Sunday Morning Contentment

by Sharell शारेल on October 24, 2010

in Daily Life in India

Post image for Sunday Morning Contentment

I’ve had a blissful Sunday morning. Breakfast at our local Aromas cafe, followed by relaxing at home downstairs. Reading the newspapers, inhaling the gentle smell of incense, listening to birds chirping, and then all of a sudden hearing a random Bollywood song start playing. The perfect India moment. Such simple contentment.

(The seat in the picture is what’s become of our old bed. It’s the new chill out zone).

© Copyright 2010 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Annie October 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I would have loved to drop by and enjoy those peaceful moments with you !
Here, in Brussels, it’s only 6°C this morning !!!
Luckily, I’ll soon be back to India …
Have a nice sunday ! Luv

upasna October 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm

completely relate to such a morning! :)

Barns October 24, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Awesome. Moments like that make it hard to imagine leaving, amirite?

JAYESH October 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Happy Sunday, Sharell!

The Sofa looks tempting!
But I want to sit on the swing! :-)

I like to wake up at 10 in the morning and smell the sheera that Aai makes!
Then, I complete my abulutions, participate in the Puja and I have my breakfast, then read the newspapers, two English and two Marathi.

I doze off and wake up for lunch.

Study somewhat then doze off again.

In the evening, go for a nice walk with friends!

Sundays are the best! :-)

I can laze around all day and be as immobile as a furniture at my home!

Parishkar October 24, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Really a very Indian type of experience. This is a rapidly growing world & I do not whether people in other countries could afford such leisure and be contended with that.

Sunday is normally a day, when everyone is at home; no office – no school and its just perfect a day to spend with family. I really miss my childhood Sundays :( . My mom used to cook a special dish every Sunday, as rest of weeks she does not has much time. She would learn a couple of recipes every week from neighborhood aunts and we would replenish on them at Sundays.

I have been raised a very diversified society. The locality contains people from every part of the country.

Meri mummy jab bhi koi special ya regional dish banati, mujhse pados mein rahne wali aunties ke ghar bhi bhijwati thie. lagbhag aisa hi sabhi aunty log karte the, one of the common duties for teenagers :)

My mom and aunts in neighborhood learnt many recipes in this way and we tasted far more than any other normal kid would. This enabled me to mix with other peoples when I move out for further studies, as I can cook dishes belonging to various regions, so made a lot of friends.

As you have experienced sunday provides an opportunity to reconnect with innerself, your friends and family. A day for leisure, observation, enjoyment, to read something new, to follow your hobby, to do something for the people you love, to spend time with them, to create new bondings and to contentment.

The perfect India moment ( as Sharell mentioned) contains a very important factor: to observe . To observe your life, surroundings, nature, dear and near ones and be drowned in that, leaving the worries aside and contended with the situation.

Sometimes when I see rain falling beside my office window or pleasant surrounding I miss my childhood. When we have to care so much about earning, our responsibilities and future. Sunday provides an escape from all these to those feelings/experiences.

Sharell, your last post was about beggars. have you thought how these beggars spend their Sunday morning or afternoon. How the prisoners in jails, how the Jawans at Border, How the people in old age homes or mental hospitals spend their Sunday’s. We are really fortunate for being able to cash such an opportunity.

Kushnasib hai hum sab jo aise chhote-mote moukoun par Zindagi dobara jee lete hain, kuch cheejein sahi kar lete hain. kuch rishte sudhar lete hain; kuch apno se pyaar kar lete hain.

Congratulations for having and experiencing a perfect Sunday !!!

Grace October 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Lazy sundays are wonderful!!

The weather in Melbourne today was absolutely divine.

If I wasn’t so cranky I would have gone to St Kilda to soak up some vitamin D!

Nicki18229 October 24, 2010 at 10:53 pm

AHHH that looks so peaceful I WISH I was there. I love peaceful lazy Sundays like that

Laureen October 25, 2010 at 2:25 am

Gosh, I miss Mumbai. I am so jonesing to get back.

Kate October 25, 2010 at 4:09 am

Pretty much describes Sundays at my house in Melbourne. Even down to the Bollywood song, which isn’t random, as it’s been put on by me!

The only difference is that at my place there are kids, so the papers are interrupted for “I’m hungry” and various other demands!

Michele October 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm

What an inviting place to relax! I enjoyed reading Parishkars comments, I agree. CHEERS! Michele

honeybeeluvsjackfruit October 26, 2010 at 6:24 am

Absolutely love your space. Wish I was there!

Parishkar October 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm

@Michele

Thanks Michele. I never knew that you can read and understand Roman Hindi. I have a habit of mixing English with Hindi. Many of my foreigner friends are learning Hindi and I am quite adept at using Hinglish.

Although Sharell has been quite generous in ignoring my grammatical and other errors, I would try to use English more in my further writings.

Sharell October 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Parishkar, no problem with your English at all…it’s excellent and I’ll never complain about anyone’s grammar when English isn’t their first language. I like Hinglish too. :-)

marathi October 27, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Wow! That’s great! You can understand Hinglish??? well have you ever come accress Minglish? BTW, this short note is really nice! I everyday enjoy this moment since I am from a samll town!

Sharell October 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Well have you ever come accress Minglish?

Not really, but I’ve come across Marindi!! Marathi mixed with Hindi. My maid talks to me in it to try and get me to learn Marathi. Apart from Marathi, she can only speak Hindi (no English), so normally we talk in that. Then she starts throwing Marathi in and totally confuses me!! I’m from a small town too, and really miss it some times. :-)