The Shock of Seeing a Saip (White Person) in Kerala

by Sharell शारेल on May 24, 2011

in Snapshots of India

Post image for The Shock of Seeing a Saip (White Person) in Kerala

Quite a while ago, I wrote about the unfortunate culture shock experience that resulted when a “brother” from Kerala, unaccustomed to the ways of the western world, came to stay at my house in Melbourne for a while.

But what happens in Kerala when people see a white person, up close, for the first time? My friend Barnaby, who lives there, has written an amusing article titled Saip Shock about it over at the NRI.

I’ve been to and lived in quite a few places in India where a white person is a strange novelty. I’ve been photographed, dragged aside to meet every visiting family member, and endlessly questioned and examined. But, I’ve NEVER had the hair on my arms stroked and called soft. Well maybe that’s because I’m now a Mumbai-wali and get it all waxed off, yaar!

Note: the above photo has been (unskillfully) digitally edited by me in a lighthearted manner. (Sorry Barnaby, I’m sure you’re not THAT much of an attraction!).

© Copyright 2011 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Barns May 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Hey, wow, thanks a lot!

Sharell May 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Heheh, you should’ve snarled at them like one! :-P

prashanth May 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

[Quote]“The hair-stroking episode was completely surreal. It was truly like being a zoo animal.[Quote]

Oh really? …..Okay, I do understand those problems. I’ve traveled extensively in Europe and there were good enough times, when I felt like a Zoo animal, as I like to travel to far-flung areas and explore ‘em. Apart from the countries with immigration background (America, Australia, NZ, etc), you see this happen in many countries. Of course, it is a bit incredible in Incredible India. Although it is exhausting in India, it get’s easier once you know that most of the people doing that are curious and not hating you, for being white. It is nothing when compared to the hate stares/crimes that happen in the west. Anyways, I do accept that this thing has to be addressed.
——————-
[Quote]“saip, n. /saɪp/
Etymology: Malayalam derivative (properly transliterated ’sayippu’) of sahib, Urdu/Hindi term meaning ‘owner’ or ‘proprietor’ used for white rulers
Definition: A white man. Usage has extended beyond its origins as a respectful/subservient term; it now applies simply to all white men.[Quote]

@Barns

Can you please provide us a link, from where you got that information? (specially the part which says ‘white rulers’ and ‘applies to all white men’). Sometimes, it feels like you folks are still stuck up in the colonial times, which was just for a couple of hundreds of years. Sahib just means ‘Owner/Proprietor’…It can be used to anyone, irrespective of skin color. Please don’t add things and change it, just like ‘Robinson Crusoe’ claiming a non-white guy, to be his slave, just because of his skin color.

Barns May 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Hi Prashanth, first to address your question – I wasn’t at all implying that ‘sahib’ was used exclusively for white rulers. If you look again, you’ll see that I said it does indeed mean ‘Owner/Proprietor’.My information comes from Wiki sources and from many in-person conversations with people here. I’m sorry if it seemed like I was twisting the words; at the same time, I think the usage of ‘sahib’ has come to be associated primarily with white-skinned foreigners. As for ‘saip’, that does apply exclusively to all white men in Kerala nowadays – my source in that is three years of living here!

As for the first part of your comment, please don’t worry, I know there’s nothing at all malicious in any of the episodes I describe. It’s curiosity, plain and simple, and that’s a wonderful and valuable thing.

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 2:41 am

@Barns

Thanks for clearing this up, with a nice response. I wasn’t trying to be offensive…just wanted to point that out and also say that I experience the same things in Europe. I also acknowledged the fact that these problems exist. Nothing else!

charie May 31, 2011 at 3:08 am

@ Barns

I’ve read about African-Americans who have had the same experience. However they feel that it is not very friendly, that there is more hostility and even fear.

banterjee August 25, 2011 at 2:17 am

I’ve spent brief but significant periods of my life in kerala, and, at one time, spoke colloquial malayalam fluently.

I’ve never heard the word saip/saippiu used to mean owner, proprietor, ruler, or person of “superior” rank or position, in the same sense that sahib is in hindi. In ordinary, spoken malayalam, saip/saippu is used exclusively to mean caucasian or person of european descent, no matter what the provenance of the word is.

There’s a further, critical difference in usage: while sahib (“saab”) is often used to address someone with suitable obsequiousness, saip/saippu is nearly always used to refer to (speak about) caucasians, never to address them. It’s not a derogatory term either.

I’m appalled at the audacity of the person who stroked Barns’s arm. Malayalees are some of the cleverest people i’ve known, and I’m sure that the stroker knew that he was violating the norms of civil behaviour. he was probably testing barns’s limits, or perhaps had taken a bet with his friends that he would feel barn’s arm.

Amit Desai May 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

No no no no. It was less like being a zoo animal. It was more like a scene from Spielberg’s or Cameron’s sci-fi movie. Here it how it goes.

Some time, somewhere in the past, there was a formation of human civilizations. They had primitive tools to hunt. They used animals in farming. They cut woods to light fire, cook food or build houses. They worked under harsh natural conditions and worshiped nature. They had only imagined aliens until they had their first real encounters with the real aliens.

The aliens, on the other hand, believed in and were driven by three major principles or instincts, aka 3i instincts. They were driven by these instincts because these instincts helped them spread their alien culture through out the world and probably the universe. First principle or instinct of aliens was invasion. Aliens were infamous for invading other similar or distinct living creatures and organisms. As a part of this process, they used to send one or more members of aliens to these human civilizations to study them so that they (aliens) can prepare the strategy of invasion. A second instinct of infection was used by aliens just before or after the invasion. Aliens implemented different strategies of invasions and infected humans until they realised that it is essential to be a human to invade human civilizations thouroughly. So here comes a third major and the most advanced level instinct of aliens – infestation of aliens into human form. This instinct of infestation has been putting the process of invasion/infection to an unprecedented success, although, this process hasn’t come to an end yet. So there are still humans not yet infested completely by the aliens. There are still humans for whom the aliens or their looks or their cultures are quite, aliens, ofcourse. ;)

TAMASHA! May 24, 2011 at 11:22 pm

@Amit the Gujarati hottie-

Wasn’t that ‘Invasion of the Body Snatchers’?

Amit Desai May 25, 2011 at 3:59 am

Invasion of the body snatchers was made in American context and had the allegoric ideas of alienation in modern societies such as U.S.

My fictional story has a larger and different context.

Characterization and backdrop:

Aliens: This alien tribe appeared somewhere, some time in the past. They possess amazing looks, high intellect, creativity, and physical prowess when needed. Though this tribe, in its original form, is almost non-existent because of its advanced-level principle of infestation.

Psuedo-Aliens: These are the previous human tribes infestated by the Aliens completely. They are also known as 3i samples. Many members of these tribes possess the same superior traits of the aliens while others exhibit failures of the same superior traits (thanks to 0i samples).

2i Samples: 3i samples are the human tribes who are affected by all three instincts – invasion, infection, infestation – of aliens and reached a matured/final state. So 2i samples are the human tribes who are affected by the two instincts of aliens. There is a way to decide which two out of three instincts have affected the humans. And it’s also possible for aliens to jump to the advanced-level of infestation skipping the first two instincts.

1i Samples: The ones who are affected by one single principle of aliens.

0i Samples: These are a sort of recursive tribes. They are not driven or affected by any of three instincts of aliens (0i). They keep resulting from a need of diversity. Since aliens look, act, and think so similar to one another, they lack diversity in humane ways. So they had to develop some mechanisms on evolutionary curve to have diversity within. So technically, 0i samples are aliens themselves who are resposible for creating a branch-like system (a caste-system or hiearchy) among aliens themselves. They are the ones who are hard to be detected or studied. They also span through all the aliens and human tribes and often confuse the aliens more. These 0i tribes are the most dangerous of all and would also conflict with aliens incessantly.

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm

@Amit-
Flesh out some characters, major plot & some minor subplots to tie it together & you have a premise for more than 1 book or 1 movie………..maybe a trilogy!
;)

Amit Desai May 26, 2011 at 3:03 am

I had already written a 200 pages script, but last year, my laptop hard-drive got crashed one day all of a sudden and I lost much of the work (and I didn’t back up). I don’t know anything about biology/genetics, so my girlfriend was helping me as she has an anthropology/biology background. But now she doesn’t care because I didn’t back up. Though, the second half of the plot is clear in my mind as it relates more to computer science than biology.

The 3i Samples (psuedo-Aliens), soon begins to evolve to a known possible advanced-state of 4i Samples. This is also when the biotech becomes one with the computer science in future.

4i Samples (invasion, infection, infestation, and instinct): These are the the most advanced form of Aliens (and humans) who can not only infest, infect, invade others but also use instincts as memories (this is the only reason why aliens were driven by the three instincts in the first place – to create perfect aliens in human form who can leverage human-like diversity to enslave all the life on earth and in the universe.

This is how it works in simple words: you get hungry now (driven by instinct), you eat something. You follow this routine everyday. Though, you don’t remember what you ate on 25th May 2007, do you? Now if you can use your instincts as memories, you remember every second of your life, what you ate, what you broke, on what time, what day, what hour. So you are basically a programmed-computer in human-form with flesh-bones-desires and a perfect picture of you past, present, and possibly, future. Now the question is why exactly do Aliens want all this? who controls you or them at the end? All life on earth is controlled, then what?

This is where I’d combine some of the Indian ideas of philosophy/spirituality/God with science and fiction. What’s purpose of our (aliens’) life, are we (aliens) conscious enough of our actions? Or are we merely driven by our instincts only at the end just as all the life on the earth is! This is also when the story would switch back and forth to human-like-thinking and alien-like-thinking, and at the end of story, everything falls back in its place, and it makes sense who exactly we think we are in one possible way. ;)

Amit Desai May 26, 2011 at 3:17 am

Oh yah, not to mention, the 0i Samples keeps trying to fuck up everything for the 4i Samples. 0i samples also relates to some of the philosophical/mathematical ideas, such as zero and nothingness.

TAMASHA! May 26, 2011 at 10:56 am

@Amit-
I know its a bit old fashioned but how about a notebook (with real paper) & writing or diagramming the outline/timeline/plot? Given your aptitude for pattern recognition, compartmentalization & organization it should be easy.

Amit Desai May 27, 2011 at 9:17 am

Umm, that’s a good suggestion. Thanks.

Sharell May 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

You really like LSD hey? :-P

Amit Desai May 27, 2011 at 9:37 am

It makes you see the world the way you don’t normally see. Though, my story is a fictional portrayal of the real-concepts.

For example, aliens appeared somewhere in the past. They invaded the local people. So at any given point in the present, aliens are hypothetical entities of the past that no longer exist. Though, their descendents (pseudo-aliens) keep trying to make sense of their existence and the past in order to make a perfect future. It’s an endless struggle of life for them.

In larger context, this is what we all do no matter where we come from. In Indian context, it’s even truer, just replace the word ‘aliens’ with the word ‘aryans’ and the story would explain every aspect of the past of India as well as current existence of Indians in an indirect mystical way.

prashanth May 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Looks like you are watching a lot of Sci-Fi stuff lately or Stanley Kubrick entered into your body! :P

Amit Desai May 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’m possessed or infected by Stanley uncle.

TAMASHA! May 28, 2011 at 1:17 pm

@Amit-
Have you read Doris Lessing’s Shikasta?

Amit Desai May 29, 2011 at 2:34 am

I have heard of Doris Lessing, though never got a change to read her books. Have you read them?

TAMASHA! May 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

@Amit-
Yes, I’ve read many of Doris Lessing’ books. Shikasta is her sci-fi novel that’s gotten the most acclaim. Shikasta has a theme similar to what you’ve described (alien hybrids, infestation etc.) but with an odd Sufi bent. your ideas seem much more organized & realistic than the world of Shikasta.

prashanth May 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm

@Barns

Here’s something to prove you again that you posted false information. This stuff is from Wikipedia (not the best, but better than yours) :

“The term sahib was applied indiscriminately to any person whether Indian or Non-Indian. This included Europeans who arrived in the Sub-continent as traders in the 16th Century and hence the first mention of the word in European records is in 1673.”

Jubes May 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I live in London and while this has never happened to me in London, I have had very similar experiences travelling around Europe – with people coming and touching my arms and saying how beautiful my skin colour is. While I am mostly amused, I find it slightly rascist (whether it is taking place in Italy or in Kerala). I know they find me exotic (less so now that 12 years ago when I first came to Europe)…but they dont really need to treat me like I am an exotic animal! I live in Kerala for two months of the year with my white husband and I know he does sometimes feel like an exhibition piece.

Jubes May 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm

@Prashanth – I cannot speak for the term “Sahib” but in Kerala the word Saip is only used in relation to white men. It is not used in a derogatory or subservient manner today irrespective of its origin. Tracing the orgin of a word does not mean that the person in stuck in a particular time, it is just showing how that word originated. Simple as that. I am sure there are similar words in different languages used for “outsiders”. In Valencia (Spain) for example, non-Valencian Spaniards are called Churros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churro). Wierd but true!

Barns May 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for that, Jubes, and for sharing your story. Racism is everywhere, and positive racism is just as insidious and discriminatory as negative racism, though its effects tend to be much less hateful.

Still, I think that racist responses cannot always be construed as judgmental or completely lacking in empathy – and that’s how I’m comfortable with just about every kind of response I get here.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 4:16 am

“I cannot speak for the term “Sahib” but in Kerala the word Saip is only used in relation to white men.”

This is simply not true.

My Bro in Law is a col and a commanding officer. He has a Jawan who hangs around his house and he is from Kerala. He refers to my Bro in Law as Sahib. In fact, the word Sahib is very commonly used in the Indian Armed Forces. Jrs often refer to Srs that way.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 4:19 am

Since Sahib and Saip are the same. Its how its pronounced maybe? Unless someone is writing it out..

“Sahib came to the party along with another Saip”

Then we have to conclude an Indian boss came along with his gori friend?

Barns May 25, 2011 at 9:24 am

That’s really interesting, Manny – I had no idea. In my experience, though, there is definitely a difference in meaning – ‘saip’ is a derivative of ‘sahib’, no longer a direct equivalent. I say that it’s only for white men because I’ve been told this countless times by friends and acquaintances here: it used to be a term for people of higher stature, but now it just means ‘white man’. And trust me – that’s definitely how it’s used! I hear it 100+ times a day if I’m out, and have never once heard it in a non-white context.

Amit Desai May 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

Manny,

This doesn’t make sense logically – “Sahib came to the party along with another Saip”. If you are using the word sahib equally for both Indian and foreign masters as you seem to claim, then you use a sentence like this – “Sahib came to the party along with another (gora) sahib”. North Indians use the word sahib only and have distinct pronounciation of sahib than that of the word saip. In bollywood movies, the word is pronounced as *sa’ab* and *maim-sa’ab*. For goras, they use *gora-sa’ab* or *gori-maim(sa’ab)*. Similarly, Mallus must be using the word ‘saip’ only. These two words can never be used in one sentence in real-life, logically. Besides, these words are misnomers to begin with.

South India has quite a few misnomers borrowed from north India only during the British raj. One other example is the word “curry”. I have seen almost all south Indians calling “this curry” and “that curry”. In northern India, almost nobody used the word “curry” until very recently. At the same time, no Indian literature has ever recorded the word curry before the British Raj.

Basically, in Hindi, the term for vegetable is “tarkarri” where the term ‘karry’ or ‘curry’ is derived from. Another possibility is of the word “kadi” or “kari”, a flavoured sauce made of curd and eaten with rice and plain “daal” in Gujarat and Punjab.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 10:56 am

If what you, Jubes and Barns are saying that the word “Saip” is not the same as “Sahib” then this the first I have heard of it.

Is it a Kerala thingi? I don’t believe there is such a word in Tamil or anything similar in Tamil. I can’t recall.

Whelp! You learn new things everyday.

Amit Desai May 25, 2011 at 11:39 am

It’s possible that it’s Kerala thing. Hindi borrowed the word sahib from Arabic. In general, Malayalam has borrowed a lot of words from Hindi (and also from Sankrit). I’m not familiar with Tamil.

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 11:46 am

Stop showing your intelligence Amit, it’s disconcerting and totally against your image!!! :-P

Amit Desai May 26, 2011 at 1:23 am

It is equally hard for me to pretend to be intelligent, but your newly edited photo drags me back to my real self. Observe closely where Barnaby is looking at? Not a right place to look at for sure. :-P

Sharell May 26, 2011 at 9:34 am

I know, but I didn’t have many pics to choose from and I’m not very skillful. :-( …. but at least it’s in Kerala. The town where he lives actually!!

TAMASHA! May 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Like Barnaby & Sharell in India I’ve been stared at, poked, prodded, photographed, mercilessly questioned, and examined.
One of the funniest things I’ve been asked in India was to take my shoes off & show my feet. Why did they want to see my feet? They said they wanted to see if my skin was white “all over’. So I obliged, & a little boy began rubbing my feet quite vigorously. No, he was not a juvenile foot fetish delinquent he just wanted to see if the ‘whiteness’ would rub off like paint! ;)

prashanth May 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm

First off, if you have obliged to do whatever they asked for, then you are either totally stupid or just making up this story. Gradually, I’m starting to believe that you are someone in TAMASHA’s (aka white woman) disguise (which a lot of Pakistani’s do – specially in the western countries), trying at every opportunity to make India look like a shithole or just bring bad reputation to India.

TAMASHA! May 24, 2011 at 7:43 pm

@prashanth-
You certainly are cranky lately. First you attack Sharell’s friend over some trivial colloquialism, now I’m stupid for taking my shoes off?
Not getting any lately prashanth?

prashanth May 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

@Tamasha

I wasn’t attacking anyone…The information that you post on some internet site is read by different people of different mental capabilities..So, care should be taken to post correct information. There’s already enough damage done to India, just because of this kinda documentation (Eurocentrism). I’ve nothing against Barns…I don’t even know him. (Sorry Barns, if you felt otherwise).

“now I’m stupid for taking my shoes off?”

If it wasn’t an airport and if you just take off your shoes, just because some stranger asked you, what else would someone call you?

“Not getting any lately prashanth?”

Gonna give me some?

Sharell May 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Oooh, I sense opponents shaping up for another round!. Mohit could even be sidelined for a while, while Seeya jumps into the ring too!!! :-P

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 2:55 am

Yeah, go get some popcorn to watch us fight!…hmm…Schadenfreude! :P

TAMASHA! May 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm

@ meany-pants prashanth-

Well, to put it into context I was on a train with hubby somewhere between Delhi & Agra, we were talking to a couple with 3 small children & I was going to take my shoes off anyway.

I don’t care how many BMW convertibles you have, you better get your head around that MASSIVE INDIAN INFERIORITY COMPLEX of yours if you want to land that little fraulein of yours.

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 2:36 am

“I don’t care how many BMW convertibles you have”

Look lady…Don’t refer my old posts, assume things and resort to personal attacks…I’m not a rich bugger….just one face in the crowd.

” you better get your head around that MASSIVE INDIAN INFERIORITY COMPLEX of yours if you want to land that little fraulein of yours.”

I don’t have any complex (inferior or superior) and I don’t feel inferior or superior to anyone…I argue things with my fellow Indians too, the same way I did with @Barns…What is appalling is you claiming to have worked for ‘Medicins Sans Frontiers’ and behaving like a hooligan, on this blog…It’s really a shame for someone, who claims to have worked for that well known organization.

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 8:53 am

@prashanth-

You wrote:
“Look lady…Don’t refer my old posts, assume things and resort to personal attacks”

YOU are the one starting the PERSONAL ATTACKS regarding this post, calling someone ‘totally stupid’, a liar (‘making up this story’) or a Pakistani?.
Why don’t YOU take your own advice & cut with the personal attacks?
What’s the matter, a white woman with strong opinions & a hectoring tone doesn’t fit with your myopic world view?

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm

“So, just what EXACTLY about my story that makes India look like a SHITHOLE? ( to use your own words)”

@Tamasha

Just search for anti-India rants on Google or this site and you will find the moniker ‘Tamasha’ tagged to all the negative stuff. I don’t deny the fact that some of your posts were good, but with all the negativity, I wonder what is your purpose and how are you related to India. Although there are many people who fit your stereotypes, I’m not one and I take offense when you paint me with the same f**kin’ brush.
————-
“Yes, I’ve worked with ‘Medicins Sans Frontiers’ , also UNICEF, the CDC, and currently for WHO with a children’s immunization program.”

@Tamasha

After knowing this, I think you should be more shameful of your comments (specially the hair pulling stuff with Mohit).

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

@prashanth-
Well, you still haven’t answered my question:

As far as Mohit & the rest of these Vedic warriors go, they NEED their cages rattled every now & again. Lets activate some new neuronal pathways & shake them out of their narcissistic complacency! It is possible to despise BOTH Muslim extremism & Hindu nationalism.

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Well, I answered that already…I came to that conclusion, after considering your posting history.

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

@prashanth-
Interesting, I googled my moniker & only found a Maharashtrian Folk Theatre, a bar named Tamasha, Kareena’s weight-loss tamasha, TAMASHATV, some article about that barmaid with the bad rhinoplasty Rakhi Sawant, assorted folk plays and definitions for 3 pages. Absolutely NO anti-India rants. I only post under the moniker TAMASHA! on this blog, all other blogs I use my real initials ‘BB’………are you SLANDERING me Mr. prashanth?

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 8:25 pm

“Interesting, I googled my moniker ”

@Tamasha

HAHAHA…Did you really do that? Ok now, search for your comments on this site and report back! :P
———————–
“all other blogs I use my real initials ‘BB’…”

@Tamasha

Is ‘BB’ an abbreviation for ‘Big Boobs’ ?!?! :P

Mohit Gupta May 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Tamasha ,

“Cages” , “Rattled” ? Oh really ? By Abusing Parents and late grand mothers of these non- existent “Vedic Warriors” ..?

Narcissist ? Hindu Nationalism ?

How and where do you get these Ideas from ?

Though , I am not related to Hindu-Nationalism in any way but if these people really exist they are far far far less harmful to the world in general.

Hindu-Nationalist don’t go around the world , bombing people of different religion without any provocation or reason.I know you will come up with 3-4 cases which are still to be proved in courts.

Sorry for late reply , I couldn’t notice the comment which you wrote in my praise.

TAMASHA! May 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm

@Mohit-
You wrote-

You know by saying things like this you make Indians & India look REALLY REALLY BAD.

Mohit Gupta May 30, 2011 at 1:45 am

Tamasha ,

Who the hell care for any American’s point of view about India and Indians?

Did Americans care or raised their voices in 1971 , when India was in war with Pakistan , your Army sent an Aircraft Carrier to support Pakistan , equipped with nuclear missiles and were about to bomb Kolkata just like Heroshima and Nagasaki.

That was when Russia intervened and chased American Naval Ships.When Americans don’t care about Indians why should Indians be worried about what America or Americans think..

World has changed and so is India.

prashanth May 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm

[Quote]‘Christio-Islamists like you, having trademark arrogance of America, are most dangerous combination and needs to be exterminated from this world in ideological sense by applying A.C .currents in their head and D.C current in their heart using thyristor and Heavy Duty Capacitors to act as reactive agents.’[Quote]

@Mohit

Yeah Mohit…..Like Tamasha said, the above part of your comment was pretty bad. Control yourself, when you post your comments here and remember not to take ‘Freedom of Speech’ for granted. If you keep on posting things like that, someday you will be held accountable for that. Also, remember that you don’t always have to post huge comments, to convey your message….Brevity is the soul of the wit!

Mohit Gupta May 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Prashanth ,

What do you think about this one ?

“As far as Mohit & the rest of these Vedic warriors go, they NEED their cages rattled every now & again. Lets activate some new neuronal pathways & shake them out of their narcissistic complacency!”

Where the “Code of Conduct of freedom of speech” went then ..?
Why didn’t you come for my rescue then ?

If you didn’t come then you absolutely have no right to control my freedom of speech,now.Any way my freedom of speech is not regulated by anyone but myself only.

And if still , you need to teach it to someone then either Arundhati Roy or Tamasha should be your prospective students.

Regarding being accountable for what I post , then I should tell you that its something which you shouldn’t worry about.I take complete responsibility of what I say and don’t fear the consequences !

prashanth May 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm

@Mohit

What Tamasha used is very politically correct. If you had done the same way, I wouldn’t have replied to your comment. You don’t have to believe me…Just take both texts to some lawyer or court and figure it out, yourself! What you said is no different from what terrorists do or what happens at Guantanamo Bay. Go figure! :)

Mohit Gupta May 30, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Prashanth ,

I am not going to oppose what you believe or say.

I will just say that I don’t classify correctness as “political” or “non-political”.What is “correct” is correct , politically or not.

And if someone has the audacity to put me with Islamic-terrorist just because I confront him/her for talking shit about Indian and Indians.Then don’t expect me to be “politically-correct” a term which I don’t believe in.

I don’t have to go to lawyer for every minuscule issue.I cant figure out that if someone , being a doctor can shake me with “neuronal activation” to bring me out of the so called “Narcissistic Complacency” then why I , being an Electrical Engineer , can’t “shock” them with mild AC/DC current to exterminate their supremacist ideology.

Professional knowledge at work in a blog !

I hope , you got that what I wrote is different from what “Terrorist do” and what “happens in Guantanamo Bay” and if you don’t then you have all the way to court and lawyers.I just love them.

;)

Manny May 25, 2011 at 4:35 am

Tamasha, Do they do this in Kashmir too?

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm

@Manny-
Nope, I’ve not seen that in Kashmir.

Elena May 24, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I was stared at and photographed a lot while in India. I was ok with it though I didn’t oblige any requests, but my boyfriend and his mom seemed to be embarrassed about it. I told them they shouldn’t be ashamed of it as this will probably happen when my boyfriend will visit my family. I come from a small and remote Eastern European country and I have never seen an Indian in my town, also I have never seen an oriental there (though I did see a black guy once). This competes with any remote Indian village right!? Well, he did come to meet my family and to my surprise throughout his stay there he didn’t get one single differential glance from anyone! I can’t explain it – either my nation is less curious (bad), more courteous (good), or they just took him for a gipsy (hm)?…

prashanth May 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

“they just took him for a gipsy (hm)?”

LOL…..Do you mean Roma’s, when you used the word ‘Gypsy’? It is possible knowing that Roma’s look a bit similar (brownish) to Indians (specially, North Indians). Actually, Roma’s are said to have migrated from India to Europe, ages back (donno how true is that). Are you from Ukraine /Romania?

Mohit Gupta May 30, 2011 at 2:24 am

Come on !

Foreigners come in India as backpackers with a camera in their hand , taking pictures of all “Strange to their Home-Country” things , events and animals (specially our Gaay-Mata ;) , obviously without taking permission from anyone.

They stare at the our “Holy-Cow” in the road and say “Holy-Shit”.They see people living in slums and say WOW ! They are obviously amused seeing our different colors , festivals , cuisines , traditions , attire and attitude.And “keenly” observe them.

But , in this whole process of truth-finding if they are being watched harmlessly by our ignorant and curious countrymen , it becomes so rude and objectionable that this STARE has given many birth to online forums , posts , blogs and even books.

Isn’t it amazing ???

seeya May 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I dont know how this article by Barns is supposed to be any different from yours, since both are from the perspective of a white person about Indians. You do appear self-righteous from time to time, if not downright racist.

prashanth May 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I wouldn’t call it Racist…Most of the times, people who play the racist card or people who attack foreigners/immigrants/expats are weak-minded and inferior. I know how it feels to be in Sharell’s or Barns’ position. So, don’t stop ‘em from venting their frustrations of living in a totally different setup!

Sharell May 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Hey, does anyone know of any blogs written by Indians who are living in the western world, including about their experiences and perceptions of white people. I’d be very interested to read…..

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

theindiansabroad.com

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm
Amit Desai May 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

#6 by Ryan on June 21, 2010 – 8:28 PM

Indian men have very small penis, that’s why white girls are not sexually attracted to indian men. That’s also why alot of indian girls go for white and african men.

:-P :-P

Sharell May 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh god, where and how do you dig this stuff up!!! lol.

Amit Desai May 28, 2011 at 11:56 am

I didn’t even have to dig at all. I landed on the article you posted link to (from theindiansabroad.com). As I was skimming through the article, I quickly stumbled upon the 6th comment – the most useful one.

I guess dirty minds find one another through some spirituality-type connection. :-P

Amit Desai May 28, 2011 at 11:58 am
Sharell May 24, 2011 at 10:47 pm

How ridiculous. It was the Indian who was behaving in racist way by singling out Barns, stroking the hair on his arm, and making him feel uncomfortable like a zoo animal! :-P Is your inferiority complex acting up? Can’t us white people have any perspective about Indians without being called racist.

TAMASHA! May 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm

@Sharell-
Geez what happened to the old PC, cool, calm & collected prashanth?
Ever since he got a white girlfriend he’s been kind of UPTIGHT!!!!
;)

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 2:27 am

@Tamasha

Je comprend Anglais? Do you speaka Engrish? When did I say that I got a new gf? That is past and that past is much before I started posting here! Lady, you need to go to some lunatic asylum and get your grey cells checked!

TAMASHA! May 25, 2011 at 8:54 am

Ooooooooooh, somebody’s a litle touchy about getting DUMPED.

prashanth May 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

@Tamasha

I’ve never dumped someone and I was never dumped, but if you want my dump, you can have it…LOL …If you can’t believe it, feel free to assume whatever you want…You know, whatever makes you happy! :P

@Mohit

Take over! :P

Mohit Gupta May 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Prashanth ,

Don’t you know I was doing overtime time all these days and now I am on leave.Bear with the new project or subject , that is , Tamasha

Amit Desai May 29, 2011 at 1:57 am

Prashanth,

The rule of thumb for break-ups:

In the cases of men-women relationships, if a man is dumped by a woman because he was a cheating on her or being a complete jerk to her, then eventhough it is the woman who dumped the man, the woman is a loser here(because the man had indirectly dumped her long ago by cheating on her.)

Now if a man and a woman break up because “things don’t work out”, then man is a loser and can be considered “dumped by the woman”. This is because although no one partner has dumped each other, looking at the chemistry of straight couples, women always have upper hand in such cases.

In a modern world, it’s still a man’s primary responsibility to control his woman, by making her emotionally attached to him. If a man is successful in doing that, he can easily change her and make her compromise more. So even if “things don’t work out” between them, the woman would be the first to submit and compromise.

So if you were not cheating on your German sweetheart or being outright jerk to her. You were dumped by her 100%, my friend. ;)

Amit Desai May 29, 2011 at 1:59 am

“This is because although no one partner has dumped each other”

The correction to above statement: This is because although no one partner has dumped the other.

Manny May 29, 2011 at 4:34 am

“In a modern world, it’s still a man’s primary responsibility to control his woman, by making her emotionally attached to him. ”

Oh Lord!

ROFLMAO. Now, You are going to be in trouble for that.

Amit Desai May 29, 2011 at 6:28 am

Haha, this is why the purpose is to dump the woman or get dumped by the women.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 4:43 am

Sharell,

The reason I suspect it irritates a lot of people when “a perspective about Indians” is made this way is. Most educated and classy people of India would not behave like this. But when some ferangies come to India, they write about their experience they have with the peasants (India has a large population of peasants) and write it as “a perspective about Indians” No decent self respecting Indian wants to look up at goras and goris as superior just because they are goras. Many do not like other Indians when they pay reverence to goras. So when Goras write about these experiences, its irritating to many decent Indians.

You can’t blame them, can you?

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

That is a very interesting point and I’m glad you made it, as some understanding really needs to be shed on the matter. It makes sense when you put it that way. See, for most foreigners, when we visit India we don’t have any racist thoughts in our minds at all and we don’t have negative feelings towards the “peasants” (we will treat a peasant the same as any other person). We are just bemused by the constant reactions we get….. and so we write about it because it’s so strange and often amusing to us to be treated that way. We don’t realise that Indians are actually a bit touchy on the topic, it doesn’t even cross out minds. Just like Barns told me, it didn’t even cross his mind that anyone would take offense to what he wrote in a light hearted mannner. We are blissfully ignorant and naive, and often incredulous that anyone would be so interested in us!!

Amit Desai May 25, 2011 at 10:53 am

Exactly, if you don’t differentiate between a peasant from an elite in India, then when Indians are attacked by Australians, isn’t it reasonable for Indians to perceive all the Australians as racists at first? Why do you expect Indians to differentiate between criminals, Lebenese/Islamic descents, and other Australians?

Seeya is as right (or wrong) as Gayatri. When a white person writes/talks about unusual behaviors of many Indians as “the typical Indian behavior” (in this case, typical behavior of Keralites), it puts many sensitive and graceful Indians in a shameful and frustrating situation. (I personally don’t mind any jokes as I’m shameless. :-P )

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

Good and interesting point.

Rabbit May 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm

@ Sharell,

i disagree a bit… i think its similar everywhere. Most indians migrate to cities abroad (big cities) due to the nature of job they migrate in (law, IT, Finance, Taxis in NY, or grocery stores in big cities ;). Now, since they are usually in the so called cosmos and in US, Europe etc the cosmos are almost always ethinically advanced due the “black-white” race conflict that has been for ages. So a brown or a yellow (chinese) – does not feature much in the calculation of curosity. Also these cities do not have a real rub of shoulders between the “rich” and the “poor” – saying this as pretty much everyone is on same “social awareness stage”

Now lets move an Indian to lets say the southern states in US or villages in other countries (again not big cities there) like the red neck zones, or may be north dakota small towns or non touristy part of vermont (giving US examples) – i tell you – you get:
1) wierd looks
2) once on vacation with my gf (european) , she was wearing orange, and a family of four with two little kids started screaming from across the road “hare rama hare krishna” – one she was in orange and second with an indian…
i mean imagine a counry that is atleat 40 years ahead of India in the development curve…i dint know what to respnd… so i said “hail hitler” …

3) Lastly i think india is the only country where the poor and the rich rub the shoulders – literally in same sq feet of space… every other country usually has segregated colonisation… look at 8 mile road in detroit. All said and done it still is the largest divider between the so assumed affluent whites and the so assumed not so affluent blacks… i think evren today while not on surface so much is the black white divide (no matter what people say) – no one really has time for browns especially when they themselves live a shy and coy life…

in india there is so much migration from villages into big cities that they would definitely look at forigners as if they never saw one… just like “Billy Bob” from Gastonia in NC would look at an Indian or a black man in his farm house… almost definitely with a gun in his hand…

disclaimer: PLS NOTE – I USED “COLORS” Just as convinience of typing and undersatdning. To me all people of all races are equal and even the “colors” i have used is with respect and beauty.

TAMASHA! May 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm

@Rabbit-
LOL
I wondered if anyone would bring up the ‘rednecks’ & ‘ol’boys’ in the US. Apparently they have ‘rednecks’ in Australia too (is this true Sharell?)
If you take the above posts & substitute ‘redneck’ for ‘peasant’ it works!
The difference culturally is Indians tend to treat those they deem lower than themselves(peasants) with a certain contempt, even I as a white woman native to the US wouldn’t dare to treat a ‘redneck’ with contempt. Like this joke implies:
Q. Why did the redneck girl cross the road?
A. To start a fight with a complete stranger for no reason whatever.
;)

Sharell May 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Oh gosh, yes, they are called bogans. And you’re right, you must handle them with care or else end up in a fight!

Sharell May 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm

For anyone who wants to know more about the Aussie bogan (pronounced bow-gan):

Also referred to as a yobbo (pronounced yoh-bow).

TAMASHA! May 27, 2011 at 10:52 am

@Sharell & Rabbit-
One of my Kiwi friends sent me a list of jokes called Aussie Bogan Etiquette:
Never take an open stubby to a job interview.
Always identify people in your paddocks before shooting at them.
It’s tacky to take an esky to church.
If you have to vacuum the bed, it’s time to change the sheets.
Even if you’re certain you’re included in the will, it’s rude to take your ute and trailer to the funeral.
Dim your headlights for approaching vehicles, even if your gun’s loaded and the possum’s in your rifle sight.
When entering a roundabout, the vehicle with the largest bull bar doesn’t always have the right of way.

;)

Sharell May 27, 2011 at 10:58 am

I would like to laugh but I see it comes from a Kiwi and they are our biggest “competitor” (both countries like to poke fun at each other) and I wouldn’t like to give them the satisfaction! :-P

Rabbit May 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm

@ Tamasha,

ya i have had some experiences here… but pretty much treated like “italian” where ever i went (read with intended pun) … lol… unless i did scream “hail hitler” … am sure many must have googled who the damn hitler is …

ok so i will tell you a joke (again this is not be racist) but read it some place…

you know you are a redneck when …. The bluebook value of your truck goes up and down, depending on how much gas it has in it.

another one: you know you are a red neck when You think taking a bubble bath starts with eating beans for dinner.

worst one…. you know u r a red neck when… You think genitalia is an Italian airline.

*****with all the respect to red necks… i know many here and they are amazing people and great fun to be with… and more than anything else – very very helpfull…

Nik May 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Good point Manny.

That being said, barns is a funny guy. That post was hilarious, especially the part about his co-worker D who kept staring at him.

Barns May 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm

“I dont know how this article by Barns is supposed to be any different from yours, since both are from the perspective of a white person about Indians.”

There are innumerable factors that make Sharell and I different people with different perspectives. That’s what makes our writing different, even if the topic is similar.

I say again, the post I wrote was not written out of any frustration, but with humour. If there was a point to it, it was to give a sense of the balance in my life between being a white man and becoming a Mallu (a common topic of mine). Maybe it just isn’t funny to you?

seeya May 24, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Nothing against you Barns. Sharell started the post (with a previous blog of hers in reference), and I thought it meant that your article was the reverse of that -> Indian view of westerners. My mistake.

Although, dont hold it against me if I dont find all you write as funny.

Barns May 24, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Not at all! Everyone has a different sense of humour.

Sharell May 24, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Hey, my blog post that I referred to was supposed to be funny too. You don’t find either of us humourous. :-( Oh well…

Gayatri May 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’ve been a regular reader of your blog yet have never commented. What prompted me to respond to you are the negative comments here. My word of tax free advice ;) ignore the haters and keep writing your posts are not racist or self righteous in fact they are awesome and I love reading your perspective. So keep up the good work!
P.S:I thoroughly enjoyed the Saip’s blog :) Plz do keep adding such links.

Sharell May 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Hi Gayatri, welcome! You’ve definitely brightened the tone of these comments. Seeya is known to be a bit of a temperamental fellow anyway. ;-) Glad to hear you liked Saip’s blog too… there really was humour in there for the others that missed it!

Barns May 24, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thank you, Gayatri! And I agree with you – haters gonna hate, and support is worth so much more.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 5:00 am

IF you are referring to Prashant and his post as a hater. You maybe wrong. He is irritated maybe, but not hateful.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 3:22 am

So Barns,

Have you traveled to other parts of India? Do you get the same treatment or is this something peculiar to Kerala and Mallus?

Barns May 25, 2011 at 9:29 am

I haven’t – my personal writing about India is almost exclusively focused on Kerala and Mallus.

Manny May 25, 2011 at 3:32 am

My Q to goras who have visited India.

Do you get treated differently (Sahibisque) by all class of Indian society or only by the poorest and less traveled or the uneducated ones?

Manny May 25, 2011 at 3:48 am

About the word “Sahib”. It’s not uncommon for peasants and servants to refer to other Indians as Sahibs. When I was a kid, I was often referred to as Chota Sahib.

BTW..I have been closely following the Chicago Trial of a Pakistani Terrorist by the name of Rana who was assisted by another Pakistani by the name Hadley who helped the Pakistani ISI to execute the Mumbai Massacre.

I was just looking at the e-mail trace that was presented in the court. In one of the e-mail Hadley has written to Rana. Apparently Rana is a sr to Hadley and hence his courtesy to the sr. This is how it goes.

Quote:

Chaudrey Sahib, I have some preliminary information and I am forwarding them to you. As I get more info I will send it to you too..My number is…….

End Quote

Manny May 25, 2011 at 3:48 am
Indu May 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Hi,

being a mallu born and bought up in malluland let me clarify the saip thing…

The word is saip.. it means a gora foreigner, it does not refer to his social standing at all unlike the word ” sahib” . Yes it might be a corrupted form of sahib but daily mallu usage does not have the word sahib.. The mallu jawan has surely hr8 the word sahib from his north indian peers in army. The female form of saip is madamma . Also Amit, Malayalam derivies itself from Tamil and Sanskrit , it has no hindi influences barring maybe 1 or 2 loan words

s May 25, 2011 at 4:32 am

“Hey, does anyone know of any blogs written by Indians who are living in the western world, including about their experiences and perceptions of white people. I’d be very interested…”

check out the feminist blog link given,
seems you switched continents with her.
this is a bengali journo who lives in with her australian partner and has a baby girl.
this brown babe talks about racism in australia,her baby,feminist issues and everyday life in melbourne.

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 9:50 am

Awesome! 8) Thanks will definitely check it out. Even better that it’s an Aussie based blog too.

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 10:14 am

Just read the post that you linked to! I’m loving the blog already (even though I’m not much of a feminist). I want to sit down and read the whole thing. But damn, I have so much work to do, it will have to keep for a while. Thanks again for sharing it though.

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

Oh, what she said below…. this is exactly what happens between my husband and me too!! :-) His exact words in fact!!

Ranted at Partner. He heard, cocked his head, hugged me BIG, kissed my forehead and said, “It’s ok for you to be angry as long as you remember I am not them; I love you.” Sigh. He good man.

PerthStorm May 25, 2011 at 4:41 am

interesting post… I was in India last year (and will be back next month) the city I visited is not one tourists normally go to.
I was stared at, followed, asked questions etc..
Did I mind ?
Partly because I was warned about it beforehand and secondly I stood out- who wouldn’t be curious?

Barns May 25, 2011 at 9:31 am

You put it far better than I ever could!

vikram May 25, 2011 at 6:54 am

laughed heartily when i read on an expat blog that the blogwoman reckoned her trip to India as incomplete till she sat on a pachyderm.fool i thought.i was born here and never even mounted a horse…
India as the land of snake charmers? bwahaaa
and why they come HERE to get married? wat’s the fad?
why ALL the Indian celebrities at Cannes are somehow named as aishwarya rai?

barns documents an isolated incident.typically,

vendors chase to sell their wares,
some come to just have a stare
locals to hear u speaking like ‘chewing a gum’,
rolling your tongue, it’s all fun
some laugh,some have an eyeful,
some to mislead
and some to plead…

vikram May 25, 2011 at 7:13 am

celebrities named aishwaya rai?
why?

Amit Desai May 25, 2011 at 9:33 am

The picture used here is not taken in Kerala. Looking at the red pillars, the architecture of the buildings, the cold weather, and the Indian peasants dressed up in winter, the picture is taken somewhere in upper-central parts of India, such as Rajasthan, U.P, or M.P.

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 9:47 am

Well, done. I did know that but I it would’ve taken time to source another one, so I just used the one that came with the article. ;-)

Mohit Gupta May 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Amit ,

Good observation !

You are a keen observer.Then why are you wasting your time in writing codes?

Get hired by Discovery or Animal Planet as wild-life photographer..
Also the style of wearing Saree in the picture is very much North-Indian and NO Lungi ..how the hell can this be Kerala.. ;)

Right now I am in Ashram Express , going to your state in Ahmedabad ..

Any message for your folks ? :)

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

NO Lungi ..how the hell can this be Kerala..

It wouldn’t be a lungi in Kerala anyway… it’s a mundu. ;-)

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Good observation !

You are a keen observer.

Amit is getting more compliments from people in one day than he’s got all year! :-)

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm

But alright, you two observers, I’m going to change the picture…. I’m in a fun mood today and I’ve got one I’m gonna Photoshop a little. I hope the Saip won’t mind!! :-P

Amit Desai May 26, 2011 at 4:37 am

You can give them the same message you just wrote to me. “Get hired by Discovery or Animal Planet as wild-life photographer..” “why are you wasting your time in writing codes?”

Though, you’d probably get the same reply I always get, “You and your wavering mind, last year you wanted to become a model or movie director, now a wild-life photographer? You are a wild-life youself. What drugs are you on these days! All this instability because you started eating beef and wandering with those goris”

BTW, writing code takes a lot of observation skills. One spelling mistake somewhere in a 10 pages long code related to another 10 or 100 programs would give you a syntax error. If you correct that error, you may still get a compilation error if you put semicolon at a wrong place. Correcting that mistake may still give you a logical error. Sometimes, the list of errors you get is longer than the actual code you wrote. Some other times, one small error in one code would result in many more errors in other related codes.

Padma Narayanaswamy May 25, 2011 at 9:42 am

I used to love meeting white people especially their accent and would always go to meet them. Nowadays having virtual friends this desire have passed . Thinking of it makes me a bit funny.
padma

thinktank May 25, 2011 at 10:04 am

Haha Sharell, ending article with ‘yaar’ definitely indicates you have been a “Mumbaiya’. Way to go :)

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

Heheh…. thanks. I certainly feel at home here now. :-)

Jenn May 28, 2011 at 5:48 am

I know this is completely off topic and totally wrong. Yaar just makes me think of a pirate. It’s just funny in my head. Sorry!!

Sharell May 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

It’s okay, I have weird thoughts too sometimes!

Mohit Gupta May 25, 2011 at 11:07 am

I think there was nothing offensive or anything racist in the Barn’s post as some people are suggesting.

It was certainly amusing if not funny and could be shared among friend to have a good laugh.

Why am I saying this is because I have been in same situation in Europe which I will write in my next post.

Keep it up Barn ..I know it takes a lot to be the ONE and ONLY animal in the zoo-town .. ;)

Mohit Gupta May 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Sharell ,

Now I have got a right platform in this post to write down some incidences from my Europe journey, which are same in nature what Barn , Sharell and Tamasha Aunty had to bear in India.

Over all , Europeans were non-intrusive.But , specially in Italy , there were moments of India-like staring , questioning and verbal-stalking.

It was when I had enough of Rome’s architectural beauty and historical heritage , I decided to do some wild discovery of country-Side.And I selected a site Ostia-Antica which had ruins of a city in the neighborhood of Roma and also had a beach called LIDO very near to it.a

I took a Metro train from station “Euro Fermi” to “Piramide”.From their I took Lido-Line which goes up to Christoforo-Columbo station which is just 2 miles from LIDO beach.

I just happened to sit with my wife in train , which was about to leave in 10 minutes , in the last row of the coach on right window.There was a decent number of travelers.On my left seat was a local young school- going couple , who was being mushy with each other , thought not without being considerate of us.Girl’s attention was on my wife’s hands which were painted with Henna up to the elbow.She , in between kissing his partner , watching her hand and smiling after some eye-contact with us and this kept going.After a while she was more interested in knowing what the hell my wife has done with her hands than being with her partner.That kept on going for more five minutes.
Its when a gentle-looking oldman came and sit infront our seat.On first look he was like a normal person.He was clean , well dressed.But after two minutes he seemed to talking to himself or some other(who was not visible ;) ).And making faces of all kind.
Then turned his face towards us and asked in Italian if we are Indian(I learned some Italian before going there).”Yes” , we said.Then he started his chattering in loud voice of which I could understand only one world that was “KASHMIR”. I said to him number of times “English” , “English” but he wont budge.
What was more suprising for me was that all other passengers sat with “Attention” position like Robots and no bothered to the what was happening there.
He continued with his rants which would usually end up in five minutes.That was very unwelcoming !

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Verbal stalking. I like that term! 8) And quite an experience you had too. Glad you shared it with us.

Mohit Gupta May 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Oh thanks for liking..

I was thirsty for appreciation for centuries. ;)

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 9:11 pm

What, you didn’t get any appreciation in your past lives either? :-P

Mohit Gupta May 26, 2011 at 12:14 am

No , its just that I got to know my real age now.. ;)

Rahul May 25, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Haha nice post! I can definitely imagine that happening.I am an Indian and at present I am in the US.I do get stared at sometimes but that’s pretty much it. Most of them are appreciative in nature so I don’t mind it ;)

Annie May 26, 2011 at 11:15 am

I prefered the first picture you used to illustrate your post as it showed better how the tall white guy standed out in the crowd.
Curiosity towards people looking different from them is something common to all human beings around the world.
Some people go even to so much trouble to get noticed … trying to attract attention to get fame and money ( Look for example at the case of Lady Gaga who even appeared dressed in meat loafs !!! ) And it worked !!!
Now to return to India … Most of the time, when there, I forget about my skin color and feel as I really wasn’t different from my entourage.
One day, I was commenting about a picture taken with my Indian friends and family complaining about my carnation and saying ” Look, how pink I look on these pix.” ! They all had a good laugh and replied : ” But, Annie, YOU ARE PINK ! ”
It came as a shock to me … I looked like Miss Piggy !!! Ah ! Ah !
And whenever I returned to Europe, it also comes as a shock as I find all people here with greyish, greenish complexions and I miss the sun kissed faces of India !
Now, here is an interesting link that will certainly comfort some of your readers’ prejudices against the western society in general.
Have you ever heard about the Black Venus story ?
Her name was Sarah Baartman and she was a South African woman who was exhibited like an animal in Europe.
A French movie was recently made about her sad life in the West !
Click on the link below to learn more about her :

At least in India, to my knowledge, no white individual has ever been treated that way …

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 1:31 am

I am curious if SAIP is for white Men then what it is for white women ? SAIPA ? :)

Sharell Saipa , tusi great ho TOHFA sweekar karo.. :)

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 2:21 am

Sharell ,

In the series of some “special” incidences happened on my Europe tour , here comes the next !

In Roma , first Shop , in the street opposite to the main entrance of Termini Station, was of Bangladesh Chicken and Kebab Centre and it was always very very busy.Mostly locals will come and have a very cheap meal consisting of Roasted Chicken , Fries , Salad and two pieces of Bread in just four Euros.As I am vegetarian and my wife is non-vegetarian I insisted that she taste some chicken there as she would always refuse thinking I wont like it. ;) We went there but instead of having any non-veg food we had Indian Daal( 3 Euros) and Roti(2 pieces in 1 Euros) and I took some Fried Patate(2 Euros) and ate it like Aloo ki Sabzi.My Indian meal was completed.After that it became our favourite destination to eat at in Roma along with a Pizzeria which was situated just across the street and it had damn cheap and tasty pizzas.And we never paid more then 3-4 Euros for having our stomach full.A big contrast to the 60 Euro Extravaganza we had at an Indian Restaurant in Lucerne.

I was surprised to see that Pizza was being sold by weight not by size or pieces. :)

One fine day , we went there and gave our orders.While our orders were being prepared , I went to use washroom ,which was upstairs.When I came back I saw one white man of around 30 years age talking to my wife.I went up to my wife and waited for their conversation to end.And when it ended , I sat with my wife , watching a very jealous as well as nervous expression on the face of that guy.

I asked what was the matter.She told me that he came and asked if she needed help thinking she was alone.And that he can give her a good company.I said what ? We sat and started having our dinner.That guy was sitting in front of me.I stared him in the eyes with an expression”how dare you try on my wife.” but then this feeling of anger subsidized and transformed into a sense of achievement.I hold my wife tight :) Poor guy !

And then my wife told me that this happened 2-3 before also when I was not around ! Italians must be desperate or my wife irresistible…whatever I came out as winner.. :)

prashanth May 27, 2011 at 4:01 am

“She told me that he came and asked if she needed help thinking she was alone.”

@Mohit

That”s probably Italy’s First Gentleman…sorry, Italy’s First Idiot – Mr. Berlusconi. If not Berlusconi, it is @Rabbit….A couple of comments above, he was just disclosing that he looks like an Italian. :P

Sharell May 27, 2011 at 9:19 am

Italians, especially in Rome, do have a reputation! They never let an opportunity pass by. I must say, one of my female Indian friends is going there for a few months and she admits she’s looking forward to their flirting!! :-o

Amit Desai May 27, 2011 at 9:57 am

Italy, Spain, Greece etc. are considered Western countries, yet, the people’s behavior would often come close to that of Eastern countries. Another example is Russia.

When your Indian female friend would come back, she may always be sky-walking in India after having the privilege of getting hit on by a number of white males. Though she may be adding numbers like Mohit’s wife did, who knows. :-P

Sharell May 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

She just thinks that Italians have the flirting ability that Indian guys totally lack! ;-)

Amit Desai May 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Good lord, one more positive ability that Indian guys totally lack! What’s wrong with us! :-P

Rabbit May 27, 2011 at 10:58 am

lol… Mohits wife got 3 hits in 30 minutes when he was away… and then he came and held her tight … i am not sure why “the bharatiya nari” did not herself tell the dudes to just “f off” i know many white girls would tell that to anyone indian or non indian, and many indian girls would too… ;)

best is – mohit came and told him “how dare you try on my wife” (his own quote)… heard the italian guy politely left and had a driver driven BMW. The driver Mr “P” they say always had 2 cents to contribute on every topic… he gave them so often that the italian bought a BMW with the collected 2 cents …apparently every time anyone looked into some Mr P’s eyes… they always saw the back of his head…;)

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

Rabbit ,

Stop assuming things.I said 2-3 times before.You assumed “in 30 minutes”.I was talking about duration of my stay in Rome , i.e. , three days.

She has indeed responded vehemently in India to such advances and even slapped one guy.But I think , in this episode , being in a foreign country get on her and before she could react , I came in the scene .Fortunate for that guy , I was in a good mood.So I didn’t make noises.That was harmless and miscalculated flirting on guy’s part.

Rabbit May 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm

mohit,

i admire your capacity of limitless farting… one you are dumb as hell…

your quote : ” And then my wife told me that this happened 2-3 before also when I was not around ! Italians must be desperate or my wife irresistible…whatever I came out as winner..” your own quote

1) it happend 3 times in your entire stay and your wife did not even bother to tell you until this – and you say italians are desperate?. So she chatted with a coupe of dudes and dint feel important to even tell you… excellent!
2) since she was abroad she could not even politely say ” am sorry” i dont wish to carry this conversation… surprising!!!
3) you came while they were talking… now your line says :”I hold my wife tight Poor guy !” – i mean we all have been with women – the least your wife could do was introduce you as your husband.. and probably she could hold you tight so that the message would be clear to all three of you. Instead you had to do that and not your wife! – WOW
4) so from what angle did you come out as a winner???… 3 random dudes talked to your wife… you had to hug her tight to prove a point that you are with her… and all this “bull crap” that you give here – neither you nor your wife can say one line.. “excuse me… not interested… ” :)…finally all this gyan aside… if the values you believe in are so real – then the only incident you should have actually raised your voice on – you dint… cause you were not in the mood???? – I feel the only LOSER there was you!

(you know i hate writing these posts… but i still did, to make you realise its very easy to do so… i love Sharell’s posts but this hand picking on anyones part, you, me or anyone… is not good) i will park with this – but just wanted to prove that its very easy to do what you guys are doing so far and for so long…

this is my last mean post… i know you and that little Miss “P” (pee) will have plenty to say… but i may not even be around to read it… so – Cheers… another day another time may be we all will be having beer together…

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Rabbit ,

OK. :) prepare for next post.

prashanth May 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Take it with a pinch of salt and calm down, bro! Na Zdorovie (На здоровье) – Special Russian Greetings For you! :P

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Rabbit ,

My sweet bunny….;) when will you stop assuming actually…?

1 )Did I really tell you that on last 2-3 occasion she did have long conversation with “dudes”.Then why are you assuming ?

I just said she was approached 2-3 times.Is that her fault ? And is she really supposed to tell me every small and subtle things or happenings..and for it you blame Indian culture to make issue out of everything..!

You are behaving like a hypocrite !

2 ) “” am sorry” i dont wish to carry this conversation” is like what she said to everyone who approached her.

“i mean we all have been with women – the least your wife could do was introduce you as your husband.. ”

3 ) Am I supposed to act like “Rabbit” and my wife like “Rabbit’s code of conduct ? Hey! the small conversation ended in less than 10 seconds and that I could see from the distance.Why should she have introduced me to him when we don’t have to do anything with Him. Are you desperate to be introduced to an “Italian Dude”.

4)”I came out winner” was said just to complete the sentence in obviously funny tone and not something as real achievement.Once again you assumed so many things.I didn’t said I have to hold my wife tight to prove she is with me and I just told you what I did.Its YOU again who is assuming WHY I did that.

Did I ever mention what my wife said or what not what she did or what not and like you always do , assumed that she did not say or do anything.

I could have easily made that guy face trouble but then you would gone all over me that its the cultural difference and you shouldn’t have done this or that.You are Racist , etc etc..and you should have taken that in cultural perspective and While in Rome , Be a Roman , etc , etc .

And when I actually did , your hypocrisy is coming out in open.
And what values you are talking about? I think my “Baniya” comments have hurt you so much that you are still recovering.

Some time ago , you were accusing me of being a wife-beater and not you have gone beyond the limit of decency and is suggesting my wife to be like this or that and implying undesirable behavior on part of my wife or me out of a simple details of what happened in Roma.

Even cousins of those guys wouldn’t have reacted the way you are reacting.Its better you go underground for sometime to get rid of this “assuming-syndrome” and stop siding with any Tom , dick and Harry I mention in bad light.

prashanth May 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

“Rabbit ,

My sweet bunny….;) ”

This is the most gayest thing, I’ve ever heard on this blog!

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Prashanth ,

Either “Most-Gay” or “Gayest” . Beware siprit of Shakespeare is roaming on this blog !

TAMASHA! May 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm

@Rabbit-

You wrote-
“one you are dumb as hell…”

Now that was truly the UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR!!!!
;)

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Tamasha ,

JUST TELL ME ONE THING !

Is abusing others and supporting the one abusing other is sole object of your life?

And then you preach about being flattering in our responses.What kind of flattery is this ?

You take great pleasure in Abusing Family Members and when Rabbit said some nasty thing about my wife, you seems to be enjoying it.

Disgusting ! And interestingly you both hid behind some strange moniker.

TAMASHA! May 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

@mohit-
I’ve never used any other moniker on this blog except TAMASHA!
You keep making the same mistakes over & over, you have zero emotional reciprocity & are unable to understand how others view you based on what you’ve written. Maybe you have Asperger’s syndrome or some form of high functioning autism?

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Tamasha ,

Why dont you use your real name ? Once you talked about fears , I remeber ! ,

What the hell I have written on which someone would start commenting on my wife.Was this post of mine about my wife ? No ! But Rabbits’ every line started with “Your wife ! ” ..

Come on , just because my wife happened to be part of some incidences doesn’t mean you start mentioning them in bad light.

What kind of emotional reciprocity you expect from me.I have already said and again say that If anyone , means anyone , talk about absurd about my family then I just cant tolerate.You can call me anything but spare my family because then you are putting your feet in very very dangerous zone.And the implication of this , I can let anyone know in any part of the world if he/she has the balls to say it in reality in my face.

On internet anybody can talk tough.But to do it in real life requires lot of guts which no rabbit or rat can have.

And please don’t teach me biology.I can speak for hours on wire current flow.Professional knowledge is not a licence for personal abuse even if I am totally illiterate and that’s what is called equality and justice, not the one which America has done with daughter of an Indian Ambassador, keeping her in detention without letting her use toilet and drinking water, even when she was under diplomatic immunity.

Why don’t you have anything to say about America even if it is on the wrong side of law ??

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm

And you are doing the same mistake over and over and over.You have ZERO emotional sensitivity and thats why your any argument is not without including abuse , or wild guesses of diseases or deformity , when your point can be easily conveyed in simple words.Still you expect Nice-Stones from others.

TAMASHA! May 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm

@Mohit-
This blog is not about America so I don’t comment HERE about America.
Even if you don’t like what I say that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.
Lose your silly fears & your pretentious ego (grow up).
PS I didn’t know you were GAY. ;)

Mohit Gupta May 27, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Oh really !

Then why the hell were you talking about “Rednecks” and why the hell were you talking about “LTTE”.Is this blog about America.

Everybody , here , very conveniently make rules of regulations of this Blog according to his/her comfort and forget to follow the same.

Even if whole world like what you say doesn’t mean you are right.

Fear is in your mind thats why we don’t even know your real name and hideout.

What you call ego is self-respect for me, I have told you earlier and I am just like it.No amount of your brain-washing by you can change this fact.

Yes I am gay(happy) that now you know the truth.

TAMASHA! May 27, 2011 at 10:16 pm

@Mohit-
What does LTTE have to do with America?
Just because you’d like to talk about US politics on this blog doesn’t mean anyone else does.
I like my moniker ‘TAMASHA!’ it’s hilarious!
I’m so glad you’ve come to terms with your sexuality (gayness), perhaps now you can achieve all the spiritual growth your life has been lacking.

Mohit Gupta May 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Tamasha ,

Just because I missed to mention Srilanka , you are not supposed to think LTTE has anything to do with US.You are not so ignorant , I think. Ok let me ask you in clear words.

Why did you talk about “Redneck” and “LTTE” when this blog is not about America and Srilanka , respectively. I hope its clear now.

Realization of sexuality have nothing to do with spiritual growth.Come out of “Fancy-world” of spiritualism made up by Mr Rajneesh alike.

My quota of spiritual growth was filled even before I heard the word “Sex”.So stop worrying about my growth and start responding sensibly and relevantly. Wild and Absurd guess of sexuality and diseases wont add anything valuable to this discussion.

TAMASHA! May 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm

@Mohit-
I don’t ASSUME anything because assuming makes an ASS out of U & ME! Remember? So write what you mean, I can’t read your tiny little mind.
I discussed rednecks because they are a ‘white’ subculture common to many countries.
I discussed LTTE in reference to extreme beliefs in Tamil culture such as ritual tongue cutting & other acts of self harm.

Mohit Gupta May 28, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Tamasha ,

You are such “An Argumentative White”.
Americans can always defend their acts even when its clear they are on the wrong side.That’s why I love America.

You can talk about “Rednecks” and “LTTE” but I cant talk about the hypocritical behavior of US government.Just Great..!!

Just mentioning “mind” would have been better.What was the urgent need to scale it as “tiny” and “little”…And you say you don’t “ASSume” ! what a big liar .

Wasn’t that an assumption ?

TAMASHA! May 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm

@Mohit-
YOU can talk about US politics all YOU want. I’m not going to discuss US politics on Sharell’s blog. Go ask Manny to discuss US politics with you, he is a US citizen also.
Yes, I am an argumentative white woman.
Obviously from what you’ve written on this blog your mind is……..adequate?

Mohit Gupta May 29, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Tamasha ,

If you are so concerned about sanctity of Sharell’s Blog then from now don’t talk about anything other than “Indian”.

But how can you be so dumb to forget the very lesson which you were trying to give to others.I quote..

“For example writing that someone has ‘no brain’ is a personal attack & incites others to attack in retaliation.”

Was what you said and now when you don’t have anything intelligent to say in your defense you are doing personal attack saying my Brain “tiny”..

When will this hypocrisy will end on your side?

Or I will have to come in form again to retaliate to this in more obvious , clear and brutal manner so that you ask God “Why did I messed with him.” ..

TAMASHA! May 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm

@Mohit-
You stated the rule ‘TIT FOR TAT’
So since you said I have ‘no brain’ I said your mind is ‘tiny’. You titted so I tatted.
Don’t like your own rules?

Amit Desai May 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm

If you take every comment here with a pinch of salt, you would soon die out of heart disease.

And why are you writing Russian to an Italian?

prashanth May 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That ‘pinch of salt’ applies only to my conversation with him.
———
“And why are you writing Russian to an Italian?”

That was actually to the Italian’s Russian gf! :P

Amit Desai May 28, 2011 at 11:41 am

I thought the Italian had a European gf.

Abdullah K. May 27, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Ities, Greeks, Turkish – they are all the same even though they hate being associated with each other. Don’t feel sorry for these guys, they’re manwhores.

Nisha May 27, 2011 at 3:24 am

I am of mallu origin and “saipu” to me just means white man and “madamma” white woman. It has no positive or negative feeling attached to it, just words. They most probably are corrupted forms of “sahib” and “madam”, but most people who say saipu or madamma have no idea of this origin. My very mallu grandmother who was a school teacher was called “mandam” (yet another corrupted form of madam), by the kids and others, but would never have been called madamma.

Nisha May 27, 2011 at 3:29 am

to clarify, by white man/woman I meant foreigner, and not just a “fair” Indian. But still, it is not racist, it is just a name, like apple is called apple.

Jenn May 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Hi Sharell,I have been reading your blog for quite some time now. I also saw you on House Hunters International a few months ago. Just wanted to tell you that I think you are adorable. I too am married to a man from India. We are somewhat of an odd couple. I am basically a country girl (or Redneck..lol) love country music, country living, animals, camping, 4x4ing, ect ( and duct tape lol) and yet I am obsessed with Indian culture and all things Indian. Anyways, wasn’t sure where to post this, but just wanted to say how much I enjoy ur blog and how I can relate to so many things you talk about. You referred to “do the needful” in one of ur posts..I had to laugh at that. I had my husband type a letter once for me and at the bottom, he closed it by saying “please do the needful”, I was like ( WTF ) lol
Life is never dull. One time he was fixing something and asked me to “get him a torch”..I was like “u want me to bring a open flame into the house”..he meant flashlight..haha ..or when he says “my leg is paining me” (instead of just saying” my leg hurts”)…or the time when we were driving around and I wanted a pop, so we stopped at a 7-11. I told him I just wanted a Mt.Dew . I expected him to come out with a normal size can of pop, or small bottle, but no..he brings out the 2 liter bottle..why..cuz it was cheaper ( better deal) Imagine us driving around and me trying to drink out of a 2-liter ..lol…and the list could go on and on about Indian Cheapness, the words he uses, ect. But these are all things that make me love him (not to mention he’s a hottie, but aren’t all Indian men?) and he is never cheap when it comes to me. He treats me very good. We live near Mt. Hood in Oregon in a cute log house. We are pretty isolated up here. Not another Indian in sight for at least 50 miles. So maybe that’s why I enjoy ur Blog so much. I have never been to India. Am hoping to go sometime soon, but not sure if I am brave enough like you. Well, Just wanted to say Hi, sorry for the long comment..

Sharell May 30, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Hi Jenn, great to be in touch with you! You sound like an aspect of me… growing up in the country, it’s still part of my personality and I like country music too!! ;-) Your log house sounds divine. I’m lucky we call a flashlight a torch in Australia, but I’ve heard that paining expression so many times. I think I’ve trained my husband out of it, but he still comes up with some funny things like calling a clock a watch! Do come to India, it can be full on but it’s an amazing experience. I was so apprehensive the first time I came, wondering what I was going to find! It’s getting easier and easier to travel in India though, as development progresses. :-)

charie May 31, 2011 at 3:18 am

@ Barns-
Have you seen an people of African descent in India? If so, what are your observations as to how they are treated?

Kate May 31, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Ha! This reminds me of the puja my parents in law held to celebrate our marriage where 500 people form the village were invited, and I experienced a proper moo dekhai! A group of women surrounded me and one of them licked their fingers and tried to rub my whiteness off my face! They thought I would be brown underneath and that it was all make up :)

Sharell May 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm

OMG, what an experience! :-)

Raj June 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Well Sharell!! Your blogs are inspiring and probably you should be bit more critical of India’s underbelly!! Reason being you living in Indian and being a Foreigner Indians will take more seriously . . .if someone else says than we Indians have this attitude “Chalta hai yaar”

My GF is also white from europe, and we are in kind of serious relationship and she has been to India thrice already but I think in long run it may be bit difficult to adjust!!!

This kind of “Stare” towards white people and many other weired thing is because of the fact India never had and desperately needs a “Renaissance” and “Revolution” which can bind the country and pull the whole population into the modern world!!

I am sure you may not have heard it on Media even once that We need to control the population and until we control the population we can never never never eradicate and control the poverty!!! so their is lack of vision amongst the very top elite of country – Government!!

Manny June 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

The top elites are the leftist sekularists who have been in power 90%. the are put there by other McCaulite sekularists.

shihabudheen November 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

i m mallu so i can clearly explain why keraliates stare at white people .its not only in case for white people but also for north indians tooo. i have also seen people staring at Arab people who come for Aurvedic treatment in Kottakkal . people from other state mostly north india rarely resides in kerala. i remeber those days when people use to stare at hindi speaking people .becoz malayalam is the only language they usually hear.if some speaks other than malayalam or looking different from them are alien .things have changed now in my district (malappuram).before four years its hard to find north indian in our place,now it had changed .lot of workers mainly construction workers comes from north india . so the view of people also has changed.now people dont stare at north indians.i dont knw about other part of kerala.
SAME WILL BE FOR WHITE ALSO.

Mohit gupta November 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm

“.its not only in case for white people but also for north indians tooo..”..
” i remeber those days when people use to stare at hindi speaking people.”

Now I am Saip too , WOW ! These south Indians stare at me , so I must be someone they adore.I am feeling so good.In fact much better.Yo Yo , Yeah , Yeah …No surprise because some people say that we also came from Europe.

“.lot of workers mainly construction workers comes from north india.”

:( :( ;( ..huh.. dream shattered , we are not Saip.In fact we can never be saip ..I m feeling bad , in fact worse. …

shihab November 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Hi Sharell , just go through this link. http://indrus.in/articles/2011/11/15/being_indian_in_vladivostok_13250.html .it will clear shock of seeing saip.i often visit this site for defence related news,today i got some thing interesting (this link).

Global Indian April 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

‘Saip’ is definitely and most commonly used term for a white man with extra stress on ‘p’ part, the other term is vellakkaaran, which literally means “white guy”, in mallu lingo. This came from the hindi word “sahab” which means master or in aam admi lingo, boss.

What most people on this blog dont know is that there is a female version of this. Its called MADAMMA ! Does it ring a bell? Of course it is familiar to the english term madam, but that’s not where it came from. It came from the french version of madam which is Madame` and the pronounciation is similar too. Instead of extending the ‘a’ sound as medaam in french, the mallus lay stress on the last M, thus adding an amma (mother or superior female) in the word. frankly speaking many mallu women who are more mallu than others seem have an extended ‘amma’ in their names. Like how Maya became Mayamma and many others. If thats too complicated, then just go along with vellakkaari, meaning white woman.

Not just the white people on land, but also on the sea! In mallu lingo, the captain is called Kappittaan, again similar to french pronounciation capitaine.

Kerala has a history of not just British , but also Portuguese, French and probably Dutch colonialism. And oh, they had Chinese friends as long back as the 14th century or so. And they gave some pretty unforgettable gifts which basically define Kerala, like the Chinese fishing nets and ofcourse the cheenachatti, litrally meaning the chinese pan!
If you take a look at the architecture of temples in kerala, a strong sense of de ja vu is sure to hit you cause they look quite similar to Chinese or East asian shrines.

The Arabs played their part too. All this makes kerala unique amongst rest of the southern states and the world.

Global Indian April 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm

The starring thing is not just restricted to whites or other foreigners. Its applicable to keralites as well. In short it is applicable to anyone who doesnt look like ‘em in terms of dress , behaviour and looks ofcourse.

I’m a mallu from both my parents’ sides and have lived in various parts of India to the extend that I have stopped wearing a bindi on my forehead, as people mostly wear western outfits where I live and bindi doesnt go well with them.

On 1 fine summer vacation in my native kerala, when I was a kid, I kind of went through an unforgettable moment. I had short wavy hair which was also nothing much of a surprise over where I stayed till now. Our neighbour was this educated, middle-aged gentleman and he lived with his wife, 2 daughters and another lady who is probably his relative of some sort. We could see whats going on in their frontyard and they could see ours, even though there was this compound wall separating our territories.

I was just casually playing all alone in our garden sort of place, and this man was reclining on his recliner minding his business in the verandah. As soon as he saw me, he just got up from his recliner, called out his family which was too inaudible for me to hear. In a matter of a second, ALL HIS FAMILY MEMBERS WERE OUT IN THE VERANDAH AND THEY WERE SHAMELESSLY STARRING AT ME AS THOUGH I’M SOME SORT OF EXOTIC THING ON DISPLAY. Not to mention I was a 10 year old kid. The thing continued and I was like shocked and backed off and went to some far off place where they couldnt get a glimpse of me cause I knew they wont stop.

Similar encounters of people, young and old, starring at me with their mouth open and as though someone nailed ‘em to that spot were experienced by me unntil I started to dress very local. Pointing and talking was also a part of this whole experience.

So, it is not just about the white skin shock, its also regarding the entire unfamiliar culture that outsiders/guests bring along with them ! Or its just that nobody teaches them not to stare as its really rude or downgrades their behaviour.

Indian born confused desi April 19, 2013 at 9:33 pm

The average Indian is never satisfied with what he/she sees and experiences and always look for something parallel. They are people who spot an almost-indian-looking-foreigner and say ” He’s foreign? ” even if they know he is. The same Indian looks at an Indian in foreign country and ask ” He’s Indian?” even though its obvious.

It seems as though they never get satisfied with wat they see and are in a shock themselves!

Sharell शारेल April 20, 2013 at 10:12 am

Hey Indian born confused desi, you have the same IP address as Global Indian. If you’re the same person, could you please stick to just one user name. Thanks!

Global Indian April 20, 2013 at 8:24 pm

That’s probably my sis. Yup, it is my sis! She sticks mostly to fb and wouldn’t bother much bout blogs. Maybe, she went through my history and stumbled upon your blog!

Sharell May 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Huh? I thought you’d think it was Big Bitch! ;-)