Ganesh Photos from Ganesh Chaturthi

by Sharell शारेल on August 25, 2009

in Festivals in India, Snapshots of India

Post image for Ganesh Photos from Ganesh Chaturthi

My favourite festival of the year is on at the moment in Mumbai — Ganesh Chaturthi. This 11 day festival honours the birth of Lord Ganesh. Worshipped for his ability to remove obstacles, he’s one of India’s most popular and much loved gods.

On Sunday, the first day of Ganesh Chaturthi, I joined the crowds and went pandal hopping. Here are some photos of the captivating displays.

An eye catching statue of Lord Ganesh.

An eye catching statue of Lord Ganesh.

This statue was illuminated with soothing blue lighting.

This statue was illuminated with soothing blue lighting.

A bright Lord Ganesh with painted scenery background.

A bright Lord Ganesh with painted scenery background.

A rather imposing statue of Lord Ganesh.

A rather imposing statue of Lord Ganesh.

Small statues of Lord Ganesh draped in flowers.

Small statues of Lord Ganesh draped in flowers.

© 2009 – 2012, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Dilip August 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Great pictures! It so makes me want to be there right now. I suppose there is a lot more festivity in Bombay than in the South though there is a fair amount of chanting and dancing in Bangalore where I hail from as well. I do not like the drunk brawls however that sometimes ensue when people go to immerse the idols. Btw, do you keep it at home as well? What do you folks do for immersion?

Sharell August 26, 2009 at 12:11 am

Oooh, I’ll have to look out for the drunk brawls! They sound really appalling. Hope they don’t happen in Mumbai as well. In Mumbai, most people immerse their Ganpattis in the ocean — Marine Drive/Girgaum Chowpatty and Juhu. Most processions end up there. Personally, we don’t keep a Ganpatti in the house, and neither do my in-laws. My husband and I are a bit too irresponsible to take care of Ganpatti properly, and we wouldn’t quite know what to do anyway! Sadly, festivities are a lot more subdued here this year because of swine flu, but seeing all the pandals is still a wonderful experience.

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 12:07 am

Hey Sharell
Awesome pics yaar.

“”Ganesh Chaturthi commences with a great deal of fanfare. Huge statues of Lord Ganesh are placed on podiums inside beautifully decorated tents (called pandals) all over the city. Chanting, music, and dancing fill the streets. It’s magical to enter the tents, and feel the energy in there. I find it very powerful and uplifting. It’s even cured me of a headache!”"
Thats how i would define Durga Puja celebrations.
One question:
Did you pray with folded hands to Lord Ganesha??????????

Thanks for sharing these pics. Someday i wanna be in Mumbai during Ganesh Chaturthi.

Sharell August 26, 2009 at 12:16 am

Glad you like the pics, Ronny! :-) Actually, I never pray with folded hands to any God. Hands are always pointed. Should they be folded?

Someday, I wanna be in Kolkata during Durga Puja!!!!

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 12:34 am

“‘Hands are always pointed. Should they be folded?”‘

Better fold them next time girl.

You are an “Indian housewife now”…. ;-)

So are the streets very crowded????

Sharell August 26, 2009 at 12:49 am

Seriously, I’m too scared to pray half the time cos I’m sure I’m making some mistake!! God is just going to have to accept me how I am (and hopefully let me get away with it if He thinks I’m pretty enough!). :-P

The streets are surprisingly uncrowded. I swear the swine flu is keeping everyone in doors. Maybe the streets will become more chaotic when the immersions start happening.

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 12:43 am

“”Actually, I never pray with folded hands to any God. Hands are always pointed.”"

Anyways, i am sure Gods love to get “pointed” out by a beautiful girl like u…… :-) LOL………..so no worries………

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 12:56 am

Hey Sharell

“”Seriously, I’m too scared to pray half the time cos I’m sure I’m making some mistake!! “”

God, in Hinduism, is like a LOVING PARENT……..HE will love you no matter what……

Your destiny will be determined by ur actions( law of karma).

So RELAX…….and there is NO HARM if you are “”"”making some mistake!! “”"”

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 12:56 am

“”The streets are surprisingly uncrowded…….”"

Now thats boring.

D. Jain August 26, 2009 at 2:28 am

Nice pics! I wish I could be there to experience it!

We keep a Ganesha statue in our house, even though my husband was raised as a Jain (obviously, by my name). It’s a tall one, about 2 feet tall and made of brass. I just like Ganesha…he makes me happy! We also have a Mahavir bhagwan.

V. August 26, 2009 at 4:38 am

Yum, Sharell! I look at the photos and all I can think is of the yummy festival food that every one makes!!!!
hmmmmmm Halwa and ladoo. mmmmmmmm Drool! :)

viksdes August 26, 2009 at 8:30 am

Ganpati bappa morya!..enjoy the festivities Sharel!

shalini August 26, 2009 at 11:20 am

Awesome pics !!!

How I miss Maharashtra and its festivities !!!

I think one should just be grateful to the Lord for all the kindness and love he has showered upon us and we can do that in any way we are comfortable in !!!

Tk Cr and Happy Chaturthi !

Sharell August 26, 2009 at 11:28 am

I agree Shalini, showing appreciation is showing appreciation. Surely, any way of doing that must be good.

PGB, mine is Saraswati. :-) Ganpatti is a close second.

PGB August 26, 2009 at 11:26 am

enjoy the festival. ;) … my favourite deity. :)

PGB August 26, 2009 at 12:18 pm

aha!! Saraswati suits perfectly for person who is intelligent and modest. ;)

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Hey Sharell

“”mine is Saraswati”"

Mine is MA DURGA.
u know Goddess Saraswati,Lakshmi are the DAUGHTERS OF GODDESS DURGA.
Ganesha,Kartik are the sons.

Cheers

Sharell August 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Hey Ronny, now this is where I get even more confused (as if how to pray to all the different Gods wasn’t bad enough! ;-) ). I thought Saraswati was the wife of Lord Brahma who created her, and that Lord Shiva and Parvati were the parents of Ganesh and Kartik. So, Parvati must also be known as Goddess Durga (sorry, I don’t know much about her)? Then how did Saraswati come to be the daughter of Goddess Durga, or is this in another incarnation? I really need to study up on this properly to get my head around all this!

PGB, thank you. That brought a smile to my face! :-D

Ronny August 26, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hhahahahaha…….totally confused i guess

Listen Sharell…….Dont worry about all these things and just ENJOY THE FESTIVITIES……….have loads and loads of great food(without worry about weight)…..do lots of pandal hopping and have fun with family and friends…….. :-)

Enjoy girl!

Dilip August 26, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I did not know either Saraswati is durga’s daughter, only that she is Brahma’s consort. Besides, I thought lakshmi, saraswati and durga are all of equal status. What about Ganga? Is she Shiva’s daughter? Much confusion! Should read it up sometime………….:)

suman August 27, 2009 at 9:46 am

Vinayaka chavithi is one of the big festival in andra pradesh. Really i miss alote this festival

D D April 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Laxmi & Saraswati are not daughters of Durga.
Brahma has two wives Savitri & Gayatri.
Saraswati is the daughter of Brahma but when Brahma created Saraswati, he was enchanted by her beauty for a moment.
Laxmi is the daughter of Samudra (Sea)
Ganga is considered as Shiva’s second wife, but in Vishnupurana she is also considered as Vishnu’s second wife. As a river she is not having a stable nature, so she is considered as wife of multiple husbands. In Mahabharata she is also considered as King Shantanu’s wife. Also river Ganga is considered as Samudra’s (Sea’s) wife.
Kartikeya & Ganesh are son’s of Shiva.
Kartikey was born when Shiva’s semen dropped in river Ganga & 6 ladies called Kruttika raised him in his childhood, that’s why he is called as Kartikeya – son of Kruttikas.
And Parvati created Ganesha with the soil grubs on her skin to stand guard when she was taking her bath. When Shiva saw that a forigner prevented him to go inside, he cut off Ganesha’s head. And when Parvati saw that, she cried, told the story about how she created ganesha & requested to Shiva to regenerate Ganesha. Then a Elephant’s head was put on Ganesha’s trunk & he was come to life again by Shiva’s favoured blessings.
I hope this will help you Sharell.

Yashasva April 18, 2010 at 7:39 pm

@ D D
Do you really believe such mythical stories?

D D April 18, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Sharell was confused about the relationships of Gods, so I was just explaining her what I have read.
I know that sometimes their is a different truth lying behind these mythical stories, but in course of time they have the cover of different myths on the real story. So I belive in finding the real story behind these myths.

Amit Desai April 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I often see it as a beautiful art work and recognise the efforts put into these works by millions of poor artists.

Yashasva April 19, 2010 at 9:00 am

@DD

Vedicism (early form of Hinduism ) is based on the concept of Creation,Preservation and Destruction. Whatever you create is eventually gets destroyed over the time. It is a law of the Nature.Vedic people are Nature loving people. Various Hindu Gods are nothing but things you see in the Nature. Bramha is called a ‘Creator’. You need Knowledge and Intelligence to create anything. Saraswati is associated with Knowledge and Intelligence. Thats why Bramha and Saraswati are in pair. Similarly Shiva, the destroyer is linked with Parvati. Parvati is associated with the Power. You need to be powerful to destroy anything. Thats why they are shown in pair. Same goes with Vishnu-Laxmi pair. Vishnu, a preserver, protects well being, wealth etc and we all know Lakshmi is associated with wealth and well being. All the religions what we see today are formed in past 2000 -3000 years only. Human race was in existance for thousands and thousands years before that.

Samajale ka?

karthik April 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

well the Sanskrit Vedas alone is older than 9000 years the dating was done by the British based on their Christian belief that the world was formed 6000 years ago as it was mentioned in the bible…

D D April 19, 2010 at 7:31 pm

@ Yashasva
I don’t know whether you are Maharashtrian or only know some Marathi words, but if you are a marathi reader, then I will suggest you to read a article in Diwali magazine “Kistrim 2009″ titled as “Parashuram kon hota?” (Who was parashuram?). I don’t know if you are familiar with the concept of origin of Ganapati which was explained by (Hindu Calender maker)Panchangkar Da. Kru. Soman on television interview few years before. According to that concept Ganapati was originally a King in Sidhu pradesh which was latter accepted as God by people in Elephant headed form. What I wrote earlier about “truth lying behind mythical stories” was in this reference.
I know the concept of vedicism. But I am interested in recent research about it.
And I think that, this is Sharell’s blog and now if our discussion goes further, then it will be irrelevant with her post. So I will prefer to stop here.

D D April 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm

@ Yashasva
“Bramha is called a ‘Creator’. You need Knowledge and Intelligence to create anything. Saraswati is associated with Knowledge and Intelligence. Thats why Bramha and Saraswati are in pair.”

Sure, but it doesn’t mean that Saraswati is Brahma’s wife. She is his daughter. And Brahma has two wives Savitri and Gayatri. Reference – Mahabharat – (Marathi Edition) – by Vidarbha Marathvada Prakashan.

Yashasva April 20, 2010 at 7:55 am

@DD
To me ,even Bramha is a symbolic figure leave alone ‘his’ wives or daughters. Everything is symbolic in Hinduism. There are no real Bramha, Vishnu or Shiva existed. They are symbolic names to the natural forces seen around you and me. There are shown ‘paired’(as explained in my earlier comment) just to be acceptable by people then.

Yashasva April 20, 2010 at 8:08 am

@DD Yes I am Maharashtran(and Goan). Parashuram is a another myth. It is said that hae was actually a military commander called ‘Ramius’ from Persia who landed to the coastal area of India with his Army.
I dont know how much to believe the story but it makes sense to me to some extent.

D D April 20, 2010 at 6:37 pm

@ Yashasva
Just like Ganapati & Parashuram, there is a big probability that the Gods mentioned in our Puranas were real persons whose stories were later on covered with myths, according to recent research. (as I have read some articles.) So I don’t think that they are mere symbols. So I am pointing the relationship between Brahma & Saraswati. That’s all.

In Vishnupurana it is mentioned that Vishnu has three wives Laxmi, Saraswati & Ganga. But Laxmi cursed Ganga & Saraswati. That’s why they both started living separately while only Laxmi lived with Vishnu.

Only I have one question, In which Purana / Smruti / Upanishada etc. it is mentioned that Saraswati is Brahma’s wife? I haven’t found it mentioned anywhere in Mahabharata or Ramayana or Puranas which I have read. (If you know it, then please let me know.) What I have read it is all about Savitri & Gayatri & both of them related with Sun (Savitri – Daughter of Savitru i.e. Sun & Gayatri – the Goddess holding the right of Gayatri Mantra which is actually Savitru (Sun’s) mantra. So Savitri & Saraswati are definitely different goddesses.

Yashasva April 21, 2010 at 6:49 am

Sun is the basis to the theory of creation of the life on the Earth. Bramha the Creator god has to be linked with the Sun. It is no surprise that Savitri and Gayatri are associated with Bramha. Sun is the the same reason Bramha is related to the theory of big bang or Universe formation.
Again I dont believe they were real people. As Amit pointed out they are could be a work of artists. The third eye on Shankar’s face is a symbol to indicate a hole in a volcanic mountain top. If this hole opens up lava would flow uncontrollablly (tandava nrutya) and burn everything into ashes. Probablly people noticed that volcano erupts without notice and started worshiping volcanos since then??? Wife Parvati shown in white complexion could be the while smoke formed during the volcano eruption?? Do you know all the Jyotirlinga locations have a history of Volcano eruption?? Even today you find warm water ponds present in some of those location. It is a fact.

D D April 22, 2010 at 6:59 pm

@ Yashasva
You have every right to believe it in your own way. I never forced you to believe it in my own way.
What I believe is real persons with real stories later on covered with myths. And as it is a very vast subject, I don’t see any point discussing it here. Only I will suggest you one thing, (if you are interested in it,) if you haven’t read the original text of Ramayana, Mahabharata, Puranas etc. then please go through it’s Sanskrit or Marathi edition many times. It will help you.
I am myself eager to read Marathi books “Asurved” by Sanjay Sonavani & “Shodh Rigvedacha”, if I will get them. It is very interesting to look at those things with different angles when one reads such a books & original text again & compare them.

photographer May 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm

qwerty May 9, 2010 at 5:04 pm

@photographer
most of the hindu gods are meant to be symbolic and its not meant to be taken literally.
and there are some proof that coincides with the hindu texts and they cannot be avoided as just myths.

D D May 9, 2010 at 6:22 pm

@ photographer,
what I have wrote above is related to the research of these stories, there are scientific proofs to some of them, that those were real persons with real stories which later on got covered with myths and also got the symbolic importance.

And if you are calling our religion crap, then let you know that every ancient religion in this world has such a mythological stories, example greek mythological stories, egyptian mythological stories, mythological stories in chinese / japanese culture etc. Even in the story of Christ some part of it can be considered as mythological such as regeneration of Christ after crucification in our point of view.

Our religion do not force us to believe it in one way only. So some believe it as symbolic, some people search the truth behind it, some people belive it partly or totally, and some people do not belive in god completely but still they are considered as Hindus. So let you know that we have freedom to not to believe in any god in our religion. There was on person named “Kanad” who didn’t believed in god & still called religious philosopher in our culture.

What you have read here earlier is only a littile part of our religious culture & the original Hindu culture is very Vast & diverse to understand.

Amit Desai May 10, 2010 at 8:42 am

@ photographer, “…What are you guys talking about here. Sounds like kids stories…”

There is a huge section devoted to the stories for kids such as animal fables – a famous one is called *Panchtantra (five principles)*. You can write a book as lengthy as Bible from it. Many of these stories were never written down or got lost but are still passed from generations to generations through *oral communication* in the form of *Shiksha (education)* and *Sanskar (code of conduct/mannerisms)*.

qwerty May 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

that might be true 50 years ago but not anymore…and your comment actually makes hinduism look bad when compared to what was actually said by photographer here.

D D May 11, 2010 at 3:09 pm

@ qwerty
Presently there are actually some schools where Vedas are taught orally by giving santha & the tradition of giving knowledge through *oral communication* in the form of *Shiksha (education)* and *Sanskar (code of conduct/mannerisms)* is still going on. And now it is also available in written format (text) by various publishers. But it is true that some of the book were burned by the invaders & we lost that knowledge. But people conserved some of that due to the oral education method & it was saved.

Amit Desai May 12, 2010 at 9:08 am

@ D D – “…Sorry, but I don’t understand how Amit Desai’s comment actually makes hinduism look bad when compared to what was actually said by photographer?…”

It’s about perspective and interpretation (based on knowledge) of the respective audience. The good things are often considered bad, and if the perspective/interpretation of respective audience is changed, the bad things may be considered good. Mathematically, good = -bad, OR bad = -good. As my uncle used to say, you only need one skill be a mathematician : *How to scratch you body (head) like a monkey*!
His comments really made good (mathematicians) look bad (monkeys)! OR, his comments really made bad (mathematicians) look good (monkeys)!

Sharrell's Celebrity Doppleganger May 12, 2010 at 9:38 pm

“What are you guys talking about here. Sounds like kids stories. Do you guy really believe this crap as a religion??”

Name 1 religion on Earth that doesn’t have crap in it.

Avni August 11, 2010 at 11:18 pm

These pictures are beautiful!
Would you mind if I posted the first one of Lord Ganesh on my blog, http://www.chamkila.tumblr.com ?
I’d give credit to you, of course, and link the photo back to this page.

Sharell August 12, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hi Avni, of course, you’re welcome to use them. I’m glad you like them so much. :-D

pratiksha thakkur August 4, 2012 at 5:55 pm

i love all this pics very much i cant believe dat these all r made by INDIANS

Sharell शारेल August 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Indians are the most talented people to make these beautiful creations. :-)