The Beauty of a Bloom

by Sharell शारेल on May 30, 2011

in Daily Life in India, Inspirational India

Post image for The Beauty of a Bloom

Often, things in life aren’t what they seem.

There’s a plant in my rambling garden that, sadly, I admit I’ve looked at a bit disdainfully on more than one occasion. Its foliage is patchy, trunk flaky, and it doesn’t even have a good shape. I thought it looked unsightly and wondered what it was. Nevertheless, I watered it and cared for it.

Today I found out. It’s a hibiscus with a beautiful red bloom. As soon as I saw the bloom, my feelings towards the plant changed. It wasn’t so ugly after all. Immediately I began to like it.

Yet, hibiscus flowers only last for a day. I wonder if I’ll still feel so positively about the plant tomorrow. At least it’s served as good reminder to search beyond the surface to find the inner beauty in things. You never know what’s on the inside.

The hibiscus (with a palm leaf leaning on top of it).

© Copyright 2011 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Dips May 30, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thats a good learning. But fret not. In my experience once a hibiscus plant starts flowering, it flowers endlessly, with a number of blooms! The one we had at my grandparents’ place in Calcutta had at least 10 blooms on any given day. Ask your neighborhood gardener for a tip to make it start flowering.

Sharell May 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm

That would be lovely. There is a gardener who comes to tend to the communal garden so I’ll ask him. We’ve been here a year and a half now, and this is the first time I’ve seen the hibiscus flower. (I did have a smaller one that I bought and it flowered all the time. It ended up getting sick though, there’s so much mould around with the humidity).

TAMASHA! May 30, 2011 at 2:46 pm

@Sharell,
With a little love that hibiscus will keep blooming through the monsoon & up til October/November.
I have a beautiful tropical garden here in Nepal with flowers I could never grow outside in California…orchids, hibiscus, ginger lilies, bougainvilla, papayas, bananas, poinsettias.

Sharell May 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Yeah, it’s a whole different growing environment for me too (where I come from is similar to Cali). I’m not sure of all these different exotic plants and what to do with them… but they are beautiful.

TAMASHA! May 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

@Sharell-
There are several garden guides online, one of the most useful for the tropical Asian subcontinent is from the University of Florida. This guy is an expert on hibiscus : http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/
Ideal sun conditions for hibiscus growth and flowering include two to four hours of direct sunlight with the rest of the time in partial shade. A fertilizer high in potassium promotes flowering also. My Nepali gardener makes his own high potassium fertilizer out of wood ashes & cow urine.

Sydney May 30, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Yes! The bloom is beautiful! I think you will enjoy many more soon. I’m sure you already know this, but it helps it bloom more if you pluck off the dead blooms and/or leaves as soon as they are done. I had a hibiscus and I would do this with great success (but it was in Texas where the heat and humidity are high, but not as high as where you are, for sure!). I can’t tell from the picture if you have more blooms set to go, but I hope so. Would love to see another picture if it explodes with blossoms! Beautiful garden.
“Often in life, things aren’t what they seem” — great reminder. Thanks.

v May 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

wow,you have the ability to make posts out of nothing.
but like india,you reveal yourself ”little more” each time.
sometimes i wonder what makes you see nothing but the best in life.

and yeah,mumbai never gives you an eyeful as far as nature is concerned,so all it took was that wordsworthian flower to bring out the poetess in you…

Annie May 30, 2011 at 9:33 pm

May you too continue to bloom in India, Sharell !
Many thanks for bringing always the best of you to your readers !
Warm regards to you and your husband !

Nicki18229 May 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

That is good lesson! What a beautiful flower yes to Google or ask your local Gardner how to keep it blooming till fall.

Arti May 31, 2011 at 7:12 am

Just shows that beauty lies everywhere but not all can see it!! What a lesson to learn and through a humble flower… The bloom is beautiful, have a great week ahead:)
My Yatra Diary…

Jeanne May 31, 2011 at 11:50 am

The hibiscus will do much better if the palm leaf is removed; it’s blocking the light and putting stress on the plant through its weight. Also, feeding the plant with manure will increase the number of blooms so others will take the place of those that fade.

v June 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

hey Sharell,

vote for this if you like it.
i could not coz i had to sign in then :-(

the link-

manoj June 2, 2011 at 1:59 am

i like…:-)

Val June 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Happy hibiscus day!!
You can have many more, if you give some more light to the plant and trim the branches a bit. It is such a wonderful flower! You can even make a tea of it, just pick the flower and soak in 90 degrees water for a while – great health benefits! or just put into your hair :-)
Gardening in a different climate is quite a challenge, I have been discovering the indian garden for 3 years an gave me so much happiness!

P June 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Just one hibiscus and you are in love with the tree. I wonder what will happen if you see a hibiscus tree with innumerable flowers :) The red against the green looks b’ful, does’nt it? Also the exotic shape of the petals and the stamen with it’s yellow pollen :) My childhood home had scores of these……