Christmas Day the Aussie Way: Aussie Jingle Bells

by Sharell शारेल on December 24, 2011

in Visiting Australia

Time for some Christmas cheer, Aussie style. This is how we like to make fun of ourselves.

“Dashing through the bush, in a rusty Holden Ute.
Kicking up the dust, Esky in the boot.
Kelpie by my side, singing Christmas songs.
It’s summer time and I am in my singlet, shorts, and thongs.”

(Note: thongs are flip flops/chappals in Australia, not an item of women’s underwear as in America).

All class.

Merry Christmas everyone!

© 2011, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

prashanth December 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Happy Christmas! :)

Here’s a pretty interesting Christmas video (Christmas 2.0): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZrf0PbAGSk

Sharell December 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Ha, Christmas in the technology age!

TAMASHA! December 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Ok, well, the presents have been opened. YIPPEE!!! more PS3 games!!!
The gingerbread house eaten & destroyed.
The fake Chinese Christmas tree with its ‘cotton wool’ snow has been shredded to pieces by the kittens & is now throughout the house.
The guests here at the ‘open house/Xmas eve’ party at my gallery & getting smashed on eggnog spiked with ‘Khukri’ rum.
I am the ‘hostess’ with the mostest!
MERRY XMAS EVERYONE!!!
An American classic we sang as children to the tune of ‘Jingle Bells’-
Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin laid an egg!!!
The Batmobile lost a wheel & the Joker got away, HEY!

Ok, so I’ve had a little eggnog too, ;)

Chanakya December 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Merry Chritmas !

All the shopping centers here are decorated with big Christmas trees.I can see cute kids in Santa-dress in the morning when their beautiful mothers are waiting for the School-bus to come.

Everything is looking so beautiful.Its good times.
One guy today asked me why it is called ‘Merry-Christmas’ and not Happy Christmas.I was speechless.Somebody please tell me.

Sagar(Ocean) December 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Answer to Chanakya’s Question:
Merry Christmas – why not Happy Christmas:
“Merry,” derived from the Old English myrige, originally meant merely “pleasant, and agreeable” rather than joyous or jolly (as in the phrase “merry month of May”).[2]
Though Christmas has been observed since the 4th century AD, the first known usage of any Christmastime greeting dates back to 1565, when it appeared in The Hereford Municipal Manuscript: “And thus I comytt you to God, who send you a mery Christmas.”[2] “Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year” (thus incorporating two greetings) was in an informal letter written by an English admiral in 1699. The same phrase is contained in the sixteenth century secular English carol “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” and the first commercial Christmas card, produced in England in 1843.
Also in 1843, Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol was published, during the mid Victorian revival of the holiday. The word Merry was then beginning to take on its current meaning of “jovial, cheerful, jolly and outgoing.”[2] “Merry Christmas” in this new context figured prominently in A Christmas Carol. The cynical Ebenezer Scrooge rudely deflects the friendly greeting: “If I could work my will.. every idiot who goes about with ‘Merry Christmas’ on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding.”[3] After the visit from the Ghosts of Christmas effects his transformation, Scrooge exclaims; “I am as merry as a school-boy. A merry Christmas to everybody!” and heartily exchanges the wish to all he meets.[4] The instant popularity of A Christmas Carol, the Victorian era Christmas traditions it typifies, and the term’s new meaning appearing in the book, Dickens’ tale popularized the phrase “Merry Christmas.”[5][6]
The alternative “Happy Christmas” gained usage in the late 19th century, and is still common in the U.K. and Ireland alongside “Merry Christmas”. One reason may be the Methodist Victorian middle-class influence in attempting to separate their construct of wholesome celebration of the Christmas season from that of common lower-class public insobriety and associated asocial behaviour, in a time where merry was also understood to mean “tipsy” or “drunk”. Queen Elizabeth II is said to prefer “Happy Christmas” for this reason.[2] In the American poet Clement Moore’s “A Visit from St. Nicholas” (1823), the final line, originally written as “Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night,” has been changed in many later editions to “Merry Christmas to all,” perhaps indicating the relative popularity of the phrases in the U.S.

Source:

bks December 25, 2011 at 12:00 am

happy christmas ………. O:-)

vinod December 25, 2011 at 12:01 am

Merry Christmas everyone!

LeeAnn December 25, 2011 at 3:23 am

Merry Christmas, Sharell!

LeeAnn December 25, 2011 at 3:31 am

I just watched the video and that was hilarious! In Texas, we can appreciate the summer weather Australia has for Christmas, as we never know if it will be warm or cold. Also, when I was growing up, thongs were flip flops as well. I still use the term, much to my young adult children’s dismay! Merry Christmas!

PerthStorm December 25, 2011 at 3:59 am

I love this version! Hope you all have a great Christmas!

Also thanks to Sharell for entertaining us over the past year!

Manny December 25, 2011 at 4:10 am

Merry Christmas Sharell, Tamasha and everyone here

We are here in San Carlos Mexico for two weeks for some R&R and sun (I thought), but its kinda chilly here…. but much much warmer than Texas.

TAMASHA! December 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Manny,
Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano y Felicidad!
Drink lots of Tequila while you’re in Mexico, stay away from that ‘mescalero’ stuff, its wicked. ;)

Manny December 28, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Moderator’s Note: Verbiage added to clarify the statement and make it less inflammatory. Keep commenting!

Oh yeah! Feliz Navidad

As we drove from Tucson, AZ into Mexico, I realized how so similar Mexico was to India. How dramatically the scenery changed between the US and Mexico. But still the beach resorts here are so much better than that (IMHO racist) Goa beaches. :)

I believe, Even if India had bordered the US, India would have remained the same. For better or worse.

Laura December 25, 2011 at 6:31 am

That was great! We lived in New Orleans for a few years, and there’s a local guy there, Benny Grunch, who does the same kind of local music, especially Christmas music. It would probably be meaningless to anyone who hadn’t lived there, but it’s the same kind of poking fun at oneself, and *really* funny if you know what he’s talking about. I love stuff like this — thanks!

Arti December 25, 2011 at 7:23 am

Wish you too a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Sharell:)

Murali December 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

merry christmas! I stuffed myself last night at a friend’s place. ah, the benefits of having christian friends.

Pranav December 25, 2011 at 8:12 am

Whatever happened to the birth of Christ?

Sharell December 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

A lot of people in Australia aren’t particularly religious. We just simply celebrate Christmas as a festival for getting together with friends and family, and having fun.

vikas December 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Merry Christmas to Sharell and all the other readers!
Thanks for maintaining this lovely blog!

Cathy December 26, 2011 at 12:04 am

Merry Christmas Sharell !

Texy December 26, 2011 at 12:23 am

Merry/happy xmas everyone…same thing Chanakya! *smile*

Love it…so aussie!

Raghavan December 26, 2011 at 1:46 am

Merry Christmas Sharell! :)

Happy go lucky December 26, 2011 at 9:48 am

I love this version!! I’ve never heard it before!
ROFL @ thong!!!

Bronwyn December 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

Merry Christmas Sharell! Hope you had a fabulous day!

backwhereitallstarted December 26, 2011 at 11:52 am

Merry Christmas, Sharell! Hope you had a good one!

Sharell December 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Beachfront buffet for lunch at Vie. 8)

Murali December 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm

“engine’s getting hot, dodge a kangaroo” – my favorite line of the video, love it!

TAMASHA! December 26, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Oh dear me, we all went paragliding on Xmas day.
My boys & my nephews loved it.
I kept hoping I wouldn’t have to use the restroom.

Andrea December 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

French for yoghurt! ha ha

Nice video Sharell. PIty i only found this two days too late.

krishna January 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

hi,

Happy New Year.Nice blog like very informative.Good attractive picture.