The Firangi Kitty Party

by Sharell शारेल on May 9, 2009

in Family & Friends

I’m getting together with some of my foreigner friends — who also have Indian husbands — for a girl’s night tonight. One of them is hosting it in her apartment, and we’re all to bring a plate of something to eat.

I told my husband about it. His response was, “You’re going to a kitty party?!”. I was just as dismayed. What was he talking about?

A kitty party, I soon learned, is a popular form of entertainment for housewives in India. They gather in large groups at someone’s home, bring food, gossip (often not in a positive way), and play games.

The foreigner’s version of a kitty party is a little different. There aren’t any games. We’ll have a few glasses of wine or something else, and talk about life in general. No doubt, there will be discussions about how we’re finding life in Mumbai, and how we ended up here. It’s a good opportunity for us to learn more about the city, and get useful tips from others who are in the same situation.

Of course, it also gives us the opportunity to feel a little bit “normal” in this sometimes strange place.

© 2009, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Paul May 11, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Ask me how I’d love to be part of such a party… all white women and one single brown me… the fact that they all have husbands will be forgotten for a while, of course!!! ;)

V. May 12, 2009 at 5:08 am

tupperware party anyone!!!

nicki182298 June 2, 2009 at 10:51 am

That just sounds fun and interesting to me. How did you party go by the way?

FrancesC June 26, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Sounds like Girls’ Night Out (or In) to me! My friends and I do it very often here, and we’re a mix of Indians and foreigners. A Girls’ Night Out is usually triggered by a husband out on business travel, so his wife is bored alone at home after the children go to sleep, and invites a bunch of her women friends to come have dinner one of the evenings he’s gone. Sometimes we order out, sometimes we each bring a dish, anyone with a nursing baby brings the baby along, and we have a lovely evening with good food, wine and companionship. I never thought to call it a “kitty party” though!

luckyfatima October 27, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I have heard Mumbaikars say Kitty Party. In Pak-lish (Pakistan English) it is a “one-dish” party. Cuz everyone brings one dish. I was raised calling it a potluck. I feel isolated from other goriwives and haven’t found that many in Dubai, though there must be some hiding somewhere. I envy you.

Suhani December 10, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Its not exactly a kitty party(it includes games & competitions.Plus all da women collect some money every month,using it prizes r given 2 winners)it sounds more lyk a potluck party.We hav a potluck party once in every month here where,apart frm me 9 odr ladies from r neighbourhood gather at sm1′s place,watch a movie,gossip & each one brings one dish.We usually keep it on da last saturday of da month,dats wen da kids hav a holiday so dey can b sent 2 a relative’s place or der dads cn tk care of dem widout any fuss(since da next day is a holiday),while der moms party!By da way,hw was ur firangan(female) potluck party?

ashita February 26, 2013 at 1:04 am

we had a simmilar day party at this place called the Den , behind KFC Bandra and what a time we had, good food reasonable packages if you don’t want A la Carte and the in house DJ played some really good tunes. And the alcohol was reasonably prices as well.

Sharell शारेल February 26, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’ve been to the The Den. Of course, it attracted me because it’s a wine place, and like you mentioned reasonably priced. :-)