Delhi Commonwealth Games and the Lack of Accountability

by Sharell शारेल on August 1, 2010

in Daily Life in India

Sigh. Less than a month after the nationwide India bandh, the Indian government and its lack of accountability has again got me riled up enough to write a blog post about it.

Normally, try to overlook the goings-on of the government. After all, I can’t change it. So I might as well accept it. However, this time the issue is closer to my heart. Over a year ago, Comptroller and Auditor-General (CAG) submitted a report on the preparedness for the Commonwealth Games to the government. Not surprisingly, the report found that the government’s preparations for the Games were way off target. What is surprising, is that the report was “buried” by government and not placed in the Parliament.

I just find this completely unfathomable. How can the report not be tabled in Parliament? I’ve mentioned that I used to work in the accounting field in the government back in Australia. What I’ve never disclosed is where I used to work. It was actually at the Auditor-General’s Office — the Australian equivalent of the Indian CAG.

I also spent some time working at the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee — the Parliamentary committee that is responsible for reviewing and following up government budgetary initiatives, and the reports of the Auditor General. (I don’t expect that many of you will be interested in such a dry subject, but I wrote a substantial amount of this Report on the 1998-99 Budget Estimates).

Both in India and Australia, the Auditor General reports directly to the Parliament, and the public. The government is legally required to place Auditor General’s reports in the Parliament. Yet, somehow, this particular report on the Commonwealth Games, full of damning results, managed to miss its tabling deadline. It was to be tabled during the budget session that ended in early August 2009. But, it never happened. What I’m astonished about is how could it not happen? What exactly is going on in the Indian government that allows it to get away with not tabling a report in the Parliament? This is no minor matter. How does the government manage to avoid accountability like this?

Now, it seems that a miracle will be required for the construction works to be completed in time for the Games. Allegations of corruption are all over the media. One swimmer has already been hurt during a test event, due to sub-standard material and poor workmanship. And officials have stated that safety certificates for many of the new Games buildings have been faked.

The Commonwealth Games is a unique opportunity for India to showcase herself to the world, and dispel common perceptions of poverty (Slumdog Millionaire). Unfortunately, this world is being shown a lot of things, and they’re not positive. Apart from the obvious lack of accountability, I find it upsetting because so much potential is going to waste, again because of India’s politicians who are more interested in what’s in it for themselves rather than their country.

© Copyright 2010 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Ramit August 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm

It was very obvious. We all knew it. I’m surprised you still have not come around to understanding the way India works.

Here, the official guys look for ways to fill their pockets. The work can wait. It is very shameful though.

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Oh Ramit, I have… but I want to keep giving India the benefit of the doubt. :-( But this has just taken it too far…it’s too extreme. I’m really shocked and disappointed… and frustrated that the government can get away with SO much! Even the independent bodies who have the power to make the government accountable seemingly can’t.

Jurno Least August 1, 2010 at 2:29 pm

‘Welcome to India Su’

charvak August 1, 2010 at 2:33 pm

a sinaporean – john lee recently wrote that world and mainly east asia fears the rise of china but doesn’t fear the rise of india.

the reason is china can ruthlessly and singlemindedly pursue it’s national ambition. a proof : olympic.
india can’t . a proof: CWG
:D

so even if india in future manages to grow into a huge economy and mighty military , it will never master full national resource and consensus to go against other countries .

india is the other name of chaos and we never change. apparently last time we organised asian games – the preparation was equally disastrous . though somehow it worked well at the end. let’s see what happens this time.

anyway, it is crime that sheer inefficiency and corruption costs us huge money , which we can ill afford.

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Interesting article and viewpoint Charvak. It really does highlight the different between the two countries.

charvak August 1, 2010 at 2:37 pm

“Normally, try to overlook the goings-on of the government. After all, I can’t change it. ”

do you have voting right?

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 2:41 pm

do you have voting right?

No. :-( Only citizens of India have that. And I’m not eligible to become one yet.

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 2:43 pm

charvak August 1, 2010 at 2:57 pm

i agree.
more over CWG will be the last thing in “aam admi’s” mind when they will go to vote.

but if there is really huge corruption , the opposition may give lot of trouble to the govt. and i doubt whether they can suppress CAG report every time.
i will rather blame the opposition for they fail to make adequate noise before and ask for the CAG report.
i guess they were too busy in doing the usual “hindu-muslim” stuff.

bofors scandal ultimately led to an electoral lose of the congress govt. and now as a result they are super cautious in defense procurement.

so , sometimes there are some positive effects and they do fail to get away.
hope , these investigations lead to something concrete this time.

charvak August 1, 2010 at 3:07 pm

i can’t remember who wrote it , possibly the historian ramchandran guha (off topic i will recommend his book “india after gandhi” if you are interested in india.).

anyway he wrote , after independence parliamentary sessions were really productive. they used to have full session and go through serious debates before passing the bills.

in contrast , now a significant time of parliament is being wasted in walk outs. those sessions which does happen – see more shouting than debates.
a good % of important bills are now a days passed without any debate.

in short compared to the first decade of independence – quality of democracy has fallen in india.

Abdullah K. August 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I was in China a couple of months before the 2008 Olympics. Even in cities like Wenzhou, I could sense a national pride in hosting the Olympics among everyday Chinese. For a lot of them, it was a sign that “China has arrived”. It was the kind of self assurance you see in a boy after he loses his virginity.

In India, this kind of national pride seems to be missing. For Indians outside of Delhi, Commonwealth Games is not something that matters to them personally, so there is no pride in it. In fact, the national pride you’d see in other countries is pretty much non-existent here. I am not sure if Indians even feel that ‘Indianness’ among them. They are more likely to identify better with their ethnic or religious identities.

When you have attitudes like this, it is not surprising that politicians and bureaucrats can get away with corruption on that scale. People are disenchanted and couldn’t care less what happens with the Commonwealth Games as long as their personal and ethno-religious issues are given a higher priority.

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Indeed Abdullah. According to this poll below, a whopping 76% of people in India think that having the Games is a waste of money. Many of them have that view because of corruption and misuse of taxpayers money. It really is a sad state of affairs.

Madhu August 1, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I remember Australian people, media being quite ruthless(less tolerance to be correct) against the government when something doesn’t happen the way it should. For example when the public transport was tendered to a private company.
Recently, Former PM John Howard was making public visits to malls and interacting with kids and visitors more often that most people found it disconcerting and felt he was disturbing business. Although not a serious piece this is quite funny contrasting what happens here.

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 8:18 pm

True Madhu, the government gets publicly crucified. The opposition literally jumps on the government too. In short, all hell breaks loose! ;-)

Monsoon Man August 1, 2010 at 7:55 pm

When it takes me 1.5 hours to get back from work to my home, why would I care about the games and the kind of infrastructure we’re putting up for it’s success? I first want to see infrastructure that benefits me and the common man, not for some bunch of foreign players who’ll come down for a couple of weeks and live in conditions that are so contrary to what are normally provided to our own sports persons. India’s moon mission brought me more pride as an Indian than these games ever will. To Hell with these games and our politicians!

satish August 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Ruthlessly and singlemindedly pursuing it’s national ambition would be fun for the average Indian Hindu or Han Chinese. Not sure if minorities, downtrodden and other “undesirables” want to be treated like the Tibetans or Uyghurs though. Chinese media, internet even is fully state controlled to promote only a positive image and dissidence is punishable by death, so it’s impossible for outsiders to know how Chinese citizens feel or about Potemkin villages. Beijing Olympics is easy to accomplish if you put a gun to a peasants head and make him work all day for a bowl of rice. Workers rights are appalling compared to India. Best example is the sudden and surprising collapse of the Soviet Union and the ensuing decades of hunger, emigration, prostitution etc. after presenting a great face to everyone all that time.

With regards to parliament, if the opposition spent a little less time walking out and organizing bandhs the government wouldn’t be so lax. I think it highlights the need for a “shadow” cabinet to monitor each department which is present in Australia and the UK. How many of these corruption cry babies actually vote? Your government will only be as good as you deserve.

Yashasva August 1, 2010 at 9:45 pm

“Even if I could vote, what difference would it make? The people don’t hold the power here. Nothing seems to be able to stop the government from getting away with what ever it wants….”

At least you could have participated in Bharat Bandh ???

Sharell August 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm

At least you could have participated in Bharat Bandh ???

Even if I wanted to participate in the bandh, I don’t have much option to do so since I work from home. It didn’t inconvenience me at all (apart from the fact that I forgot to do the grocery shopping and had no food in the house!). In fact, I enjoyed the peace and quiet! :-)

Yashasva August 1, 2010 at 11:50 pm

you said..
“The people don’t hold the power here. Nothing seems to be able to stop the government from getting away with what ever it wants….”

Unless one participate in some protest march, sue goverment babus, or do not raise questions about planted news reports , how can you say people dont hold power here??? People do hold power here it is just that people like us donot show it.People keep ranting about govt whole life but their contribution towards anything is zero.
An educated person in India never do that. First thing he does after graduation is to find ways to leave India , settle abroad and continue ranting about Govt(even though they have no moral rights to do that).
Govt is not at blame. It is an educated class that is to be blamed.

When I said participate in Bharat bandh I didnot mean you support BJP/SS and oppose Govt/Sonia Gandhi on fuel rise issue. These events like Bharat bandh are to show Govt that people are powerful. If Govt is not afraid of people then who they would be of?

You carried away with the news that Indian industry lost so and so billion ruppes not working on the bandh day but do you know Industry made people to work on Sunday to recover losses? You wont see such stories published in newspapers.

Dont believe all the news printed in Newspaper or shown on TV. When CAG had this report past one year what are India’s ‘non partial’ newspapers/TV channel doing? I think there is always a reason/design why particular story is published and histeria is generated by newspapers all of a sudden.

Sharell August 2, 2010 at 12:19 am

But who’s to say that the common man even wanted the bandh? Were the people consulted and their vote taken about whether to have it? No. It was the decision of a few political parties who wanted to flex their muscles. And the fact that people were made to work on Sunday to make up for lost productivity shows where the power really lies. And what tangible outcome has resulted from the bandh?

Dont believe all the news printed in Newspaper or shown on TV. When CAG had this report past one year what are India’s ‘non partial’ newspapers/TV channel doing? I think there is always a reason/design why particular story is published and hysteria is generated by newspapers all of a sudden.

So, then what’s actually going on with this whole thing? Isn’t the bottom line that the report wasn’t tabled. And if so, why not? There was mention of the contents of the report in the news after it was completed last year (but from “leaked” sources).

Sharell August 2, 2010 at 12:34 am

This article pretty much mirrors my thoughts about the bandh:

Mohit Gupta August 2, 2010 at 1:00 am

@ Sharell

After categorically protesting the “Bharat Bandh” on this blog,I am sensing some revolting thoughts generating in ur mind.
I am afraid , next time Bandha happens, u may lead from the front . :)

I am surprised that ,inefficiency and lack of accountability of Government still surprise you, even after beeing in India for 5 years.

Whole CWG games and projects related to this are covered in corruption and comission.

Nobody, except agencies and companies related to CWG(for finance-related matters), is really concerned about the Games , even in Delhi.

But sharell, dont worry, even if the condition look so poor at the time , going by the Indian way of execution , it will defintely be completed before the Games start. I can bet on it :)

@ Satish

“How many of these corruption cry babies actually vote? Your government will only be as good as you deserve.”
———————————————————————————————-

What kind of argument is this?Many people voted thats why goverment has been formed and just because the voting percentage was less than 100% , does it give gov the right to be less honest than 100%.
Honesty doesnt comes out of percentage but intention.I think India was less corrupt , when nobody had the right to vote in the era of monarchy.

dilip pinto August 2, 2010 at 9:48 am

a well written article sharell. well personally for me it was a chance for us as Indians to prove that we can host an event(smaller scale than the olympics) in a organised manner… lets hope that the event goes off without any inconvenience caused to the athletes

Ramit August 2, 2010 at 10:47 am

A lot of us do think that the Comonwealth games are a waste of money. Im guilty too. But I strongly feel that if India had handled the preparation of the games in a linear and just manner, most citizens would be glad to have a chance to host something so big.

The preparations of the games have left Delhites with a sour taste in the mouth. The roads are horrible, half the city is dug up and then the rains come.

What results is a city with the Games happening in about seventy days time, with the city dug up, phones dead, no water in taps, no electricity for hours on end, spiraling prices of everything and non availability of basic resources.

I overheard somewhere that London is hosting the Olympics or something like that in two years time, and they are already ready to go.

Can you beat that in India?

Sharell August 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

I agree, I would be annoyed and upset under those circumstances as well, Ramit. That’s the really frustrating thing. India has huge manpower and capability, and did have plenty of time to prepare…. yet, it’s all come down to this. A huge mess, inconvenience to the general public, and waste of money. Not to mention India receiving bad media coverage around the world for the corruption issues, etc. :-( How can the authorities just leave something as monumental as this to the last minute and expect to get away with it?? Is it just too much sab chalta hai… koi baat nahi… ho jayega attitude?

satish August 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

@Mohit
————————————————————–

Oh no, I agree with you entirely. I was referring to the practice of stereotyping Indian politics as corrupt and that people are powerless to change it. If one feels this way then one can always vote for the least corrupt. Stereotypes become reasonable behavior over time if one doesn’t appreciate the good or uncorrupt, which unfortunately don’t make good copy.

@Sharell
In Australia do the civil service pass on every document to the relevant shadow minister? Lack of a shadow may explain why it’s easy for our government to bury things, not to mention the low levels of debate.

Sharell August 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

That could be one reason. Plus, in Australia the lines of accountability are strictly followed. For example, the government must provide a written reply to every recommendation in every Auditor General’s report. This is followed up on by the Public Accounts and Estimates Committee (a parliamentary committee), who report to Parliament on it. There is a similar structure in place with the Public Accounts Committee in India ( http://www.cag.gov.in/html/unionaudit.html ) but I wonder how effective it is?

Jerry Singh August 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm

India…thy name is chaos.Their must be God,however, since somehow India functions in spite of this chaos ( and all odds)!

chris August 2, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Sharell, I think you are now old enough to know the truth about modern India.

This all harks back to 1947. The nation had just thrown out the villainous British from India, after a 300-year-long struggle, undertaken mostly by the Hindus of India ( the British hanged only Hindu patriots, never the Muslims). Mahatma Gandhi, suffering from a bout of King-Lear-like-senility, mistakenly handed over the keys of the Government of Independent India to his bad protege, the scoundrel Jawaharlal Nehru, while overlooking the just claims of his good and faithful protege, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.

Since 1947, the Congress party of Nehru has mis-ruled india, and has driven India to the ground.
The Congress policy of pandering to the nation’s Moslems, in order to secure their votes en-masse, has left the majority Hindus marginalized and de-humanized in the very country of their ancestors.

In order to maintin their illegitimate hold over the country, the Congress needs huge amounts of money. This money, they get by periodically enacting huge financial scams :

1) Bofors scam, for purchase of Howitzers from Bofors.
2) Cattle-fodder-scam.
3) Submarine-deal-scam with Germany.

The present Commonwealth mess is just an artifice, a ruse, to net sackfuls of illegal money for the Congress coffers.

And now you know as much as the rest of India does !

Mohit Gupta August 2, 2010 at 9:58 pm

No , India is not only about chaos.There are many more things , we should be proud of ,about India.

It just that , with such a large population and political states, anything which is chaotic , stands out from the many good works going on in India.

For example the New T-3 terminal , which was part of CWG games projects was bulit under record time and took only 37 months , which is way less than the time taken by London and Singapore for smaller terminal to built as which was around 60-70 months with grater passenger handling capabilty at 43 million.

Take a case of Delhi Metro , which has never failed on its deadlines and is justified to say that its one of the best metro network in the whole world better than Sub-way in Newyork and Tube in London.
It not what I assume but the judgement of a responsible journalist of nytimes, Lydia Polygreen.just read the following link.

Blame Indian system for the bad things but applaud them more for the good work done by them , as its required to boost the morale of technocrats.

Jerry Singh August 2, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Blaming Congress only (are BJP or CPM any better?) or dwelling in the past is not the answer.
The only way to check corruption is to severely punish those who are convicted of corruption.China has executed senior party officials, mayors, businesspersons, etc.; even then corruption has not been completely eliminated.When was the last corrupt politician seriously punished in India (forget executions)?
What gets measured, gets managed—and what gets rewarded (or punished) gets done (or not).The basic problem is inability or unwillingness to deal with problems like corruption or inefficiency in a democracy.And even in an autocracy, as in Indonesia under Suharto, corruption can flourish.Perhaps a “guided democracy” like Singapore can work in the indian setup.I remember the much maligned “emergency” during 1975-77 fondly, when trains ran on time, bureaucrats behaved,and there were no”bandhs”……

Sharell August 3, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I agree! Does anyone remember the case of Sukh Ram, the Minister for Telecommunications in the Central government in the mid 1990s? He was involved in an equipment purchase scam. When his house in Mandi, in Himachal Pradesh, was raided, wads of money were found hidden all over the place. The Congress party promptly expelled him on moral grounds. So what happened next? A professional politician, he was unfazed. He formed his own regional party (Himachal Vikas Congress), and won the Feb 1998 elections in Mandi by a huge margin. Since the two main parties (Congress and BJP) couldn’t secure a majority on their own, he became a man of power. No guesses as to what happened next. Both parties wooed him, because they couldn’t form a government without him!! In the end, the BJP (who had stalled Parliament for days to protest against the telecom scam) won him over and welcomed him with open arms. In the BJP government that was formed, he was the de facto deputy chief minister.

So, the Congress party expelled him on moral grounds but tried to woo him back when he could make a difference to the power equation. The BJP invoked moral indignation to crucify him, and also wooed him. The voters of Mandi didn’t care less about his corruption. To them, he was a patron, who at put Mandi on the telecommunication map of India, and created employment and boosted local incomes.

The moral of the story: people’s attitudes to corruption need to be changed in India. People readily express moral outrage about corruption etc, but it doesn’t lead to any resolve. That’s because as long as the desired outcome can be delivered, the way it is delivered is overlooked. This is why the Indian political system tolerates so many people with criminal backgrounds. If these politicians can deliver the goods, then it doesn’t matter that they may not be of good character. Plus, corruption is seen as a way of exercising power over people. Need something done? Well, I have the power, so pay me for it/give me what I want or it won’t happen.

Mohit Gupta August 3, 2010 at 12:26 am

@ sharell
why am I on the moderation check-up counter for last two days.Is this a technial or academeic requirement.?

pl put me off it.

Sharell August 3, 2010 at 2:16 pm

@ sharell

All posts with links automatically go into the moderation queue… so it’s technical.

Mohit Gupta August 3, 2010 at 12:30 am

@ jerry

Sharell August 3, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yes, and it was also incomplete when it got inaugurated. The opening of it had to be delayed a month because the infrastructure wasn’t ready. Never the less, I wrote a very positive blog post about it for my India travel blog. http://goindia.about.com/b/2010/07/03/new-delhi-airport-terminal-t3-is-impressive.htm

So, this proves that India is very capable! It makes the Commonwealth Games debacle look even worse… :-(

Mohit Gupta August 3, 2010 at 12:31 am

@ jerry

It not what I assume but the judgement of a responsible journalist of nytimes, Lydia Polygreen..

desiderata August 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Wow you really can’t say ANYTHING to criticise India and how it’s run without running into hyperventilating defenders.

Sagar August 3, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Feels strange.. But I am siding with Mani Shankar Ayyar. I hope it rains well. I would pray for ‘unsuccessful’ CWG. With so much money wasted we might get 2-3 medals (Shooting, boxing and may be Badminton). All these money could have been spent to uplift the poor. Why can’t I protest? Why my money (tax payer’s) is wasted on unnecessary things? And there is a UP Govt. Mayawati says she doesn’t have any money for implementing Right to Education but spends 235 Crores for her own statues through out UP. Yes.. somebody clearly told.. Politics is the last resort of a scoundrel.

Sharell August 3, 2010 at 4:06 pm

The lack of priorities, and waste of money, when it comes to spending does make me shudder. There was to be a similarly expensive statue in Mumbai.

satish August 3, 2010 at 5:23 pm

@Sagar
This argument riles me every time – “money could have (instead) been spent to uplift the poor”

How do you propose to use the money to uplift the poor?
- You have to give them jobs like constructing stadium and roads etc.

If you give them money directly instead of a job there will be even more corruption involved, and we risk creating a benefit culture.

I’m frustrated with the state of UP. However remember that Mayawati is democratically elected. If people are too thick and buy her “it’s all an upper-caste conspiracy” shtick each time then perhaps they do deserve to live in the stone age. The smart ones will migrate South and hopefully they will relay the message back to their brethren.

Sagar August 3, 2010 at 5:37 pm

@satish

You have to give them jobs like constructing stadium and roads etc
Construction of roads ok, stadiums not ok. We need Hospitals, schools, budget homes for poor.

Unnecessary money, I meant this -> 4 Lakhs RENT for AC, 9.7 lakhs RENT for treadmill (Harrods of London can sell the exercise machine for £10,000, or about Rs 7 lakh), 42K for 100 ltr fridge !!!, whopping Rs 40 crore will be spent to LEASE a helium blimp (balloon).

And this guy (Suresh Kalmadi) wants to bid for 2019 Asian Games as well.

Amit August 3, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Reading about this in news papers and hearing on news channels. The people behind all this know very well that they are in India and nothing can happen to them. Maximum there will be a case filed against them (if some miracle happens) and the hearing will go on and on in court till they die. After that their family and their children will have an eventful (countless of events) life with the money that has been milked by the milkman like the President of IOA (Indian Olympic Association) from the super healthy cow (Indian Government). People who are crying about this scam (yes its already a big scam) will soon forget about it very soon and will elect the same politicians or their brothers in next public election. This is how the things are running in India currently. If it was in China or some other middle east country they would not have dare to do this kinda of scam on such a big level. Indian government had every thing when Delhi was elected for the 2010 CWG games. They had plenty of time and plenty of resources. But, everything happens here at last movement. We the people of this country need to think seriously what we need and what we are getting. The day we will think about it, things will start changing. Just through away people like current UP chief minister and other politicians like her out of the Indian politics. At the end, deep down my instinct says that the CWG games will not be a big failure if not very successful. There is hard work of a lot of people behinds the constructions (they are still working night and day) and hard work never fails.

Amit August 3, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Suresh “Kalamity” Kalmadi has got to go !
Suresh Kalamity has been running his Sports-Ministry-Mafia for the last 20 years. This Kalamity person has also been a Congress MP from the Pune constituency for the last 20 years. Pune hates Suresh Kalamity, with a passion.

The city of Pune has been held hostage to his unreasonable whims for the last 20 years. Every year, the roads in Pune develop enormous craters, at the very earliest onset of the first monsoons. Every year, people die in Pune due to accidents caused by the presence of these enormous craters on the road-surfaces of Pune. Tragically, the Government funds earmarked for improving the infrastructure of Pune all get diverted by Suresh Kalamity to his pet projects, like the Pune Youth Games, and the Pune International Marathon.

Who in Pune cares about an International Marathon or the Youth-Games, when the roads and the traffic-conditions in Pune are so insanely bad every monsoon, that whole cars fall into the craters on the road-surface ?

Every year in Pune, huge money is doled out to certain favoured road-construction-contractors, for the purpose of refurbishing the roads after the punishing monsoons. Every year, these favoured road-contractors deliberately use sub-standard construction-material and methods, to ensure that their handiwork lasts no more than one year, so as to ensure that they receive renewed road-refurbishing-contracts every successive year !

Under Suresh Kalamity’s Sports-Administration (Mafia), Sania Mirza, India’s pathetic little tennis-nymphet, was played in the Beijing Olympics, despite having a well-advertised nagging wrist injury for over a year. True to her wont, she crashed out in the very first round. Post match, Sania essayed the role of a valiant marty, who had played for her country, despite her injury.

It was very selfish of Sania to insist upon representing India in the Olympics, when she was fully aware of her wrist-injury. It was very shameful on the part of the Sports Administration (Mafia) of Suresh Kalamity, that Sania, and not the rback-up eserve player, was fielded in the Olympics.

Now, this Suresh Kalamity is engaged in a massive scam, related to the Commonwealth Games. Of course, Suresh Kalamity is only doing the bidding of his Master, Madam Antonia Maino, and all the billions of dollars he stands to make in the CWG scam are all earmarked for the Swiss-bank-accounts of the damn Congress.

Alok August 3, 2010 at 9:23 pm

In the end It’s all about accountibility.CWG organisors know that even after doing such a scam they will be able to get away with it.Such a scam at this level cannot be done alone by one person.Sad part is we will never be able to know who are the actual culprits.What happened at IPL Mr. Modi did it all alone and BCCI was not involved with it.What a joke.

Our governance agencies and our IAS officers stopped working independently long time ago.I will be overly optimistic if someone will be punished for this.

Alok

Abdullah K. August 3, 2010 at 9:59 pm

@ satish – “Best example is the sudden and surprising collapse of the Soviet Union and the ensuing decades of hunger, emigration, prostitution etc. after presenting a great face to everyone all that time.”

@ Ramit – “What results is a city with the Games happening in about seventy days time, with the city dug up, phones dead, no water in taps, no electricity for hours on end…”

There is a massive renovation of the city going on, so these inconveniences are only to be expected. Once all this gets over, living in Delhi is going to be with much better experience for the common man. At the very least, Delhi is going to have a decent public transport and is going to look more like a world city.

Indian Pundit August 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Look the fact of the matter is…..India has a very wrong concept of development.

“8/9% Growth rate” , “investment climate”, “great power” , “super power” etc etc defines india’s development vision. This CWG is a part of that “great power status ego” exercise.

India would do well if it improves the conditions of sport in this country.
in the last Olympic games , India got just 3 medals. A national shame. This 35,000 crores that could have been spent in building sporting and other infrastructure throughout the country instead of only where ELITES LIVE

Indian Pundit August 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm

“The hunger, emigration and prostitution happened *after* the Soviet Union disintegrated. It was the result of the economic collapse of the Gorbachev era, not the consequences of the Soviet system.”

@abdullah……..spot on.

A recent survey shows that 57% Russians actually feel that USSR collapse was a great loss for them

Gautam August 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Each nation has a soul. The predominant character of the India is spiritual. That is why India is so unsystematic. The nature of the soul is to be free. It is the human mind which creates systems. Western civilization is predominantly a mental one ie. the modes of working are those born from the human intellect. That is why the West relies on systems for sound functioning of system.

But India has always relied on soul and not on the mind in creating civilization. So there is less adherence to systems. Ancient India was very successful indeed using soul force. But Nehru tried to make India into one big England. He imported all the systems form England and brutally mutilated the soul of India. The soul of India is very sick because of mutilation done by Nehru. Therefore the mind and body of India are also sick.

The Indian philosopher Aurobindo warned against adopting Western systems and imposing them on India

“In India we had nothing of the mental ideal in politics. We had a spontaneous and a free growth of communities developing on their own lines. It was not so much a mental idea as an inner impulse or feeling, to express life in a particular form. Each such communal form of life—the village, the town, etc., which formed the unit of national life, was left free in its own internal management. The central authority never interfered with it…The English in accepting this system have disfigured it considerably. They have found ways to put their hand on and grasp all the old organizations, using them merely as channels to establish more thoroughly the authority of the central power. They discouraged every free organization and every attempt at the manifestation of the free life of the community. Now attempts are being made to have the cooperative societies in villages, there is an effort at reviving the Panchayats. But these organizations cannot be revived once they have been crushed; and even if they revived they would not be the same.”

What India needs now is to recreate the entire socio-econimical-political fabric based on it’s own soul. This rubbish parliamentary system has to go at all costs. It is simply not for India.

Mohit Gupta August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm

My question to sharell ,asking the reason of moderation check-up was disliked four times , so that its unvisible.I am amazed.What was there in it to dislike.It was not politilical , social , financial , religious, racial , regional or linguistic in nature but just plain personal curiosity..

Seems some people have a very linear way of thinking.

Tuhin August 6, 2010 at 4:44 am

Sharell: True Madhu, the government gets publicly crucified. The opposition literally jumps on the government too. In short, all hell breaks loose!
———-

Thank God for the “tall poppy” syndrome :P

Mind you, the crucification of government in the media need not correspond with the voter’s opinion regarding the same. Else, the incompetent NSW Labor mob would not have held power for as long as they have!

Manny October 16, 2010 at 10:01 am

Remember this.

The congress Party and one single feudal family (Nehru Family) has ruled India for 85% of the time since its independence. Now we have India’s own Eva Paron keeping the thrown warmed up for her two children.

The congress Party and this family need to own up to the mess.

They almost bankrupted the nation in 1992. The most cruelest thing this congress party has done is to promise the 600 million living in abject poverty that this party is there to take care of them. No “intellectual” from Delhi can take care of 600 million. That is the cruelest joke of all.