The View from Our New Home and Why I Love It

by Sharell शारेल on August 24, 2012

in Daily Life in India

Post image for The View from Our New Home and Why I Love It

Our new apartment, on the 15th floor, has views south all the way to Worli and the Bandra-Worli Sealink.

High rise towers blend with chawls. Concrete contrasts with trees. Mosques and temples coexist alongside each other. The infamous bamboo scaffolding supports underway constructions. Planes come in for landing and take off from the airport. Honking and chanting can be heard in the distance.

It is quintessentially Mumbai and I could gaze out into it forever.

It makes me feel alive, and very grateful to be living here. It’s particularly sweet because its a culmination of a lot of work and determination, over the 4.5 years we’ve been in this city.

Sunset view from our balcony.

Night view from our balcony.

And of course, the terrace! (With terracotta tiles, so I don’t have to paint it).

View from our terrace.

© Copyright Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

laanisa August 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Congratulations! Its so great to have a view over the city i agree! Feels like you’re having a bit of overview and control over it :) :)
And its also so beautiful to watch the world go by below and be near to the sky! Hope you’ll continue having a beautiful time there

Sharell शारेल August 24, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Thank you! And I totally agree. Finally, I’m on top of the city, and not the other way around. :-D

Soum August 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm

It must be feeling like a bird’s nest.

Sharell शारेल August 24, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Ha! Yeah, it does a bit.

vinod August 24, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Just curious.

Do you have mosquito problem at the 15th floor apartment? And what if the elvator breaks down?

Sharell शारेल August 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I am soooo happy! Not one mosquito yet (unlike our previous bungalow where I got my blood sucked every night). If the elevator breaks down, I’d like to think it would be promptly repaired. I’ve walked down 15 flights of stairs before though, when we used to have fire drills in my office building back in Melbourne.

Fiyin August 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Hi Sharell, came across ur blog a few days ago nd Its being fun reading it. Its like experiencing a whole new world on a different level. I’ve always being fascinated by India and want to travel to india in the nearest future. Still not done reading the blog but keep up d good work :)

Sharell शारेल August 24, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Welcome to the blog, and I’m glad you’re enjoying it. India is an immensely interesting country — I can understand your wish to visit it. I’m sure it won’t disappoint should you ever get the opportunity!

Padparadscha August 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

That’s a wonderful view, great move !

Päm August 25, 2012 at 2:39 am

OH my! This view is to die for! and to be able to sit on the terrrace with some good food and look out over mumbai! Precious!

Manny August 25, 2012 at 6:51 am

If you get bored, You can always chew paan and then spit from there.

:P

Sharell शारेल August 25, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Well, not really. Masala paan/gutkha was recently banned in Mumbai!

prithviraj33 August 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm

This is the best thing Mumbai has ever done!

Manny August 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

What? Just when I thought or chewing some Paan, they ban it. Sheesh! Can’t get a break! :P

vinod August 27, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Why do you need to go to India for chewing Paan. Do it with style at Newyork. Newyork Skyscrapers are taller than the building at aamchi Mumbai.

You can take an Indian out of India but you can’t take India out of an Indian.

Chanakya September 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Manny,

You can chew paan surely. Only Paan Masala and Gutkha have been banned not Paan.

Interestingly Kerala, Bihar, Uttarpradesh and Madhya Pradesh have banned the Gutkha in the past but this is the first time that a state has banned paan masala.

Tushar August 25, 2012 at 9:23 am

Yoy must be very rich by now to have home like this in Mumbai. Congrats…have a wonderful time in new home.

Akshaya August 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Hi sharell, congrats for your new home. Hope it gives you more memories to cherish

Laura August 26, 2012 at 1:55 am

Congrats on your new home! I trust nobody can dump trash on your gorgeous terrace, unlike your first Mumbai apartment? Your view is just stunning!!

Sharell शारेल August 26, 2012 at 1:57 am

Thankfully there is no chance of rubbish dumping since we’re on the top floor! :-D Aaah, that brings back such awful memories.

tina August 26, 2012 at 2:10 am

Wow, this is so fascinating. When I read you moved (again) to another place, I was wondering if it was an ordeal for to move your things. You covered everything I wanted to know. It’s just amazing how bad the corruption is in India and the ordeal just to find a place.

Sharell शारेल August 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

Glad you found the post useful! Yes, it really is a drawn out and tiring process.

swatfred August 26, 2012 at 3:24 am

Hey Sharell,

I was recently in Mumbai, there was a tower almost built, near Dhobi Ghaat, is this tower that one ?
If you dont mind, or sharing privately, how much is the rent and if its 3 bhk.
Thanks, the view looks amazing, for us – artist couple, it’s like perfect!

Sharell शारेल August 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

It’s actually in Chandivali, on Nahar Amrit Shakti Road, which is the suburb next to Powai/Hiranandani Gardens. It’s a 2BHK. The rent is 33k a month. If you want a 3 BHK, the rent will be around 35-38k a month. I agree, it’s perfect for creative people! :-)

sanno umreth August 26, 2012 at 4:56 am

It seemed to me that the House Hunters International segment indicated a female broker but you seem to refer to the broker as a male. My recollection is incorrect or HHI recreated your previous search with some creative license!

Sharell शारेल August 26, 2012 at 11:04 am

House Hunters is a “creative show”. They needed an English speaking broker so they used junior member of the firm who worked there part time. She was a relative of the broker, but actually a college student. The real broker is acting in the show as the landlord. ;-)

Brian Sulivan August 26, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Thankyou for this Sharell.

Mumbai certianly is a wonderful city.I am so happy India is thje success of your soul and heart. Still this outback country boy (although my family are long time Melbournian’s) is glad he escaped to the relative quiet of the Bhopal outskirts. I treasure quiet when ever it is able to be found in India – a near impossible task. Here atleast its almost like walking into a village, and my love of history and art is close at hand.
A non driver (epilepsy), at times I miss the convenience of Pune.
Also getting a maid is harder – bathrooms will not be cleaned by reason of caste for example.

I truly love India, even if at times my weestern past is challenged.

Namaste (नमस्ते) (or is it Namas-G’Day),

Brian (ब्रॆइन)

Sharell शारेल August 27, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi Brian — Namas-G’Day, hehe, I like that! :-) I grew up in country Victoria on 5 acres of land, and my mum’s family have farms — so I totally understand what quietness means to you in India!

I truly love India, even if at times my weestern past is challenged.

Me too!

Teril August 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

What a breathtaking view!!! I’m a city girl and would LOVE a view like that!
Congrats on the move, Sharell…you most definitely deserve that wonderful apartment!

Sharell शारेल August 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Thanks so much. It all feels like a bit of a dream.

Chris August 26, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Congrats on your new home ! Wishing you great times in your new apartment.

The terrace looks lovely !

Is the terrace shown in the photo your own personal terrace, attached to your apartment, or is it the terrace at the very top of the building, common to all the apartments ?

Sharell शारेल August 26, 2012 at 11:43 pm

It’s a personal one attached to our apartment. :-) So blessed! We didn’t expect to find such a place.

botham August 27, 2012 at 2:23 am

About the landlord wanting 1 years rent:

I don’t the rules in bombay now, but technically in bombay a tenant could keep paying rent (or not for that matter) and the landlord could do nothing legally to boot the tenant out. Even relatives used to take advantage of this and many a swindles have happen. Some sane folks in social settings used to talk about using mafias help in booting tenants out. I still wonder with indias slow moving legal recourse, whether landlords are not taking a big risk renting a place out.

Sharell शारेल August 27, 2012 at 11:03 am

Ugh, my inlaws lost a property in Mumbai because relatives were staying in it and they swindled them. :-(

priya August 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

dropping in here aft a long time..hope u r doing great Sharell!! the night view looks absolutely blissful! sigh…getting such a view in Mumbai is a distant dream! enjoy ur new home! finally u wont have people peeping into ur homes from the building near by, as it happens in most of the cases :)

Sharell शारेल August 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Welcome back! And yes, I’m relishing the privacy. :-D

Madhu Nair August 28, 2012 at 4:46 am

Congratulations on the move, Sharell!
Loved what you guys have done with the interiors.
Fav part for me is the view … I love high rises.
Enjoy your new space!
Cheers,
Madhu

nRi October 10, 2012 at 2:28 am

Where is your apartment located in Mumbai ? If you don’t mind my asking , how much rent are you paying per month for it in Rs.

Does it include utilities like electricity , water , maintenance charges etc ?

I am originally from Mumbai , but living in Canada for the last 16 yrs…never been back to India after coming here, so you probably know more about Mumbai than I do , which is weird..lol..even though I was born and brought up in Mumbai and speak the local language( Marathi ) and Hindi, Mumbai is going to be alien to me if I come back as I have been out for so long and got used to the western standards and lifestyle.

daniela October 19, 2012 at 2:48 am

what a gorgeous view!

Dell October 25, 2012 at 12:11 am

Reminds me of Bob Marleys Concrete Jungle….

Concrete jungle… Man you got to do your (concrete, jungle!) best. Woooh, yeah.

tushar March 28, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hi Sharell शारेल

i like your story and transform your life. i want to meet u to congratulation
shifted mumbai, with your love i lived borivali come to my home with huby we do dinner together . i share more story of mumbai.
god bless u. u can contact me any help if u need. my email id mentions.
count me as good friend and i dont need anything from u. just good day

from Tushar

Sharell शारेल March 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thanks so much, Tushar. That’s very kind of you.