The Look for Christmas Lunch

by Sharell शारेल on December 26, 2011

in Festivals in India

Post image for The Look for Christmas Lunch

Tis the season to be jolly. It’s also known as the “silly season”, so in keeping with the festive spirit I decided to try out a new cultural-blend look this Christmas. Santa hat, bindi, nose ring, and moustache.

What a deadly combination!

To be honest, the moustache was a logistical nightmare. My top lip was sweaty, causing it to keep drooping and falling off. It made it impossible to eat, drink, or talk!

(If you look carefully you’ll note that the moustache is a different shape to the one in the other picture, which was taken later in the day).

Um, yes, I have a moustache for every occasion. (I know, I think I have a few issues).

© 2011, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Vivek December 27, 2011 at 1:43 am

Looking at your fascination towards moustaches, I think Sharrel it’s time you grow your own moustache.

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Maybe when I get a bit older I will be able to (you know how sometimes hormones go kinda crazy when women get older, and they start growing facial hair). :-P Right now, I’m not in that position!

Hélène December 27, 2011 at 3:18 am

Ha, I love this, it’s really zany ! :)
Did anybody stare ?

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Oh of course, when don’t they stare? So, why not give them something to be really curious about. At least the stares are accompanied by smiles and laughter when I put my “disguise” on. No doubt they think I’m completely insane! :-P

LeeAnn December 27, 2011 at 3:39 am

You are rocking that ‘stache! :)

Sig December 27, 2011 at 4:20 am

Bwahahahaha…love it!! :D

We had torrential rain and storms here in Melbourne on Christmas Day, especially in my area. Still managed to have a traditional Christmas lunch with my in-laws and then a BBQ in the evening with my family. I now know what it feels like to be carrying twins….massive food baby! :D

Hope you had a wonderful day as well :)

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Ugh, what is it with bad weather on Christmas Day there — it’s always been chilly in recent years. I can’t remember the last really hot Christmas. :-( I would love to be carrying a BBQ food baby. I really miss Christmas and Boxing Day BBQs!

Arti December 27, 2011 at 6:29 am

Thats what I call a Killer Look!!!
Especially with the mustache and the nose ring!!
Merry Christmas:)

Arti December 27, 2011 at 6:32 am

Just saw that other pic and I must say you surely have a mustache for all occasions!!
PS – I loved that one more!!

aayush December 27, 2011 at 7:25 am

hmm……..
i think a rajasthani tuban would have worked beter with those moustache………

Sharell December 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Hehehe, my dad has one (I got it from Rajasthan for him on my first India trip) which he wears from time to time (usually when he comes to the airport to pick me up when I go home for a visit)! Neither of us can tie it properly though, so it ends up looking quite ridiculous. One time he found a Sikh family waiting at the airport, and got one of the guys to tie it splendidly. It’s unraveled again now though!

Chanakya December 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Chankya Khush Hua ! Hahahahahahahahahahahah

Let me give a name to this Character- “Santa Pratap Singh Kaur” :)

aayush December 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

Let me give a name to this Character- “Santa Pratap Singh Kaur”

I am confused. Is the character a punjabi or a rajasthani?

Chanakya December 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Its “Hindustani” . ;)

aayush December 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

whatever it is, she deserves a spot in republic day parade

Sharell December 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Maybe they will give me a uniform to wear! 8)

Sharell December 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Kind of like this. Unfortunately, I was without my moustache collection that day, but not without kajal. ;-)

Chanakya December 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

The girl in the pic is strikingly looking similar to you.Especially the mooch.

shihab December 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

nice look.a rare combination

Murali December 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

this looks like sharell’s poker face…..all business

Chantel Mann December 28, 2011 at 4:24 am

Love your blog, I found it through another ex-pat bloggerhttp://www.sanpedroscoop.com/

you weren’t by chance on house hunters international with your husband were you? My boyfriend and I just watched an episode here in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and the couple looked a awful lot like you!! Excited to follow your blog! Happy New Year Chantel

Laura December 28, 2011 at 10:31 am

That was them, Chantel. That’s how I found Sharell in the first place, too. It’s a great blog — you’ll love it!

Vani December 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Hey Sharell,

Just got the message from flipkart that they have dispatched your book, waiting for it and very much looking forward to read it!

By the way a very interesting look for christmas, love the rajasthani santa look.

AJ December 29, 2011 at 8:01 am

Thakurayin Sharell :) you look mmmmm I don’t know but some thing LOL …
Man this is some crazy look but I like it :)

Bronwyn December 29, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I love the ‘stache and bindi combo :) rockin the Bombay hipster ishtyle!

sagar(the ocean) December 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Moderator’s Note: Name of Sharell’s husband has been deleted for privacy reasons, as she prefers not to mention it on the blog..

What if Sharell’s hubby dresses up in
solah shringar (sixteen traditional women’s ornaments) and poses next to Mr.Sharell-:) ?
He could be the modern ‘Bal Gandharva’ (born 1888)- marathi actor who played the roles of female characters in his plays (because women were not allowed to act at that time)

For suggestions, I came across this article describing the ornaments(bindi, sindoor, tika, kohl,nath-nose ring, bangles, ear flower, henna etc.) and their related stories.

“Women and Jewelry – The Spiritual Dimensions of Ornamentation”
or PDF

Very interesting!(Sharell, you might like that article)

Oh, on second thoughts, please dont!!! The results might be
terrible…. :-)

Mr Ocean December 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Sharell, I am sorry , I was not aware of the policy of not mentioning the name. It was an honest mistake – unintentional.

Sharell December 30, 2011 at 11:54 am

It’s no problem — you’re not expected to know. :-)

Anuj December 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Good work!! The glorifying mooch is the most significant feature of male masculinity. Mooch Nahin To Kooch Nahin. Haan ji.

JAYESH - G December 29, 2011 at 11:44 pm

You crazy woman!

All you need now is a tobacco smoking pipe, a long-barelled rifle and if I may suggest, a small addition, a kajal/mole on the right cheek and some paan and a scowl.

You can wear that U. S. Army fatigues (in the pic you mentioned in the comment above) and prowl the mean streets of Mumbai….

Hmmmm…. I wonder what that would look like? :-P

Pepper December 31, 2011 at 4:52 am

Sharell, please tell me where you get your moustaches from? I’ve been looking for a while, but I never find stuff that looks real enough. Yours seem really good :D For now, I only use my eye liner and kohl pencils to draw the moustache. I know I have a few issues too.

Sharell December 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi Pepper, I’m thrilled that you’re someone “like me”. ;-) Surprisingly, I actually find them everywhere. They usually come in packets of around six different types. A friend found some in Bandra. And I actually found some in a $2 shop in the country town where my parents live in Australia — same ones!

And here they are on Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Mustaches-Costume-Party-Disguise/dp/B001GBLMIG

(You can probably recognise the moustache I’m wearing. The Scoundrel.

A friend of mine from the US is also sending me some pink moustaches.

Since you’re in the US, maybe you can stock up on them from Amazon? It’s definitely more the merrier when it comes to mo’s! 8)

Bronwyn December 31, 2011 at 10:00 am

Wow, I just noticed how when people post comments, you can see their recent blog posts! That is so great! Is that a new feature?

Sharell December 31, 2011 at 10:35 am

Glad you like it! :-) Yes, it’s a new plugin called Comment Luv. It helps me to keep up to date with people’s recent blog posts too!

yashasva December 31, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Is there a plug in for selecting Like/dislike on the comment? If yes then please use it in your blog. Many times I felt like flagging down few comments here.

koolj December 31, 2011 at 5:25 pm

rofl@the pic….
btw Sharell ur hair looks so dark in this pic….

Sharell December 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm

It is like that only. ;-)

ugich konitari December 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm

That takes care of the visage. Maybe you need to check this for the rest of the fashion.

Hilary Devi Clinton and Angelinabai Jolie-Pitkar modelling …:-))

Bou January 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

I have been reading your blog for a while :D

Love the stash :P