A Multi-Cultural Cocktail Party

by Sharell शारेल on August 8, 2010

in Daily Life in India, Family & Friends

Post image for A Multi-Cultural Cocktail Party

On Friday night my husband and I went to a cocktail party at the home of a couple of our expat friends, who very conveniently live on the same street as us. We were an interesting mix of people — Indian, Australian, Scottish, Dutch, French, and African.

Thoughtfully, the host had devised an inspired multi-cultural cocktail menu for the night. And, it was the funniest, and most fun, night I’d had in a long time. There were all sorts of antics from horrendous karaoke performances (me, because I’m tone deaf and don’t even pretend I can sing) to gymnastic displays. I can’t even remember what time we got home, but it wasn’t much before sunrise!

And this silly last photo…by special request…

© Copyright 2010 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Mohit Gupta August 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha….

I liked it … Accha hai yeh….!!!!

But orangeman seems to be larger than 6’6″…
I would have never clicked myself with someone who is 30 cm taller than me ;)

Sharell August 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm

It’s amazing what kind of bonding can take place over a few cocktails! :-P

vikas August 8, 2010 at 10:01 pm

This is the real Sharell! I would be surprised if your best fun doesn’t come along these happenings.Now finally a white woman coming through! Cheers!

Sharell August 8, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Ha! Return of the she-devil. :-P I must admit it feels quite normal!

Samantha August 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I absolutely LOVE your blog.

I googled “how to get my indian boyfriends mother to like me” and your blog was third from bottom on the first page and I’ve read so many of your posts. Thank you so much for your insight!

See I’m 20 year old American student and Dhruv (boyfriend) is 22 year old student. He was born in Saudi Arabia but his parents are north Indian and have lived in US about 14 years or so. We’ve been together nearly 2.5 years now and I was wondering if we had a future together at all and if it would be at all possible. I’ve been attempting to learn Hindi and more about their culture, but she still looks at me so disapprovingly (I even lived with them quite a while when I lost my job) as though I am not good enough because my family is poor and none went to school. They respect that I work full time and keep good grades with full time school but still don’t wholly approve.

ANYWAYSSS don’t want to go off on long speech and nonsense but thanks so much for your inspiration and you’re a fantastic writer!

All the best,
Samantha.

Sharell August 8, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Hi Samantha, I’m so glad you like the blog. :-D So sorry to hear that your boyfriend’s parents are less than accepting though (I actually had another reader just write to me today with a similar problem, so it’s very common). Unfortunately, it comes down to the status divide thing. Indian families put a lot of emphasis on marrying into families of the same status (even of the same caste), otherwise people talk and its easy for them to they lose respect in the community. Hopefully, they’ll come around in time. The good thing is that they’re at least “tolerating” you. I know it doesn’t seem that good, but much worse reactions are common. I know some parents who have threatened to disown their son, but have come around to accepting his choice of white wife in the end. They’ve let you stay with them in their home, which is significant. Another thing is that your boyfriend has remained with you despite their disapproval, so that’s another positive factor. Definitely learn some Hindi (and if you really want to impress his mother, learn to cook Indian food). I really think your relationship has a good chance of success. Wishing you the best.

Samantha August 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I make some pretty awesome roti and a little daal, my favorite is sabzi though.

The funny part is my parents are the same way! They feel threatened by education and disowned my oldest sister when she married a black man. So we’re a bit star-crossed.

:/ Thanks again though :)

Sharell August 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Oh gosh, it sounds like you’re well experienced in dealing with such trials and tribulations then! ;-) And if you can make a good roti, you’ve really got it going on! I see a happy ending to the story!

Eddy August 8, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Oh my !

Sharell August 8, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hi Eddy!! I was wondering how long it was going to take for you to discover yourself here! ;-)

Veq August 9, 2010 at 12:04 am

lol… by the way your husband is perched waaaaay up there on the shouders of what can only be described as a tree-trunk, I’d say that kind of bonding took place over a lot more than just a ‘few’ cocktails!!! ;-)

looks like you guys really had a blast…and after a long week, thats the best way to enjoy your weekend!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm

bhandar jaisa…seriously… it was keeping with the whole circus theme of the night! :-P

Abdullah K. August 9, 2010 at 12:05 am

I guess your husband must have had a drink too many to have a picture of him taken like that. If I were him, I couldn’t have done that.

@ Samantha:
If his parents are happy to have you live with them, then there is not much to worry. They have already sort of ‘accepted’ you, so its just a matter of them coming around.

Kat August 9, 2010 at 12:09 am

Looks like it was more like an international circus with alcohol added….pretty funny pic to see the difference of height in a picture….I know it is totally unrelated, but this reminds me of when I went to China with a group which had a guy that was 6’4”. The average height of the villagers where we stayed was about 5’3”. On multiple occasions people wanted pictures with him 1. He was white 2. He was like a giant to them.

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 11:52 am

Looks like it was more like an international circus with alcohol added.

Um, you’re totally right, Kat. One of the other guests was riding around on a children’s bike. It was so much fun just to have nonsense for a night.

Andrea August 9, 2010 at 4:22 am

Buy some high heels for your husband as preparation for the next occasion. That is what i do when my 6’6″ cousin comes around.

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 10:46 am

I LOVE this idea Andrea!! I have very tall cousins too (and even my father is over six feet tall). I’m going to do this for sure. It will be so funny. Actually, I won’t even have to buy the shoes… my husband and I have the same size feet!! :-P

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 10:52 am

Oh, and before anyone starts to worry about my husband’s male ego regarding the wearing of high heels… I doubt that would bother him either. (He and his friends have dressed up in womens clothing before).

Kate August 9, 2010 at 4:56 am

Interesting that some of your readers are concerned about the height difference and your husband’s willingness to have it photographed. I think it shows your husband has excellent self-esteem & self-confidence and also displays that he knows it’s what’s inside that counts!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

Exactly, Kate. And I asked him if it would be okay to put the photo on my blog, and he said “sure, why not?”. Not everyone is so comfortable with themselves as what he is. But of course, if someone tries to make a big deal of the fact that he’s short and they’re tall in an unflattering way, he does get offended. Other than that, we have fun with his height. I can even pick him up! :-) I guess it all comes down to another distorted perception in society — tall is superior, small is inferior (like the silly white and brown skin thing).

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 6:11 am

@Sharell and @Kate
“”Now, I know my husband isn’t the tallest guy in the world, but this is quite ridiculous! See what happens when he’s in the company of a lanky Dutchman (who is 6’6″). It makes for entertaining play time though. Yes, we’re all just a little bit crazy!””

Hahahaha……by the way ur hubby is in great company of Sachin Tendulkar , Brian Lara , Diego Maradona , Lionel Messi ……and ME!

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 6:12 am

forgot to add ” :-) ” after me!

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Sharell

how abt u lifting ur hubby on ur shoulder?? :-)

i am sure u are powerful enough!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Sharell

how abt u lifting ur hubby on ur shoulder?? :-)

i am sure u are powerful enough!

I’m a little bit scared of balance issues. But I do give him piggy backs, and I can easily scoop him up and lift him like a kid just by putting my arms under his legs and back. :-)

Rebecca August 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm

hahahahahah… I have to laugh that the wee gathering I held made it on to your blog!! Those pictures are too funny not to broadcast.. love it!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Rebecca, the funniest one I can’t publish tho of the gymnastics!! 8)

Abdullah K. August 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm

@ Kate:
If it is directed at my comment, I didn’t mean to be disparage Sharell’s husband in any way. It was just a jesty way of applauding him for having the confidence to pose for a picture that most men couldn’t. Having grown up in a country where short men make up the most powerful and efficient political leaders, I would never dream of making fun of a short person.

@ Sharell:
The funny thing is, being a very tall man brings up a host of practical problems that short people don’t have to deal with. I bring out unfriendly complexes in 6 foot men, it is difficult to ‘blend in’ in crowded places and I have to watch my head when entering doors. Also, transporatation systems in most countries aren’t designed for people much taller than 180 cm (~6 feet). And yeah, most of the pretty women tend to be shorter than 172 cm, who I can’t date for…ahem…practical reasons.

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 1:23 pm

It’s okay. I wasn’t offended Abdullah. But exactly how tall are you?! :-o I’m not THAT tall (175 cms) but I can’t even stand up properly in the small room of the beauty parlour that I go to here!! It’s definitely not practical.

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Hey Sharell…..can u tell me who is this “MotherLover” who keep on giving me “thunbs down” on my comments??

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Sorry, I can’t… I don’t think the plug in is set up properly to do that. I should limit it so that only members have the option of ratings… then perhaps I’d be able to see.

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 2:02 pm

“But I do give him piggy backs, and I can easily scoop him up and lift him like a kid just by putting my arms under his legs and back. :-)

Hahahaha Sharell…….will make some pics!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Hahahaha Sharell…….will make some pics!

Alright Indian Pundit, since we don’t take ourselves seriously, I’ve added another pic to the blog post for you! ;-) My husband really doesn’t like being picked up like this though. He’s probably scared I’ll drop him!

Amit August 9, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Ha ha ha— very funny pictures… even I had done exactly same thing on last 31 December in a multi cultural party. There were people from different countries. There were Americans, Canadians, Australians, Germans, Austrians and of-course Indians. I had taken my pictures with an Austrian giant (he was 6’7″). I mean my hight is ok. I am 6. but he was looking way taller then me. even he lifted me like a kid (I am 78 KG). And yes, we had that bonding after 6 shots of Taquila and few glasses of beer.

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 2:51 pm

hahahahahaha…….last one was awesome. Not everyday u see wifey carrying hubby like that…….hahaha….

“Alright Indian Pundit, since we don’t take ourselves seriously, I’ve added another pic to the blog post for you! ;-)

Thank you Sharell…….one more reason to like u!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Thank you Sharell…….one more reason to like u!

So sweet yaar. :-)

Amit August 9, 2010 at 3:41 pm

OMG….hahahaha…. now that what I call Hilarious…a wife to give you swing like a lil baby..you sure a are tuf girl Sharell :)

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm

you sure a are tuf girl Sharell :)

That I am! (I do have a bit of an aggressive streak, and used to train in kung fu and kickboxing when I was younger and not so lazy!). ;-)

It’s awesome to hear of more multicultural bonding like that though. 8) Funny happy times.

I made the Dutchman pick me up too, but he was worried that he was tall but not strong (I’m a little over 60 kg). He did manage to lift me!

Abdullah K. August 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

@ Sharell – “It’s okay. I wasn’t offended Abdullah. But exactly how tall are you?! :-o”

@ Sharell – “I’m not THAT tall (175 cms) but I can’t even stand up properly in the small room of the beauty parlour that I go to here!! It’s definitely not practical.”

At 175 cm you’re pretty tall for a woman living in India. My sister had similar problems fitting in public places when she was in Kolkata last year. Not to mention, people there tend to tease her about being a tall woman.

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm

@Abdullah K
“I am 206 cm, which would be about 6 feet 8 inches. Makes me a sort of misfit almost everywhere.”

Hahahaha…….brother that dutchman has some serious competition now!!!! :-)
and i hope u have a muscular body…….

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm

@Sharell

Giving me “thumbs down” continues……u gotta do something abt it.

most probably its a “right-wing” crackpot who did not like what i posted in my blog.

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 8:27 pm

@Sharell

Giving me “thumbs down” continues……u gotta do something abt it.

Okay, I did something. I balanced it with a “thumbs up” from me!! :-D

Mohit Gupta August 9, 2010 at 8:15 pm

@ Abdullah K

——————————————————————————————-

OMG ..!!! and how could I not see you beeing in the same city. :)
I think , you must be visible from Noida…. :)

Mohit Gupta August 9, 2010 at 8:21 pm

@ Sharell

Your hubby looks like Srilankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara.. both are cute.!

Sharell August 9, 2010 at 8:30 pm

blockquote>@ Sharell

Your hubby looks like Srilankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara.. both are cute.!

Haha, I checked him out and you’re right! He does a bit!

Indian Pundit August 9, 2010 at 8:53 pm

“Okay, I did something. I balanced it with a “thumbs up” from me!!”

Hey Sharell…..thanks a lot yaar. You are just awesome…….

by the way check out my recent post…..

Must have made some guys really angry……..haha

Abdullah K. August 10, 2010 at 11:04 am

@ Mohit Gupta – “I think , you must be visible from Noida…”

I was, but ever since I had a close shave with a flying airplane, I keep my head low.

@ Sharell – “That is indeed VERY tall. Now I know why you alluded to being stared at all the time in a comment a while ago.”

It is and very inconveniently so. I have to be a lot more friendly to un-intimidate people.

nickki18229 August 10, 2010 at 11:46 pm

WOW great photos that guy is super tall they did give me some laughs thought and you hold your husband that was good one. Glad to see that you are having great time with some of your friends.

Claudia August 11, 2010 at 2:18 am

Suuuuperrrrrrr, hahahahahaha!!! Last one was so so funny!! I laughed from the heart, you two are a wonderful and fun couple! Nothing can be better than that!

botham August 11, 2010 at 3:54 am

So a 132 pounder sharell is lifting say a 115 pounder. You seem to have strength girl !. Is it possible that you could trace your ancestry to Captain Cook ? I have read he was tall powerful, a leader among men :).

Sharell August 11, 2010 at 10:49 am

Lol, I don’t think I could claim something like that! The reality is more that they breed country people big and strong in Australia! :-P

Abdullah K. August 11, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I think people who watch a lot of Bollywood films start to get this notion that women are fragile and weak beings who can’t lift heavy and fight.

surya August 11, 2010 at 8:07 pm

…your mom in law will grumble ” giravu gi unko’ ( u ‘ll drop him), if she sees the pics. Your father in law may have a hearty laugh though..yes..
its good to unwind with some other alien residents once in a while

Sharell August 11, 2010 at 8:19 pm

You know what, I think I could pick up my father in law too!! My husband takes after him!! My mother in law is bigger than my father in law. I guess that’s why my husband doesn’t have issues about our height difference. It’s okay for him because his parents are the same way. :-)

Indian Pundit August 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm

@Sharell
“You know what, I think I could pick up my father in law too!!”

and what about the mommy-in-law? :-)
Just imagine THAT!

Sharell August 12, 2010 at 11:49 am

@Sharell
“You know what, I think I could pick up my father in law too!!”

and what about the mommy-in-law? :-)
Just imagine THAT!

Uh, no way, not a chance with mommy in law!! I did pick up daddy in law’s sister one day though. She was being really cheeky, and she’s such a tiny little thing. She was laughing and shrieking when I picked her up. It was funny. ;-)

Nanet February 12, 2011 at 2:49 am

Lol, !! I love this Photos as well as your Blogs, you both have a great sense of humor.

Sharell February 12, 2011 at 8:52 am

Thank Nanet! And welcome! :-)

SNCasanova June 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Hi Sharell! Was surfing the web looking for baby payals for my little boy and came across your blog (that post of the beautiful payal you got!)…started reading and LOVED your entries!! Myself, am originally Indian with a Swiss hubby, so it’s been fun to read about another multi-cultural couple! Cheers to you!

Sharell June 29, 2011 at 12:11 am

Welcome to the blog! I know of a Swiss lady with an Indian husband, so quite the role reversal. They live in Bangalore. You may also enjoy her blog: http://cynublog.blogspot.com/ :-)

Siddhartha Kumar June 29, 2011 at 7:05 am

@Hey Ms. Casanova,

Casanova cool name ! may steal your moniker?

Sounds like your husband maybe a Casanova, eh ? I bet your hawkish eyes are intensely focused on his caddish/Don Juanish moves all the time?

sarah September 4, 2012 at 7:21 pm

i love all ur post…nd when i read it i feel like i am a part of ur story.. i feel like i was there too..hahhaa :D

Sharell शारेल September 4, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you feel that way. That’s the kind of impact I hoped my blog would have… take everyone along with me on my journey!