Sweet Star Fruit

by Sharell शारेल on July 17, 2010

in Daily Life in India

Post image for Sweet Star Fruit

Our neighbour recently gave us these tasty (and attractive!) star fruit, picked fresh from the tree in front of his house.

© Copyright 2010 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Preets July 17, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Those look delicious. They sell these at Bandra with a sprinkle of salt and spice :)

When I used to look down at Mumbai from my apartment at the 14th floor I used to be genuinely surprised at how green it looked.

Sharell July 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm

It’s amazing how these fruits are eaten differently but still enjoyed in different countries — at home we chop them up and have them with other sweet fruit in fruit salad with ice cream. Here they’re popularly eaten with salt (and of course masala!). Quite the opposite! Another thing I’ve discovered here — putting masala on freshly peel cucumber (which the snack stands sell). Would never have thought of doing that, but it’s so tasty! 8)

senem July 18, 2010 at 8:30 am

hi Sharell;
iam in costa rica now and i ‘ve tasted that fruit 2 days ago here for the first time in my life.it is really delicious!!
we don’t have this fruit in my country Turkey..(we have mostly mediterranean fruits)
so in costa rica they eat this natural without adding something
..they told me that it is orginally from indoonesia..(don’t know if it’s true)
anyway it sounded nice to eat an indonesian fruit in costa rica as a turkish woman;) good days…

Sharell July 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hi Senem, glad to hear your travels are going well, and they even have the start fruit as far away as costa rica! 8) I think what they told you is true… it comes from the Philippines. Keep enjoying. Happy days for sure! The world is a amazing place…

Chitta Baral July 21, 2010 at 6:52 am

Do you know what it is called in Oriya?
cheers
Chitta

Sharell July 21, 2010 at 11:50 am

Do you know what it is called in Oriya?
cheers
Chitta

Hi Chitta, no, we don’t know sorry. :-(

Chitta Baral July 21, 2010 at 8:00 pm

A similar looking fruit (or may be the same one) was called Karamanga or Karomanga in Oriya. May be your in-laws would know.

Chitta Baral July 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm
Jude July 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm

“It’s amazing that living in a city as chaotic and crowded as Mumbai can still be like living in the country at times!”
Agreed cent percent!
Mumbai is a beautifully evolved city and beyond the crowded throngs of grotesque urbanization called Mumbai, I find that Mumbaikars have risen above it all. I’m often amazed at how feisty Mumbaikars are, how they find ways to maximize their resources no matter how limited, from living spaces to water shortages, the urban Mumbaikar is has mastered the art of survival and boy do they do it in style.
We in Goa have more than we need from large houses with massive lawns, uninterrupted water and electricity etc and yet we lack the imagination to enjoy and nurture these pleasures.
I feel like I’m making no sense, Does anyone get my drift??

jyotiraj December 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm

it is good to know that this world is becoming like a village where cultures from different corners are getting mingled like karmanga with star fruit-a same fruit eaten with different tasting technique.