposed to be spicy and watery. Cook for another few minutes.
Add the fish pieces and handful of chopped coriander. Stir it up, and cook for another five minutes.
Serve the curry in a bowl with steamed rice. Yum!
© 2009, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.
Related Posts You May Like:
PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED