Sunday Flea Market at Bonobo in Mumbai

by Sharell शारेल on August 7, 2012

in Daily Life in India

Post image for Sunday Flea Market at Bonobo in Mumbai

One of my friends recently remarked that Mumbai seems like a fun city — and it is! There’s always something going on. The flea market concept has been gaining popularity lately, especially as it gives emerging designers and small retailers a platform to showcase their goods. These markets are randomly held at venues across the city, with Bonobo being the latest place.

One of the effects of the raids on Mumbai’s nightlife is that it’s meant that bar owners have had to become a bit more creative in attracting patrons. Bonobo has started operating from midday and offering free WiFi for the arty, freelancing crowd that go there.

It’s uncertain whether Bonobo plans to host another flea market, but I really enjoyed this one. It was a groovy combination of fashion, handicrafts, party items, jewellery, food, drinks, and music. A superb way to spend a lazy monsoon Sunday!

Fun fashion.

Colourful handicrafts.

Jewellery.

The jewellery and handicraft stalls were my weaknesses. I ended up buying some silver junk jewellery (a necklace and earrings) as well as the tall solid wood candlestick in the picture below. A bargain for only 500 rupees!

My favourite stalls.

Party items.

Just for a change… no fake moustaches!

Stars in my eyes. The world through rose tinted glasses.

Topped off nicely with my favourite Bonobo Chicken and glass of wine.

© 2012, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Laanisa August 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm

This looks amazing, how do you get to know when and where they are?

Sharell शारेल August 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm

They’re usually publicised on Mumbai Boss and Brown Paper Bag.

You can subscribe for updates, and find out all the stuff that’s happening in Mumbai. :-)

Sharell शारेल August 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm
ASG August 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Hi Sharrel,

It looks like a glamorized version the Delhi Haat. The Delhi Haat has different stalls selling handicrafts of different States alongwith their food. We go to our weekly flea market or haat for get vegetables cheaply and pick up articles of daily use.

Sharell शारेल August 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Delhi Haat is awesome. Wish we had something like that in Mumbai.

ASG August 7, 2012 at 6:10 pm

The Trade Fair at Pragati Maidan also has pavilions of different States offering different handicrafts which are beautifully decorated. It is the annual winter picnic spot for the Delhites. I have never been to Mumbai but I believe that Delhi offers more places for shopping and other stuff.

Sharell शारेल August 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm

More places to shop, more parks and gardens, and more historical attractions. Delhi has much more to offer than Mumbai in general. It doesn’t have the beach though!

ASG August 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Indian beaches are not like Australian beaches where people can indulge in all kinds of activities like swimming, surfing, sun bathing, so being on a beach in India is little fun apart from the fact there is always problem of floods during the monsoon in Mumbai. My only encounter with the sea was in Puri. Sea is kind scary, majestic and awe inspiring at the same time.

BTW have you moved to your new house. It seems that you are mighty busy these days.

Sharell शारेल August 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I just find the sea very calming, no matter if I can’t swim. There are some quieter beaches to the north of Mumbai that I really enjoy, such as this one. http://www.whiteindianhousewife.com/2008/02/going-to-aksa-beach-indian-style/

We’ll be moving early next week as we’re still in the process of finalising the paperwork. I’ve been devoting time to other (paying) work rather than this blog lately!

TAMASHA! August 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I wasn’t terribly impressed with Delhi Haat.
Mumbai may not have as many places to shop as Delhi, but the quality of merchandise & services available seem better in Mumbai. Mumbai has the best art supply stores in India- Himalaya Fine Art supplies on Palton Road rocks!

Mukul August 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Tamasha Not sure how well you know Delhi. There are ample places in Delhi to hunt for your bargains. Sarojni nagar, lajpat nagar, sadar bazar, chawri bazar, chor bazar (behind lal quilla), Daryagunj, janpath, cannaught place, tibetan market, karol bagh, gandhinagar, sahadra… I can go on.
Honestly don’t know Bombay inside out as I know Delhi. Both places have their own charm. Enjoyed my short stay in Mumbai.

TAMASHA! August 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Mukul-
I know Delhi quite well. We own a house in New Delhi & flats in Gurgaon & Noida. The ‘ample’ places you list for bargains- i.e. Sarojini Nagar, Janpath, Chor Bazaar, etc. -are full of poor quality items (aka JUNK) that wouldn’t even pass muster at Walmart in the US.
The only thing ‘Tibetan’ at the Tibetan Market is the momo stand & the Tibetan refugees selling cheap Chinese crap.
Connaught Place is a tourist trap also.
Delhi (or Dilli) Haat is nice to take visitors because of the arts & crafts available from every state in India in an uncrowded park like setting.
Hauz Khas is even better.
I usually shop at Khan market, Saket, Vasant Kunj, South extension, Pacific Mall (near Tagore Garden) etc.
Still, there isn’t quite the selection nor quality of merchandise a spoiled American like me is accustomed to. ;)

Mukul August 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Isse kahte hain Oont pahad niche (Camel coming under the mountain). You win. I do not know Mumbai well.

Ceri August 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It looks like my dream. :) I love little markets like this.

Kelsey August 11, 2012 at 7:20 am

Looks fun, I remember Bonobo…cool spot…

Love visiting your blog for some Mumbai memory lane :)

Padparadscha August 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

That sounds like a really cool sunday :)