Australia Photo: Graffiti with a Sense of Humour

by Sharell शारेल on September 27, 2011

in Visiting Australia

Post image for Australia Photo: Graffiti with a Sense of Humour

One of the service stations in my local area has closed down. But it looks like we’re getting an Italian luxury fashion house in its place!

However, it might be more believable if Gabbana was spelled correctly, and it wasn’t in a country town with a population of less than 10,000 people (who are mainly blue collar workers).

© Copyright 2011 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Mat Diplo September 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

LOL…I just got reminded of that scene in Zoolander where Derek Zoolander tries his hand at coal mining with all the blue collar workers, then his advert for AVEDA comes on the TV in the local pub.

Mat Diplo September 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Ha ha ha and then he shout’s “I’m a MERMAN *COUGH, COUGH*, MER-MAN!!!” :)

Mat Diplo September 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Actually, they could have spray-painted a letter “e” after the brand name and added the words “phone shop” that would have been awesome–sharell get your can of spray-paint and show them how it’s done. :)

Mat Diplo September 27, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Oh genius… they could have added the letters “Im” before the brand name… Immobile (as there is no petrol)!!! Saatchi & Saatchi give me a job! :)

TAMASHA! September 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm

HA HA HAA!!!
A vandal with a sense of humor, I love it!

@Sharell-
Is this unusual to see service stations and other businesses boarded up and ‘out of business’?
I was in the US last winter and was shocked to see how many service stations, grocery stores and even malls were boarded up & in bankruptcy due to the recession. Ten years ago in the US this was something of a rarity.

Sharell September 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Thankfully, it’s not very common as the Australian economy hasn’t suffered harshly like the US. That service station had been around for over 20 years but I think its problem may have been the huge new shopping centre with two supermarkets and service station that opened up nearby. It probably took a lot of business away from it. (I’m still trying to figure out how two supermarkets are even justified and can make money!).

rohit October 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

hey sharell i have been reading ur blog for quite sum time now,i wud really like to know how did u adjust from life in australia to india,i mean dat wud hav been one big major leap?and did u change ur religion after marrying an indian or sumthing?

Sharell October 1, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Hi Rohit, I’m not religious so thankfully I didn’t have to worry about that. My husband, although Hindu, is spiritual rather than religious so we have the same beliefs (mine tend towards Hinduism).

Dushyant September 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I can’t see the graffiti after “Dolce”. Doesn’t the shadow occlude the words? Can someone post what it says

TAMASHA! September 27, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I think it says-
‘COMING SOON!! DOLCE & GABANA’

Sharell September 30, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Yes, that’s it. I know, the shadow was bad timing.

Murali September 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm

‘opening soon’

TAMASHA! September 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

OOPS!!!
That’s right. ‘OPENING SOON!! DOLCE & GABANA’

I have 3 kittens running around my office, it’s a bit distracting. ;)

Abdullah K. September 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm

A friend of mine who lives in New York minted mega bucks, converting defunct fuel stations to bars and strip joints. So perhaps, the same idea is at work here. Dolce and Gabbana could be the nickname of the ladies who’d be the new ‘attraction’ of the place.

@ Manny
Happens. People who haven’t been to the States think that America is the epitome of cool as depicted by Hollywood and Anglo TV shows. Once they get there, they realise that it is a cultural and human wasteland.

Ron October 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Churchill . . .cnr of Monash Way and Acacia Way

Sharell October 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Yes, it is! :-o

Sonali October 2, 2011 at 5:19 am

So funny :) One gets to see similar amusing graffiti in India too, always cracks me up!

Mat Diplo October 2, 2011 at 2:52 pm

This is not graffiti, however there was an Indian sign that said: ANU’S ENGLISH ACADEMY NO PROBLEM ANU SHARMA”.

At no time has good grammar and the use of an apostrophe been so important! :)

Mat Diplo October 2, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I heard of a graphic designer who went to China many years ago. She loved the typography on some Chinese sign, and so copied the characters down and had the design made into a T-shirt.

When she wore the T-shirt she found that the locals kept pointing and laughing at her. Finally she asked a local what the lettering meant in english, and to her horror it translated to: “MILK IS SOLD HERE”.

If she was a Double D size or higher, that message really must have had an impact!

There is an obvious moral in this story!

Pox October 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm

haha that story is too good to be true

Mohit Gupta October 3, 2011 at 10:14 am

Sharell ,

Was this site down for some last few days or I was experiencing digital-hallucination ?

Sharell October 3, 2011 at 10:40 am

Ha, no you weren’t hallucinating. The site was having hosting problems. I’ve had to upgrade and hopefully it will load faster now too. (See, I do love you all!).