A Look at “The New India”

by Sharell शारेल on December 26, 2011

in Snapshots of India

Post image for A Look at “The New India”

Yesterday, after a relaxing Christmas brunch on the Juhu beachfront at Vie, we unwittingly found ourselves at the sunset launch of a new brand of whiskey, which was taking place there. The invitees were fashionable and rich “twentysomethings”, who are clearly bringing about cultural change in this country. My friend termed it “The New India”.

So, what does “The New India” look like?

Polo shirts have replaced the much favoured stripey long sleeved shirt. And they come in an array of bright colours, one for every mood really!

However, some guys, who’ve spent considerable time in the gym, prefer a revealing singlet instead of a polo shirt to show off their muscly arms and chest. Oh la la!

Girls, on the other hand, prefer to show their beautiful tan legs off in the shortest of shorts. Cute!

….and skirts.

There are public displays of affection in Santa hats.

And fake moustaches that can rival the real ones of Rajputs. (Go on, bet you can’t spot the fake!).

© 2011, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Cathy December 26, 2011 at 3:32 pm

You and hubby are way too cute ! and me and hubby are laughing !

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Oooh, I must clarify….that’s not actually him! The guy is actually a real Rajput with a real moustache… a stranger that I forced to pose with me! (Damn, now I’ve given the guessing game away). ;-) I do love how good humoured Indians are though. As you can see, he’s totally up for the joke, all the while telling me how impressive the moustaches are in Rajasthan.

Raghavan December 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I knew it wasn’t him, height gave it away:)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I could’ve been bending down! But you’re right…

Cathy December 27, 2011 at 3:01 am

I would have known it wasn’t him if not for all that Christmas cheer ….

Laura December 27, 2011 at 8:55 am

I’ve a bit of an advantage, I’ve seen your husband and heard him talk. :) (For readers who wonder if I’ve visited Sharell in Mumbai, nope, I just saw them on that silly TV show they did for the US. He’s a very handsome man, I have to say!)

Cathy December 28, 2011 at 4:37 am

Indeed he is !

White Bhabi December 26, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I haven’t seen any of that here in Punjab. There are some polo shirts on the men but they still go for the stripes and the only short skirt I’ve seen on a girl was a young girl (maybe 12 at the oldest). Girls have legs in India?? (jk…I’m being sarcastic because they don’t show them here at all.) I don’t think I’ve seen that many girls in jeans in a full year either (not even as many as in your picture!). You don’t see couples holding hands here, much less kissing either. I think Mumbai is obviously much more progressive and modern than Amritsar to say the least. So many huge differences when we’re only a few states away.

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hehe. You really MUST come visit Mumbai. It’s like a whole different world. Such extreme contrasts exist in India! I think this is a major example of it.

Chanakya December 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm

White Bhabhi ,

“I think Mumbai is obviously much more progressive and modern than Amritsar to say the least. So many huge differences when we’re only a few states away.”

Mumbai is definitely much more progressive than Amritsar in all sense.But if you like a explore Punjab a further beyond the conservative and religious sophistication of Amritsar then you can also see enjoy ‘Leg-Piece’ in Punjab , in the heart of capital of Punjab , Chandigarh.

Chandigarh is one of the most beautiful and rich city in India and I feel that it is as modern and progressive and more clean than Mumbai or Delhi is.I think you should visit it.But I guess you have already visited it ?? No ? Then GO ! :)

Raghavan December 26, 2011 at 3:54 pm

New India is also seeing spending power never seen before, everybody wants a piece of the high life now. :) Dressing is definitely chic but we still have a long way to go in that area too I feel.
We are doing a great job with theme restaurants, we were never far off from that as we have a huge cuisine to draw from.
PDA is still an issue in public places sometimes, for that to be accepted we have a very very long way to go.

I really really am waiting for this though : Would love to start having awesome microbrewery beers and tons of options with Beer.. :) New India can do it and looks like some IIM-Ahmedabad grads invested in the idea in Pune already. 1-0 Mumbai.. we gotta catch up

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm

PDA is still an issue in public places sometimes.

Now why would YOU say that? Too funny. :-P

Raghavan December 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

you know all too well why Sharell :)

Chanakya December 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Raghavan ,

“Dressing is definitely chic but we still have a long way to go in that area too I feel.”

As Sharell has pointed out girls are already wearing shortest of the shorts then I wonder , how far they are now allowed to go.I don’t think they have much margin left. ;)

Sharell : Tell me honestly if you didn’t feel any guilt in capturing the backyards of girls.Were they aware of you ? ;)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Feel guilty? No. I’ve been sneakily and not so sneakily photographed so many times, probably from all angles, I thought it was normal behaviour to do that here. :-P But I was very considerate not to show their faces!

Raghavan December 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm

‘As Sharell has pointed out girls are already wearing shortest of the shorts then I wonder , how far they are now allowed to go.I don’t think they have much margin left. ‘
@ Chanakya : I wasn’t referring only to length.. chic has a lot more definition than just length

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 5:53 pm

The concept of ‘chic’ is probably too new for Chanakya to understand! ;-)

Chanakya December 26, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Then please tell me.I thought it meant ‘Stylish’ or ‘Smart’.

Gtoosphere December 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm

The aristrocracy of india rightfrom the east india company days has always been very westward looking and progressive and the traditional aristrocracy has now been replaced by a different 1% of the population…

So in a way, this isn’t new or surprising and definitely not a “new india”…

Just giving some historical perspective there…. It did look like a cool party ;)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm

A little off tangent, but this is an interesting blog post that I read today: http://anjeneyan.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/changing-concepts-of-life/

Indianindahouse December 26, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Moderator’s Note: Refer to the comment moderation policy to see why your comments are not being approved:

(Furthermore, if you want to rant about Australia and Australians, go and do it to someone who cares).

Murali December 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I wonder if sharell purposely took photos of the badly dressed girls or most of them were really dressed that way. But yes sharell’s dress is ‘chic’ and i had no idea she had such nice shoulders. (probably because in most of her other photos her hair falls over her shoulders)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm

If you were to go out to any trendy place in Mumbai, you’d discover that lots of girls wears shorts and mini skirts. It’s the fashion here. I feel like such an Auntie! ;-) As for my shoulders, I never usually wear clothes that reveal them like that. I’ve become a bit risque! The weather is just too good to cover up though.

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I should add, darn, it seems people are still recognising me despite my new “masculine look”. :-P

Murali December 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I didn’t actually mean that wearing shorts is bad, just that their clothes look so comical and cheap..

Ah ok, i meant “nice FEMININE shoulders” :-)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm

@Murali, oh, in that case… no, there were worse than that there!

DA December 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Sharell have you ever been to a party in Delhi ? I seem to remember girls wearing short skirts in early 2000 well my friends from college did . The thing is as you said its quite extreme contrast in Indian society, Some suburbia in Delhi has not changed much since 1947 ! while some areas are very “progressive” . I was born in the North East where we don’t really care much about how our girls dress themselves up neither have hangup about living boy girl together before marriage .

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Hi DA, no, I’ve never been out to a party in Delhi! I’ve got no idea what it’s like there. The only place I’ve been out to at night in Delhi is TGI Friday’s at a shopping mall in south Delhi.

I hear people like to dress themselves up fashionably in western clothes in the major cities in the North East, and I think they know how to wear western fashion well. :-) It looks good on them. An Indian friend of mine is seeing a girl from Manipur, who’s now living in Mumbai. I met her for the first time recently, and she seemed really modern and progressive (drinking beer and all. :-) ).

DA December 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I am not sure drinking beer is progressive lol , I think it just the way it is , also living so far from mainland India have a unique advantage or disadvantage, often our girls being called the chinky wh**e in other parts of India.

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Yes, I guess maybe not progressive. Like you said, it’s just the way it is (but not really the norm in India). Of course, women commonly drink beer in Australia but I’ve seen very few drinking it in India, and even better, straight from the bottle!

Chanakya December 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I can vouch for it.’The new India’ was born well before last decade when the liberalization of economic policies in 1990 by Manmohan Singh took place and American MNCs set up their companies in India.I remember girls wearing mini/micros/tubes way back in 1998 in Delhi.Now when I go to any shopping mall here in Delhi I find it very difficult to see any girl in traditional Indian dress sari or suits.Most of the girls are in jeans and t-shirts.Some of them are in skirt/minis/micro/tubes/etc.Rest are in traditional dress.

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Bare those shoulders!!! Soak up that vitamin D!!!

I don’t know, it’s like EVERYWHERE you go in the world EVERYONE is wearing the same cheap Chinese made clothes. Those pics could be anywhere.
I’m old fashioned I guess, I prefer my hand tailored tunics & salwar kameez to that Chinese stuff. Even my American designed jeans (Levi’s) are ‘made in India’ & my t-shirts are ‘made in Nepal’.
I was watching some European fashion shows today, looks like we’re headed for some hideous melange of 70′s & 80′s fashion. EEK!!! Talk about 2 decades of ‘ fashion faux pas’. Oh well been there, done that. ;)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm

looks like we’re headed for some hideous melange of 70′s & 80′s fashion.

Groan. :-( I thought that had already been and gone. There was some hideous 80s type fashion in Australia a few years ago. It was bad enough that I did it once back in the day… never again!

Jeans are one thing I get straight from the US for both hubby and me (thanks, Ebay). 8)

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 8:54 pm

‘Jeans are one thing I get straight from the US for both hubby and me (thanks, Ebay).’

Really Sharell?
My Hubby & I get our jeans from the Levi’s stores around Delhi, the Saket locations & Connaught Place store usually have the best selection- they even have the ’502′ model you can’t get in the US anymore.
AND get this-
Levi’s stocks only the 36″ inseam BUT they professionally custom hem them for you in an hour-FREE!!! AND if that weren’t enough, if you want a zipper fly instead of a button fly they’ll change that for free too!!!
I’m sold ;)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Wow! That sounds like a pretty good deal indeed.

Hubby only wears Levis, and Ebay is great for him because they sell various length inseams and waist sizes that are on the small side. He’s tried the Levis styles here and none fitted too well. He likes 527 Low Rise Bootcut. As for me, I’m a bit fussy with the way jeans fit me (because I’m slightly pear shaped) and buy Seven for All Mankind and Citizens of Humanity. ;-)

Chanakya December 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm

My friend was crazy about authentic and latest Levis stuff and I always wondered why he had to take me to CP store when the showroom of same company were all over the city and suburb.Then he told me that latest stock come there first.

prashanth December 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm

*Information sharing m0de – oN*

@Tamasha

If you get the know the history of Jeans, you will be surprised to know that jeans pants were produced in India, ages back and it continues to this day, at some places. I’ve seen this at some towns close to Hampi, in south India. Also, Levi Strauss is a German (who moved to America), who’s native place is close to where I ‘m living at the moment.

*Information sharing m0de – oFF*

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Prashanth-
Ok Mr Smartypants;)
Just to let you know Levi Strauss & Co. started his firm in 1853 in San Francisco (60 miles from where I was born)
There is a Levi Strauss & Co. museum in San Francisco also (although Levis jeans are no longer made in SF)- as I recall Mr Strauss was born in Buttenheim in the Fraconian region of Bavaria- (I’ve been there too.)

prashanth December 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm

@Tamasha

Ok, Ms.Smartyskirt! BTW, you look like a Chinese alien, in your new avatar! :P

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Ok, Ms.Smartyskirt! BTW, you look like a Chinese alien, in your new avatar!

It could be Green Tara!

TAMASHA! December 27, 2011 at 11:55 am

Bingo!
Yes, I am the TIBETAN Buddhist tantric meditation deity- Green Tara- metaphoric for the virtues of enlightened activity & “mother of liberation”!
This image is from a painting in my gallery.

Chinese alien indeed.

vinod December 26, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Oh my those polo shirts!

Those colors hurt my eyes. I bet those must be Gujus. Only Rajasthani or Gujjus can wear those colors. Pretty colorful.

I bet no one would wear pink t-shirt in the US

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Vinod-
In the 1980′s EVERYONE under the age of 40yrs in the US wore neon pink polo shirts, especially Ralph Lauren & Izod. (Brand name everything, gobs of black eyeliner & enormous horrible hairdos too.)

Ashli December 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Actually the pink is back too. My quite fashionable nephew wears a pink polo sometimes. The outfits are actually quite cute. They wear shorts with various colors to them in a sort of plaid but not plaid pattern and can wear any number of coordinating solid colored polos. I don’t recall the eighties well enough to comment on the apparel. I was more concerned with Teddy Rupskin and Cabbage patch kids at the time. As for pastels and neons I really like the colors pink, powder blue, white, celery and buttery yellow on my DH’s skin tone. But have to settle for dressing my munchkin in them because my husband is far to ‘old’ and ‘manly’ to wear them willingly.

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I guess we should clarify for your non-western readers-

In the US most jeans are sized & sold by waist measurement and inseam.
US clothing stores usually stock numerous different pre-sewn inseam lengths & waist measurements.
To have your jeans altered by a tailor/seamstress in any way (for example leg length shortened or zipper to replace button fly) would cost actually MORE than the jeans themselves.
For example to get a $45 pair of jeans hemmed it would cost $50, and probably a week to get it done.
That’s why I’m thrilled to ‘alterations’ FREE & fast in India!!!

Oh, and another interesting aside- In the US they measure your pant length -’inseam’ from your crotch to the floor- In India I’ve noticed pant length is commonly measured by the- from your natural waist (above the hip) to the floor.

sagar December 27, 2011 at 2:39 am

Thanks, that is interesting info!
But frankly, your previous avatar of that beautiful woman was much nicer than this green person! :-)

TAMASHA! December 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

My previous avatar of a beautiful woman is me!
I was trying to inspire some ‘enlightenment’ with this ‘Green Tara’ avatar.
Guess it’s not working?

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I was trying to inspire some ‘enlightenment’ with this ‘Green Tara’ avatar.

@Tamasha, thank goodness I’m enlightened enough to know what it was. :-D

Sagar(Mr.Ocean) December 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I must admit, I feel really stupid now. In Hinduism , Tara is one of the forms of Goddess Durga ( called mahavidya) and I even know Tara’s sanskrit prayer(almost by heart). Yet, I could not recognize her .
So ashamed of myself :-(
I hope she blesses me with some ‘intelligence and knowledge’ so I do not get embarrassed next time :-)

I am really surprised how Sharell knew about Tara – she has no connection to buddhism . At least Dr.Tamasha is in Nepal – which has a lot of buddhists. And Tara is not worshiped much in Hinduism (other than in Bengal).

Dr.Tamasha, beautiful doctors are a rare species. You must have handled the med school and residency stress very well -:)

Sharell December 28, 2011 at 11:31 am

@Sagar(Mr Ocean) — I dabble A LOT into spirituality. I’ve actually done Buddhist meditation, and read a lot of books about Buddhism. I’ve also been to Nepal twice, and have a book with popular Goddesses in it that I bought in Kathmandu.

I guess, when it comes to religion, I’m a bit of a “Jack of all trades, master of none” as the saying goes! ;-)

Hélène December 28, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Sagar, Tara is one of the favorite Asian Gods for western people.

sagar(The Ocean) December 29, 2011 at 4:54 am

Thanks Helene! I learn something new every time I visit this website.

Hélène December 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I must say the mixing of moustache and nose ring is smashing, it does look like a feminist statement with a neo 80′s touch :)

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I actually went one step further over lunch and mixed Santa hat, bindi, nose ring, and moustache. A little overdone maybe. ;-) I should post a pic for everyone’s entertainment.

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 11:03 pm

You know Helene, I am simply overwhelmed by your innate French fashion sense!!!
The Tom Selleck/Magnum PI 1980′s ‘stache, the exotic nose ring, the ‘Malliot’ smocked top in the 1970′s ‘earth tone’ colors & ‘ethnic’ print- Our Sharell has perfectly updated the new modern classic- Bohemian Chic!

Could you please put in a call to Mr Lagerfeld or perhaps Mr JP Gaultier?
They’ve gotta see this!!!

Hélène December 27, 2011 at 3:16 am

Ah yes Tamasha, you’re so right…. What a pity there’s no more battery in my phone :)

prashanth December 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm

What is progressive and what is not? What is the definition of ‘Progress’? Progress is not aping western culture, but knowing what they want and enjoying their lives. Wearing shorts/skirts is not progressive, wearing something that makes them feel good or their body feels good, is progressive.

Also, in ‘Incredible India’, there are many women who wear modern stuff, as shown in the pictures. These girls/women are usually from middle-class to rich families and wear this kinda stuff, only when they hang around a select few places and don’t use public transport. In cities like Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, it is more common for women to wear this kinda stuff. Also, if you go to some house/techno parties or music concerts, you will be surprised to see more fashionable and revealing stuff.

sagar December 27, 2011 at 2:23 am

The pics made me laugh out loud!
Sharell, you have a great sense of humor.

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks! Life and oneself can never be taken too seriously. I think I got my bizarre sense of humour from my father. I used to find him really embarrassing when I was younger, but now I’ve become kinda weird myself. My poor hubby must want to disappear sometimes when he’s around me!

seeya December 27, 2011 at 5:46 am

Being an author yourself, I hope you would understand not to judge a book by its cover. Traditional Indian dressing has nothing wrong with it.

Shiriki December 27, 2011 at 8:52 am

Seeya,

I let this comment through, but not your previous one. Sharell’s blog post was in no way a judgement of people and what they wear. It was an observation of the changing times. I find that a person will judge something based on what mindset they have when they experience it. Perhaps you were already in a judgmental mood when reading her post? May I suggest reading it again and seeing if your opinion stands?

Blog Moderator,
Shiriki

TAMASHA! December 27, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I’m not sure why anyone would ‘judge’ anyone or think there is anything wrong with ‘traditional Indian dressing’ by this post or the pictures.
These are clearly young people, being young is about trying new things & experimenting.
At a certain point in life you realize how silly some of these things are & move on. I certainly don’t dress like a teenager anymore & would think anyone my age that dressed like a teen had serious mental problems. (Or they were going to a ‘fancy dress’ party)
Traditional Indian dress will never be ‘out of style’ & has become a classic with its comfort & elegance.

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm

@Seeya, I have to say I agree with the Moderator here. I don’t have any issues with traditional dressing at all. I can tell you I have a collection of saris and salwaar kameez in my cupboard, and no shorts or mini skirts at all. So, you’ve definitely taken the post the wrong way. It was just a light hearted post, that’s all. No deep or judgemental meaning against traditional dress behind it. Being “older”, I actually have quite a conservative view about dressing in India, and don’t really think that young girls should be getting around dressed like they are, in such short skirts and shorts. I once had a pair of shorts that short when I was 18 and my mother refused to let me out of the house in them. And then they mysteriously went missing — no doubt she threw them out!!!

seeya December 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

My bad. The title “New India” sort of made me think this is the new stereotype of India.

Anuj December 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Moderator’s Note: Inflammatory Verbiage removed or changed (italics).

I don’t understand why some men in india prefer to dress in a feminine manner. Not that I’m against them. It just looks very odd.

I have a love/hate relation with liberal women. Especially the high maintenance kind. Globalization meets indian women is a potential nightmare. From a patriarchal society have come rebels that are using consumerism to overcome their self esteem issues. I think its silly.

Anuj December 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Diyar Indian angrezi expert moderator of WIHM website,
Your use of very highly intellectual noun from angrezi dictionary called “Verbiage” is very profound and ingenious. Surely, you are one such product of the greatness of the indian education system. The vagueness of a clause is the determinant of its all-weather effectiveness. My calculations tell me that I must apply the contrast theory to overcome your recedes.

Anuj December 31, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Mohatarma moderator madam cum angrezi teacher ji,
Please to decorate and publish my previous comment with more vague profound nouns for our enlightenment pleasure.

Shiriki January 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

You are most welcome.

In the future, please keep in mind that we are no longer allowing ANY verbiage that another might take offense to. The word that you used (which in and of itself is not an offensive word) and the way in which you used it were derogatory. Hence, the use of the word by you was offensive and I removed it.

Take that under advisement for future posting on DWIH.

Moderator Shiriki

Shiriki January 4, 2012 at 10:36 am

Dear Anuj,

I am most happy to school you if that is what you require. Here is another lesson.

Verbiage: manner or style of expressing something in words; wording.

I had supposed you intelligent enough to understand that the word that you used and the manner in which you used it, could be cause another person to take offense to it. Was I wrong? If so, I will happily spell it out for you in the future.

Take notice. The first comment was offensive and I changed it. These two new comments from you were pugnacious (allow me to provide you with the definition of pugnacious: inclined to quarrel or fight readily; quarrelsome; belligerent; combative). This kind of behavior is no longer allowed here.

I refer you to the Comment Moderation policy of DWIH, which can be found here.

I’ll be very clear. Do not do it again if you wish to continue commenting on this blog.

Should you have an issue or wish to make a case for mistaken representation, and then do so respectfully in a comment. The way you’ve done this is neither.

Good day to you sir.

Comment Moderator
Shiriki

Claire December 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Nice read thanks, I think its fair to say its western influence but really positive. We are taking influence from india in terms of food and caring for the older people and its nice to give something back!

Juniper January 3, 2012 at 2:35 am

LOL Love the post!
It’s funny that you mention the “the much favoured stripey long sleeved shirt” we were looking at pictures from a family gathering in India and all the men were wearing them. I guess the fashion of polo shirts hasn’t yet reached the Chandigarh area just yet. :)

Juniper

Sharell January 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Hehe, that’s so funny! ;-)

S Mamu January 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Your husband should be in Bollywood. He would be perfect for the role of an Indian cop.

Sharell January 18, 2012 at 7:56 pm

But that’s not him in the picture! It’s a random Rajasthani Rajput guy (with a real moustache) that I got to pose for a picture with me!! You know my hubby is a little shorter than me. ;-)

SMamu January 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm

My bad! I thought it was him. I must be growing old and senile.

Sharell January 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm

It’s okay, if you read through the comments, you’ll see that you weren’t the only one to make the mistake!