Why Love Mumbai?

by Sharell शारेल on January 2, 2012

in Snapshots of India

Post image for Why Love Mumbai?

Mumbai definitely wasn’t love at first sight for me. The first time I visited it, as a tourist in 2002, I found its contrasts and extremities off-putting. To me, it felt like Mumbai had an identity crisis. It seemed like it was an Indian city trying to be western.

My first year living in Mumbai wasn’t much better. I found plenty to dislike about it — the traffic and pollution, honking, crowds, and heat. The lack of space and privacy really bothered me. Not to mention how the city continually crumbles during the monsoon.

Yet, as my fourth year of living in Mumbai draws to a close, I’ve really grown to appreciate what the city has to offer. Strangely enough, I now love how its contrasts are confronting to people. Mumbai has shock value. It requires a certain strength to live here, appreciate the city for what it is, and fall into its groove. I love how it almost forced me to leave, but I didn’t.

Everyone and everything exists side by side in Mumbai. I can shop at a mall, or a simple local market. I can drink cocktails at a bar by the beach, or dine in a dhaba. I can go out alone safely at night, take a rickshaw and not get threatened and cheated. Indeed, I can take a rickshaw onto the premises of a five star hotel. We get fresh fish delivered to our door. Although the city is stretched for resources, we never have power cuts. And, Mumbai is the only city in India with a huge national park.

Want more reasons to love Mumbai? Check out this article on Mumbai Boss today. It shares some wonderful perspectives on Mumbai’s appeal.

Photo credit: Calamur.

© Copyright 2012 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Vani January 2, 2012 at 4:49 pm

When I moved to Mumbai from Delhi…I couldn’t bring myself to like anything about it, I used to constantly complain to every single person around, how congested Mumbai was…but when I had to leave amchi Mumbai for Bangalore, I realized that this tenacious city had sneaked its way into my heart. It is a city which just grows on to you. It is a city with huge amount of resilience, therefore neither bomb blasts, nor terrorist attacks or incessant rains can bring it to a halt. Miss Mumbai and its organized clutter.

Sharell January 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Yes, it is so sneaky like that! ;-)

How is Bangalore? Much less crowded and much better weather I guess. Do you like living there?

Chanakya January 3, 2012 at 12:57 am

Its Bengaluru btw. ;)

Sharell January 3, 2012 at 1:11 am

And I suppose I’ll have to call Delhi Dili soon too? Sigh.

Chanakya January 3, 2012 at 11:20 am

No, you would just have to call ‘Dilli’, Dilli ;)

So, what is the problem in pronouncing the correct name of places.British had left such a mess of names of cities.

Dilli- Delhi
Mumbai- Bombay
Bareli- Bareilly
Kanpur- Cawnpore
Bengaluru- Banglore
Merath – Meerut
Kolkata – Calcutta

Don’t know why but British kept complicating the simple words.Now we have to start the simplification.So please expect some more simplification.

I guess people in oz won’t like much if somebody reconstruct Sydney as ‘Sidhhanee’ or Melbourne as ‘Mehalbharon’ ?

DA January 3, 2012 at 7:12 pm

“It’s not time to make a change,
Just sit down, take it slowly.
You’re still young, that’s your fault,
There’s so much you have to go through.
Find a girl, settle down,
If you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I’m happy”
Cat Steven

Vani January 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

Bangalore weather is definitely better but the traffic just kills you… there was a time when Bangalore was called as the pensioner’s paradise because of its weather, greenery and calm. Today its hip, happening, crowded, crazy and chaotic… but Namma Bengaluru (My Bangalore) is still a lovely place to stay…you get the best coffee& masala dosa, people from all across the country and the world (thanks to the IT boom), surprise rains and its home.

Inaie January 2, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I hope to be able to visit India one day.

Sam January 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

All my friends go Mumbai Mumbai.. When I visited the city I felt it was dirty and congested but loved the independence it provided. The fact that you can travel in auotos/taxis/trains at any time and not get hyper-anxious about safety. The auto fares are so much cheaper and the drivers return even a rupee change. I also likes that people dint pay much attention to why you are the way you are.

Sonali January 3, 2012 at 1:08 am

Love love love Mumbai meri jaan…had such a wonderful time there at my reunion in December! By the way Sharell, your book arrived a few days ago and my mother grabbed it before I could read it…and she loves it, and keeps reading out bits for us! Cannot wait to read it myself! And happy New Year to you and your family :)

Sharell January 3, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Oh my gosh! Your mum was reading bits of my book out. I feel so embarrassed. It’s such a funny feeling, kind of hard to imagine someone reading it like that. I’m so glad she’s enjoying it that much though! :-)

Pepper January 3, 2012 at 7:31 am

I ****LOVE***** Mumbai. I don’t think I’ve ever loved any other place so much in my life. I was born and brought up there, so the shocking contrasts didn’t strike me for a long time. For me, it was just a way of life. Only later on did I think of it.

There are just so many things I love about Mumbai – I often say I want to move back to India just to live in Mumbai. Okay, I should stop gushing so much. The mention of my city does that to me. Sorry.

Cyn January 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

The first time I lived in Mumbai was in 2004, a few months after I relocated to India and interestingly it was int he same neighbourhood I am now living in, but the 2 months we lived there back then I hated every minutes, I felt totally out of my element, we didn’t even have a lot of money to really enjoy what the city had to offer, and we were still in that initial stage of getting to know each other as live in bf/gf
The second time we were there was in 2010, but it was Navi Mumbai which is crappy, and I hated it, for it’s boring sterile environement, we wasted no time trying to get back to Bangalore at the first opportunity, but yet we are here again, this time in Mumbai, in the same area as when we first came in 2004, and I’m loving it! :) I guess Mumbai has to grow on you slowly to start liking it :)

Sharell January 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Hey, I’m glad you’re enjoying Mumbai better this time. I know how much you were dreading coming here!

Arti January 3, 2012 at 7:53 am

You described Mumbai very well! Loved this the most, “you can arrive at a 5 star hotel in an autorickshaw”…
I have lived in Mumbai all my life and agree with all your points!!

Sharell January 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I had a funny argument with a friend from Bangalore, who was visiting Mumbai, about whether or not I would be allowed to come pick her up from her 5 star hotel in Mumbai in an auto. She was convinced no way, but of course it wasn’t a problem. Mumbai me, sab chalta hai. 8)

Thomas the atheist January 3, 2012 at 9:00 am

Sharell , only yesterday have I come across your blog and I admire it very much.Your blog is very neutral.Your blog respects the freedom of expression.

It raises interesting issues and provides a platform for reconciliation

Sharell January 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hi Thomas, welcome! :-) You’ll find a huge range of topics here, with plenty of discussion.

Chanakya January 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

Love Mumbai ? Nothing can be farther from truth.Actually people are just being nice to Mumbai and are glorifying their helplessness as they don’t have any option than to ‘Love’ it.

Pepper January 4, 2012 at 7:00 am

Err… what? “people are just being nice to Mumbai and are glorifying their helplessness as they don’t have any option than to ‘Love’ it.”

Really? Wow. How did you achieve such mind reading powers? :D

Chanakya January 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Kanya , I am not stopping you to love whatever you want, but what you call ‘mind-reading-powers’ is a just common sense and anyone can have it if they, for a moment, think logically and not emotionally.

Chris January 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

You couldn’t pay enough money to non-Mumbaikars to re-locate to Slumbai.

Slumbai is not easy to love. It takes years of self-hypnosis to delude oneself into thinking that one loves Slumbai, for it is truly hard to romanticize-away the filth, the poverty, the congestion, the crime, etc.

When one eventually achieves such self-delusion, one has truly become a Mumbaikar.

I’m thinking Madhuri Dixit will eventually call it quits on her Mumbai re-location, and will head back to her native Colorado-mountains.

Manny January 4, 2012 at 4:18 am

@Chris.

Your post cracked me up. That’s exactly what I used to think of Bombay/Mumbai. But then after reading all the good things about Mumbai from Sharrell’s blog and few others, I was thinking, maybe I was wrong about Mumbai.

Now, you went ahead and posted that.

:P

Bronwyn January 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I think this is one of my favourite posts of yours, because loving Mumbai is one of my favourite topics.

I agree with Arti: loved this line! “You can arrive at a 5 star hotel in an autorickshaw.” Goodness knows how many times I’ve done this… every time I arrive at a 5 star hotel it’s been in an autorickshaw, and I might have done my makeup or changed my shoes in the rickshaw as well as my personal changing room :D

Honestly though, Mumbai is one of the most liberating places I’ve ever lived. The range of experience she has given me is incomparable: nowhere else could I see and feel and be challenged so much. Over a year and a half later and I am more in love than ever. Cheers to aamchi Mumbai!

Chanakya January 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm

What is the need for you guys to go in a five star hotel in Auto? Saving money? Then why five star.Don’t have car? Try taxi.Or you have a certain liking for autos and five star, both.?

Also, what is the need to go to a five star in Mumbai? To compensate the experience of other challenging places in the city or professional compulsion or just a nice try to remind yourself that there is certainly an escape from over-glorified diversity or challenges of Mumbai, and that path goes through the lounges in five star hotel.

Sharell January 4, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Yes, I go to a five star in an auto to save money because I don’t have a car, and it’s darn difficult to get a taxi where I live because the Sadar jis have a monopoly and charge outrageous fares! Meru Cabs have very little availability and need to be booked a day in advance. Autos are simply cheap and convenient.

I went to a five star to pick up my friend. But if I was to go to one independently, no doubt the savings that I make by traveling by auto would enable me to afford it. ;-) And why not go? Why not experience everything that Mumbai has to offer? :-P

Chanakya January 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm

You are right.We must save money for spending it in five star. lol… ;)Now I can even imagine you arriving at Taj hotel riding a horse and encouraging her saying, “Chal Meri Dhanno, aaj teri Sharell ke paise ka sawal hai.” ;) , Just kidding..

In fact autos(for long distance) and hand-pulled rickshaws(for short distance) are my favorite rides whenever I get opportunity.

But why don’t you guys buy a car? I guess, you can afford it after the fat cheque you got from, what is the name, yes Macmillan. ;) Again, jk. I know you are just scared of driving in India.But what about your hubby ? Is he also scared ? Or don’t know driving ?

Sharell January 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Why not buy a car? Because at the moment we don’t need it, and a car is a great deal of hassle. For the little amount we travel (which doesn’t include a daily commute anywhere) it’s just not worth the cost or the responsibility. Plus, in Mumbai, parking is a huge problem in most places — there just isn’t enough. Great thing about taking an auto is that you can get out at the end of the journey, and not worry about it. There’s also no need to worry about who will drive, particularly if both people want to have a few drinks. :-)

Sharell January 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Oh, and I should add, that because autos run by the meter and the auto walas rarely give problems in Mumbai, it makes taking an auto even easier. If I had to negotiate every time I got in one, and argue with the auto wala, I’d probably be less happy about relying on them.

Bronwyn January 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm

@Chris: I disagree!
I have taken a salary cut of 75% to move from Vancouver, the 6th most livable city in the world, to “Slumbai” because I love it here.

Romanticizing Mumbai is not honestly dealing with her. When you face her and receive her on her terms, and all of the filth, struggle, poverty, wealth and beauty she offers, you can only be in awe of her.

Chris January 5, 2012 at 12:20 am

So Bronwyn, you’re OK with the flooded roads of Mumbai during the monsoons and how life gets disrupted every time it pours ? Roads that needn’t have flooded at all, if the storm-water drains had only been maintained.ok

Sharell January 5, 2012 at 12:39 am

And storm water drains that needed have be badly maintained at all, if only the BMC would stop being so corrupt, and do their tendering administration properly. Don’t get me started!!! Grrr. :-(

Bronwyn January 4, 2012 at 11:36 pm

“Why not experience everything that Mumbai has to offer?”
My thoughts exactly!

I once came down (to earth, LOL) from Aer lounge at the Four Seasons, after some fabulous and expensive drinks and food. I climbed aboard a local bus in my skinny jeans, pulled my ever-present dupatta (which I keep exactly for such situations) out of my purse and rode home for only a few rupees.

I love the contrasts of life in Mumbai!

Chanakya January 5, 2012 at 2:12 am

Right Bronwyn ,

Life in contrast is sometimes very interesting but when contrasts become compulsion and imposed forever then fun takes another route and frustration creeps in. Otherwise, Mumbai is really a lively and charming city.

Rahul January 5, 2012 at 12:03 am

I know this is off topic……but Sharell whats ur age?

Sharell January 5, 2012 at 12:35 am

Why do you want to know?

Just a little tip: in western culture (which is the culture I come from), it’s considered rude to ask people their age. ;-)

Rahul January 5, 2012 at 11:28 am

Its rude to ask a woman their age in all cultures. I dunno y i just love asking ppl der ages ….be it man or woman…….. ;)

Actually i have developed a huge crush on this French Foreign exchange student in my college……but i think she is older den my by 2-3yrs….so i was wondering if i ask her age ……what will happen

sagar(the Ocean) January 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Sharell hit the nail on the head.

You yourself admit that you knew it was a rude question. So why were you intentionally rude to Sharell? You love being rude? -:)
Well, at least you are honest about admitting mistakes.

Rahul , if you really are serious about that french student, please do not ask her age. Do not even try to find it out. She would probably start hating you if you did. It is very disrespectful (in all cultures I know). Every woman (Indian or black or white or chinese) will find it offensive. Everyone has a right to privacy.
If she is older or younger by 2-3 years, does it really matter? No. If things progress, she may tell you eventually. But I can bet that there will be no progress if you ask her age.

You must note that although you were rude to Sharell, she replied you politely.

Rahul January 6, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Hey Thanx 4 d advice…….No more ages now…… for sure

ArbitRabbit January 16, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Well, you need to be creative in such things… something like asking what their favourite movie is etc. You can then get to say what your favourite movie is, say Star Wars, which was released in 1977, and so it is somewhat old but you still like it (A terrible example but let us stick to it for illustration). Then you can innocently ask whether she was even born when Star Wars was released… the answer could be, nah I was born 10 years later or, yes but I was only 5-6 years old then. You get the gist.

So Sharell, have you seen Star Wars ;-)

Anyway, my first post here and just wanted to say I do like your writing a lot. Being from Delhi I will say I can probably never “love” Mumbai (Sorry, but Delhi trumps Mumbai in charm, food and infrastructure) but I definitely admire the spirit of Mumbai and the freedom it affords. Being married to a Mumbaiker (yeah, our home is a civil war battleground), I do appreciate how welcoming Mumabi can be for everyone, which I can’t say for Delhi.

Sharell January 16, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Haha, I can tell you that I’m not a Star Wars fan but I was born before it was released! :-P

You know what, I agree with you that Delhi has better charm (you can’t beat Old Delhi, as well as all the historic sites in Delhi), food (I prefer north Indian food) and infrastructure (don’t know when our Metro will get up and running) than Mumbai. But it doesn’t have a beach, and I LOVE beach (not that I ever go swimming here, but sitting at a bar by the beach is awesome). And yes, Mumbai has a place for everyone, whether rich or poor.

Grace January 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hey Sharell,

Just wanted to stop by and say that I am still reading everything you write, though usually through my google reader hence why I don’t comment much!
I did however want to say how beautiful it is to see your comments being relevant and coherent and positive here!!

I love reading your perspective on a city like Mumbai, that has so much to offer in the good and the bad!
Between you and Bronwyn I am sure that I will have more than enough inspiration to help me bite the bullet and move on once I settle in Amritsar!

X

Sharell January 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi Grace, yes, the key to success is looking for the positives amongst the negatives (because there really is no utopia in the world that I’ve come across, and I’ve traveled a lot). The first year is the hardest, so try and keep in mind all the good things that you like. I hope you’ll blog about it! :-) x

Cathy January 9, 2012 at 5:10 am

Nice to see you here again Grace !

Kate January 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm

hey sharell, Been reading yur blog.its great work!I am actually a chinese and planning to move to india tgt with my indian bf.just a question, how did u manage to convince yur parents?I m gg to have a hard time with my parents though..:(

Sharell January 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

Hi Kate, well I was old enough (over 30) to do want I want. However, my mum was really supportive because she could see that living in India was making me happy (I’d been there for a couple of years in different parts of India before moving to Mumbai). Dad was more worried, but like I mentioned I was grown up enough that he let me do what I wanted. ;-) I hope you convince your parents and it works out for you.

Cathy January 9, 2012 at 5:09 am

I loved reading all the comments of how people are loving and living in Mumbai . I have been planning to spend a few years in India for several years now . I have just lost my job of 10 years so maybe this is the sign I need…. I may have never gotten the courage to get up and quit and go to India. So maybe I should be singing that song ” If not now then when ” or however that goes ….

Sharell January 9, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hi Cathy, I think it’s definitely a sign! Seize the moment and opportunity! :-D

Donetta January 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I have lived in Mumbai for nearly four years now (formerly from Australia) with my Indian husband. Somewhere around the two year mark, it occurred to me that if you come from Mumbai, all other places in the world must seem incredibly boring :)

Chris January 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Yes, Donetta, you’re right.

Mumbai, for all of its faults, is certainly not boring — in a Hell-could-never-be-boring kind of sense.

Ula Long January 17, 2012 at 5:52 am

You definetely have quite a bit experience living in Mumbai.I am coming for the month of February and someone has leant me an apt.in Tilak Nagar.I will make my way and have a great time I’m sure.Any suggestions as a solo traveler? I was there for 2 weeks in Jan 2011.Thanks for your input.

Deepak February 1, 2012 at 11:18 am

Any person coming to Mumbai just wants to runaway in the first year or so, be it from foreign country or any other part of India. The high cost of living as well the daily commute time in public transport is just too much for an outsider. But once you are able to survive then you kind of get addicted to it.
Mumbai is a great leveler from people making few lakhs rupees a month to a new entrant in the job market to the beggar going on his job, all jostle in the local trains rubbing shoulder. And oh yes, it is way to “comfortable” to commute in public transport in Mumbai as it is not only efficient but it is “relatively” less taxing then driving your own vehicle on roads and also much safer for women.
@Sharell : Would love your take on travelling in Local trains / public transport.

Sharell शारेल February 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

My take on travelling on the Mumbai local — I’d prefer to go in the gents compartment than the ladies! ;-) It just turns women feral. I’ve seen everything, including a fight between women involving clawing and scratching, and an old woman getting trampled on the floor. There is no place for manners. It’s just each person for themselves. The whole process would be improved if people getting on would just wait for those getting off to disembark first, instead of forcing their way on, and jamming the doors so no one can get on or off. I’m not so bothered by it all though because when it comes down to survival of the fittest, I’m tall and strong, and can easily force my way on and off. I’ve grabbed people and shoved them aside on occasion, when they wouldn’t get out of my way, and been called paagal. If people want to behave in such an uncivilised way, I’m not shy to get uncivilised along with them.

Here’s a brief post: http://www.whiteindianhousewife.com/2009/09/india-photo-inside-the-mumbai-local-train/

Deepak February 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Ha ha ha… I can relate to you totally as it was bit too much for me to travel in locals daily that too on central line ( Thane ) as I myself was an outsider in Mumbai.
I have been using AC buses for last 2 years now and find them very convenient. Bless the BEST buses.
BTW have you attended Kala Ghoda Festival ? If not, try that.

Sharell शारेल February 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I was on the western line first, and now the central. Central is much more feral. :-(

I love the Kala Ghoda festival. I’ve been once, and will actually be appearing in it on panel this year, at one of their literary events.

Rhys June 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I am from Jo’Burg. I love Bombay. I love the food, fresh juice, the addictve indian sweets , the nightlife, Marine Drive, the chaos, the shopping. Mumbai has everything to offer me when it comes to spending a few weeks abroad. It is my ideal holiday destination.

Yes there are bad things too about Mumbai, as in any other cities. You need to be really open-minded to enjoy Mumbai.

kay July 25, 2012 at 2:52 am

Reading your stuff on Bombay makes me miss it soo much.
I have been born and raised in Bombay and come from a long line of true blue blooded Bombay-aites.
Living in the “western world” (Chicago), makes me miss my beloved city even more.
I always describe my relationship with the city as a “love-hate” relationship. The rains, the trains and the traffic can make anyone go crazy. But there are some nights when the city makes you fall in love with it. And I need some Bombay loving right now :(

Nostid_Arju December 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Yo are a pretty women. Lucky is the guy

Abhilash Tawade July 11, 2013 at 8:16 am

I live in Pune , a 3 hour drive from Mumbai
My relatives live in Mumbai , So I visit Mumbai frequently
So I’ll tell you my experience

Bad Things :
Every time I visit Mumbai , I feel very disgusting because of the dirty odor in most places,poverty , pollution , traffic , the honking etc.
The distribution of money is very unequal and people live wherever they get a place to live ,the poor on the footpath and the rich in towers.
The property rate is very high , you need a lot of money to buy a place to live in Mumbai. For the rich,ok you might get a decent place but an average person has to pay a heap of money to buy a very small apartment.And you don’t get what you pay for.After paying a lot of money you get a place to live in a tall building surrounded by slums!What a view!
And Mumbaikars may still find it safe to live as they have adapted to it,but I don’t!
It is because of this reason that Mumbaikars have been shifting to my city , Pune, where there is cheaper property and you get a very good place at lesser than half the price of the shitty place you get in Mumbai.Ok,now comes the question of attitude.
Mumbaikars are full of attitude.They are full of pride for their city and boast dirty things that are not worthy of boasting.and they keep complaining of the new city.They migrate to other cities yet their heart remains in Mumbai,and one cannot think properly when his/her heart is someone else.But sure their kids don’t grow up to be like them bcoz they are not raised in Mumbai.I will talk about attitude in positive side also.
Another thing is they rush all the time. They act as if they are in hurry to reach somewhere.It happens in Mumbai all the time.I remember I had to reach a place in Mumbai and wanted to ask someone directions.I decide to ask the passerbys. Hey can you…(He’s gone rushing).Hello can you tell me… (She’s gone).I then said bless google! and looked for directions on Google maps.
And Mumbai is very crowded
Good things:
The best thing about Mumbai is it is where most of the money in India flows.You’ll find more facilities than any other city in India here as the taxpayer’s revenue here is very high they can afford it.
There is sea!You can pass a lot of time there just watching the tides!
Go to Marine Drive ,the view of Mumbai’s skyline is awesome at night!
The shopkeepers, taxi drivers etc. have the attitude of “Customer is the Boss” . They provide you service even at late night,unlike other cities where shops close down in night.There is healthy competition in business.
Imagine going out for an ice-cream after dinner,when you see a Baskin’N’Robbin and a local icecream shop close to each other.The local one will provide cheaper and better ice cream.You can go whre you want to ,you have a choice.You can choose to go to a mall,or a small shop close to it where you might find the same things.
I remember when we stopped our car in front of the shops, and the local one sent his helping hand to take the order from the car itself! WEll,that was a better service than Baskin’N’Robbin
Now ,the attitude part.Mumbai people struggle everyday to live there life.They have been struggling there for years .Bomb blasts , floods,riots etc. have been taking place there. But people don’t get defeated by all this. They fight it.That’s an attitude to appreciate.
(I feel Mumbai is like Gotham city, highly corrupted but still hope in some way)

Abhilash Tawade July 11, 2013 at 8:17 am

I forgot to mention travelling in Mumbai is shit
Local trains are overcrowded
many people die every year falling from trains

Sharell शारेल July 11, 2013 at 8:28 am

Travelling around Mumbai is really difficult. And, it’s gotten worse over the years — roads and trains are more crowded. It really discourages me from going out anywhere these days.

Abhilash Tawade July 11, 2013 at 8:19 am

And the Worli Sea Link , The Eatern Freeway, the so called pride of Mumbai.
Well, the common man doesn’t get to use them.No buses allowed on them,only cars.

Sharell शारेल July 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

Not even any two wheelers. :-(

sushim July 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Mumbai has everyone seeks for you can survive on “vada Pav” or perhaps eat at a place listed in Conde Nast magazine.Each part of Mumbai has story to tell be it Bandra be it Malad,no day will be same.You can spend a day enjoying Sea & architecture of South Mumbai or you can flip through books at Fountain.While you can watch movies at Regal/Eros or visit NCPA where you get to see perhaps best of worlds talent.Mumbai offers choices at almost all things on offering.Life here has a pace which is appreciable.