The Wonders of Ayurvedic Chai

by Sharell शारेल on August 8, 2012

in Eating & Drinking

Post image for The Wonders of Ayurvedic Chai

The monsoon has been taking its toll on my health lately. I had a sore throat last week, and another one today. However, I’ve noticed that what’s really helped cure it is my husband’s blend of chai.

Here’s what it contains:

• Black pepper powder — 1/2 teaspoon.
  • Ginger — an inch or two, sliced finely.
  • Honey — 1 teaspoon.
  • Lemon — juice of a small one.
  • Water — a large cup.

Make it by boiling the water, ginger, and pepper together. Then, add it to the cup with the honey and lemon (you can remove the ginger pieces if you wish).

It burns my throat, but miraculously soothes and stops the soreness soon after. It’s worked for me both times now!

© Copyright 2012 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

vinod August 8, 2012 at 1:39 am

You can also add some tulasi leaves in it. That would certainly make it more flavorful and effective.

Some more tips for cold and cough -
1) Take half spoon of ginger juice, half spoon of honey. Mix it and take it thrice a day. Ginger will help in removing the phlegm.
2) Take 1 spoon of cardamom,dry ginger powder, black pepper and cinnamon. Add 4 spoons of sugar . Grind the mixture into fine powder. Mix half spoon of this powder with honey twice a day after having food.
3) Make a paste of half a spoon of turmeric powder, a pinch of black pepper powder and 1 spoon of honey. Take this paste after having food. Drink a cup of milk after this. This will have wonderful effect for common cold and cough.
4) Take 1 spoon of tulasi, 1 spoon of ginger juice and 1 spoon of honey. Mix it and have it in the morning. This will give a great relief.

Amelia August 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

It’s amazing what a cup of chai can do! Whenever I have a sore throat I make a cup of chai (with milk and tea leaves) plus grated ginger it and mix in a little honey. My mother in law makes me eat an egg with turmeric in it also. It always soothes the throat.
My journal/blog happens to be called chai ladai!

Hope you get better soon Sharell

Mukul August 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Another Recipe
Heat 2 tablespoons of pure ghee
Add some crushed black pepper and and tulasi (holy basil) leaves.
Keep heating till it boils.
Sip it slowly.

TAMASHA! August 8, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Mmmmmmmm!!!
I love chai!
Sharell, you might want to plant some tulasi in a pot if you have a balcony at your new place. I have about 12 plants in a raised bed along the southern side of my house. Tulasi (lemon basil or holy basil) is great for the sniffles & sore throat (as i’m sure you’ve noticed.)

rebeca August 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm

It’s the honey and lemon. In Brazil, a cure for a sore throat is a spoonful of honey with fresh lemon juice. It’s nasty but it works wonders!

MomWithaDot August 9, 2012 at 7:28 am

True. Works like magic, everytime.

Try freshly crushed pepper for stronger flavor (can’t taste much with a cold, I know. But still…

For little kids:

Boil all ingredients substituting lemon with 1/2 tsp turmeric in milk, condensing contents to half the original volume. Feed this concoction as often as possible (at least 2 tbsp at a time) for immediate relief.

The wonders of Ayurveda seem almost endless!

Manny August 9, 2012 at 8:56 am

I like this particular drink that is good for the throat.

Some Ginger, Mint, fresh Lime…and white rum. Its called Mojito :P

Manny August 9, 2012 at 9:01 am

How about Rasam? Anyone drink real good Rasam aka Mullagutani soup when you have the sniffles?

Ravindran Nair August 10, 2012 at 4:52 am

I did two years ago. My Mother used to make it whenever i used to have a cold

Ceri August 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm

The rainy season has been affecting my throat lately here too. I’m definitely trying this!

Makk August 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Ginger is soul of this cure… you take it away and its effectiveness goes down to 25%

Dev August 10, 2012 at 3:49 am

Does regular old basil (like the kind you put in pizza and Italian dishes) have the same medicinal properties as tulasi leaves? Can I find it/grow it in the States?

Sheryl, I make the same sort of chai when I’m sick. But I add one stick of cinnamon. It burns but its soooo good and effective!

ASG August 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Hi Sharrel,

Happy Janasmasthami to u and family.

Daniela August 10, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Hi
take photos with you indian husband and show us =)

Daniela August 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm

When you pierced your nose , it hurted much? what care you need?

Nick August 10, 2012 at 11:52 pm

According to the Vedas, “Vardavanditakara scotchami sarva bhavatu”, which means scotch will cure all ills from the common cold to cancer.

local_yokel August 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Reminds me ..in school, whenever I was down with the chills , sore throat or the like: it was usually chicken soup (with peppercorns grated in)and rustic style bread for dinner followed by a large tbsp. of brandy. needless to say , worked like a charm it did.

Pepper August 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Even the sound of it makes my throat burn. But I guess this is really effective. Will bookmark it.

Sandra August 15, 2012 at 1:05 am

Hi!! Day 3 in Mumbai and am here on a Fellowship from USA for 10 months.. very happy to come across your blog to gain a different perspective in India.. I’m doing work with a local NGO focusing on health issues amongst women and children in marginalized communities of Mumbai.. my background is in architecture and design and working in the social sector as a designer (hence I founded a nonprofit organization in USA – http://www.rebuildglobal.org.) I look forward to following your blog and if there are any fun things going on in the city, feel free to email me.. always happy to grab a drink and start adjusting to this city.. Thanks!! Sandra

Pari August 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm

try using just mild black tea with lemon.. works good for me…

darryn August 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Cool. Ill try this.

Mykill August 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I loved that recipe, in fact i made it for my mom, who had a bad cough and a soar throat, and it worked really well, except for that the fact she found it slightly pungent..:-)