Me on TV Show “Shanti, Au Coeur de l’Inde”

by Sharell शारेल on October 30, 2012

in Work in India

Many of you will know that I’ve been on a few TV shows, the most infamous being House Hunters in the US. However, my “debut” was around three years ago when I had the honour of showing a French Canadian TV hostess the Mumbai nightlife (that was!) for a documentary on India.

A friend of mine, DJ Reji, recently dug it up from the depths of the Internet, so I thought I’d share it here. Apart from me, you can see him being interviewed on a swing, upstairs at Zenzi Mills. It was once one of Mumbai’s hottest bars but has since been a casualty of the nightlife here.

So, for those of you who’ve wanted to know what I sound like, this should satisfy your curiosity!

© Copyright 2012 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

viksdes October 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Ah bien, liked your dance moves!

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

That’s the part I was most scared of seeing!

ASG October 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hi Sharrel,

You look ravishing.

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Ravishing! lol. Thank you.

ASG October 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm

i was mesmerised to see u in flesh and blood . Your english though was very australian. Could understand only few words, in the beginning.

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Yeah, I didn’t have my Indian accent happening that time. ;-) It was quite soon after I’d moved to Mumbai.

ASG October 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Hi Sharrel,

From the side you looked like a fair punjabi women with black hair and from the front you looked like Nicole Kidman with black hair and you accent was somewhat like what educated westernized Indians like when you said “there is rustic feeling to it”. You sounded more like an Indian and then there was the australian accent.

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Haha… instead of American Born Confused Desi (ABCD), I might be an Australian Born Confused Desi!

ASG October 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm

As you have discovered from your spritual quest u were indian in previous birth

Sharell शारेल October 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm

More than one previous birth. :-)

ASG November 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hi Sharrel,

Going by your beauty, you must have been Indian Classical Dancer in your previous birth. The kind you see on the walls of temples doing dance

Sharell शारेल November 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Not in the past lives that I know of, but thanks for the compliment. :-)

Padparadscha October 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I agree with ASG. That’s probably why people stare at you, Sharell, you’re really sweet, endearing and have a winning smile ;)

Incidentally the show hostess says at one moment something like “it’s interesting to be dancing in a night club in a country that sometimes feels like the Middle Ages”. That should stirr up a few comments. O_o

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Mon dieu! :-o I think you might be right.

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm

By the way, thank you for the lovely compliment.

Nick October 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hey, great clip and dancing. Oui oui. was Wondering what your accent sounded like but you said this was a few years ago. Do you try to sound like a mumbaite so more people understand? Or has your accent changed? And what happens when you visit Australia? Is the head wobble now a natural for you?

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm

My accent has “adapted” to India now. I think it’s particularly been a result of speaking Hindi more… as I’ve tried to perfect my pronunciation, I’ve begun speaking more with an Indian accent. But it changes depending on who I’m around. If I’m with other Australians or foreigners, it sounds more Aussie. If I’m with Indians, you probably wouldn’t be able to tell which country I came from just by talking to me. I rarely go as far as to speak like “Arre, yaar….” though! As for the head wobble, sometimes it’s unavoidable if someone is wobbling at me, but I try and avoid it otherwise. I know all the nuances and meanings though… fast wobble, slow wobble etc.

When I visit Australia, my Aussie accent comes back almost immediately. Although it feels strange speaking like that. I keep thinking people won’t understand me. ;-)

Nick October 31, 2012 at 2:28 am

Oh no, you have the head wobble, sometimes! I do it with Indians only too as well as the changing accents, although I can imitate many different ones perfectly so I do have fun with it. Thanks for the videsi girl blog-it is just hilarious!!!! Too funny yaar!!! Also, how do your parents etc react when you talk on the phone when in Oz with someone in India and talk like an Indian?? My non Indian wife looks at me like I am Ravana when I speak to my folks in India as do my children. Funny!!

Sharell शारेल October 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’m not much of a phone person to be honest, so they never hear me talking to anyone in India when I’m in Oz! However, the most confusing thing for my mother is when she’s sometimes on the phone to me in India and I’m in an auto rickshaw, and I suddenly switch from Aussie English to Hindi to give the driver instruction. It kinda freaks the driver out too. It’s definitely a Ravana moment!

Nick November 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hahaha..so true. The switching of languages to a completely unheard of one is mesmerizing to some. You must teach your friends in Oz some funny things when they come visit or even there. A friend taught his American gf to say hello to Indians by saying “kya bhainchodh?” We were all stunned at the party when she went around saying hello!!!! Tot one gf to say hello by saying “ay, chuddi khol” which she used on the Indians, all men, at her work. Too funny!!!

Mrs W October 30, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for sharing that video! You are so cute Sharell….you have a sweet smile and cheerful nature that makes you instantly likeable! :) It was interesting for me to see what a Mumbai night club looks like. When I visited their with my husband, I was just at family or family’s homes, at shopping malls, or visiting a temple. I have a question…is your husband still doing DJ gigs around Mumbai?

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Glad you found it interesting… it’s a different side of Mumbai for sure. It could be anywhere in the world almost. My husband looking after the music full time in just one bar in Mumbai these days (and still going back to Kolkata for one off gigs from time to time).

TAMASHA! October 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Wow, Sharell!!!
You film beautifully.
Not all beauties translate to the screen like that, you know!
As you said that club could be anywhere- New York, LA, London, Paris.
I’m wondering if there’s a ‘cover charge’?
What sort of ‘casualty’ has the ‘nightlife’ suffered in Mumbai?
Did Zenzi Mills fail because of the ‘drug bust’ scare?

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm

No, the problems at Zenzi came in 2010, much before the “drug busts”. The issue that time was irate residents, who forced its other branch (the original Zenzi, in Bandra) to close along with a number of other bars in that area. (Residents complained about noise and rubbish, and Zenzi ended up getting razed). After that incident, the management decided to sell Zenzi Mills off.

Not sure about the cover charge at Zenzi Mills, I think it depended on what was on. Some nights may have been 500 rs max. It wasn’t as exclusive as some bars and clubs in Mumbai, which was the beauty of it.

Anand October 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

She says Nice to meet you Sharell,,,and you say “Yeah” ???!!!! you were slightly offbeat, felt uncomfortable there ??? you did not see the camera though…

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 8:41 pm

If a camera was shoved in your face, yet you had to pretend not to notice it, and you knew you were going to be on international TV (actually make that any TV) for the first time in your life… how would you be feeling? :-P

Laanisa October 30, 2012 at 8:30 pm

You’re so sweet Sharell! :) nice video, such a shame Zenzi is gone, it looks really nice. Missing a great club to dance away through the night here…..

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Dancing away through the night is pretty much a thing of the past anywhere in Mumbai these days! ;-) Did you hear about the weekend’s fiasco at LIV in south Mumbai? It never seems to end…

melbourne desi October 31, 2012 at 6:56 am

Mumbai does not seem to want night life – no big loss I would aver

Laanisa October 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Yes i did! i was actually looking for some response from bloggers and columnists about the crazy behavior of the cops but haven’t found anything. it seems its almost worse than the last raid. I know i read in the paper that you have a right to refuse to go to the police station for blood tests and such if there is a raid and it seems that was exactly what they did but now these two lawyers are being hunted? whats the deal? are we safe to go out dancing?

Sharell शारेल October 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm
TAMASHA! October 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm

From the article Sharell linked-
‘In September, the city’s party goers heaved a sigh of relief on learning that club-raiding ACP Vasant Dhoble would not only be transferred out of the Social Services Branch, but also that chief minister Prithviraj Chavan claimed he was committed to lifting Mumbai’s nightlife to “foreign” standards.’
Oh dear me, ‘foreign standards’ = westernization. Chee, chee chee!!!

Laanisa October 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Surely if the club is open beyond its legit hours you should target the owners not the people in the club who are unaware

Laanisa October 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Wow thank you, i haven’t been reading the papers for the last 2 days. Such humiliation, and how scary to be in that situation. It seems they are on a mission to destroy what makes Mumbai unique in India, its relative freedom for people to be who they are and enjoy life as young, happy and independent individuals.

Manny October 31, 2012 at 12:06 am

Too much govt intrusion into what people do in their privacy.

And this one in Dubai is even more strange. I thought Dubai was really progressive.

Pakistani-Indian couple in dock for ‘cuddling and kissing without being married’ in Dubai.

liall October 31, 2012 at 3:36 am

DId not know you had a nose ring? haha and how do you sound now? Do you sound more Australian or more Indian now?

L'impulsive montréalaise October 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm

That’s kind of funny to read a blog about India… and to see a someone from Quebec (French Canadian) like me ! World is small ! Funny to be able to see a small of a Club there.

Sharell शारेल October 31, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Indeed, the world is so large, yet so small, at times!

Lyn October 31, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Ha, it´s funny to see a familiar face (well, name) on your Blog. Reji was present when my fiancée and I met the first time on some House Party (which didn´t deserve it´s name…). I figured that at least your husband would know him, since the Mumbai Party Scene is rather small.

Looking at the recent police incidents at the clubs I am really wondering how it will be coming back to the city. Not being a party girl, but I really was looking forward to dance the night away in my wedding saree!

Sharell शारेल October 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Haha, my husband has known Reji for years (easily a decade or more), and they were recently working together too. Reji loves house parties in all shapes and forms! I might add that he also has a lot of German female friends! ;-)

The nightlife issues had really died down, so the one on the weekend came as a surprise. I think you should be fine. Hopefully, it was just an isolated incident.

Lyn October 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Ever since I discovered your Blog I wondered if Aditya (the fiancée) actually knows your husband. He was quite actively involved in the Party Scene at one point. That was before he met me and stopped going out at all. Guess I am a bad influence!

Will ask Reji about his German entanglement…:) and packing out my dancing shoes!

Sharell शारेल October 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm

He may know him, but only if it was many years ago because my hubby was in Kolkata for 7 years (where I met him) before we eventually moved back to Mumbai. He only just got back into music in a major way this year.

Ask Reji about the couple of lines of German I suggested he say to his most special German friend. :-P I couldn’t stop laughing when he actually did it!!

Lyn November 1, 2012 at 2:12 am

Not sure if I want to know what you taught Reji! – Somehow I assume he doesn´t even know what he´s saying:)

Hmmm, then it´s not likely that they met. Aditya started partying around the time your husband was in Kolkata and stopped 3 years ago.

Jane November 1, 2012 at 2:23 am

Hi Sharell – thanks for sharing that piece of footage! And btw I totally agree with ASG that you were already Indian before moving there – from the househunters show and this, it’s so obvious that you were born in the wrong country and found your way back home!
I’m going to have to visit Mumbai on my next visit to India, as it seems that’s where to find the best Indian/western fusion clothing – you’re always wearing things I want! things that would fit well into my culture but with that wonderful, delicious Indian flare. If you have any favourite place/s you like to buy that might also sell on the internet, let me know!

Sharell शारेल November 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hi Jane, my favourite is Global Desi: http://www.globaldesi.in/

I’d love to buy everything in their collection! :-D

The do have an online store, which I’ve bought items from, but I’m not sure if they ship abroad.

LeeAnn November 1, 2012 at 6:45 am

Sharell, you do have great dance moves! I love hearing the Eurythmics. I guess music does bridge cultures. :)

Teril November 4, 2012 at 4:09 am

Loved it! Thank you for sharing it with us. I used to watch House Hunters every day – there were generally at least 4 episodes back-to-back. My favorite was House Hunters International since many of the homes were so different to the American mindset. Were you in one of the International shows ie. looking for an apt. in India? And is it anywhere on the net, YouTube, etc.? Would LOVE to see that. I may even *have* seen the episode but hadn’t “met” you yet back then.

Mukul November 4, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hi Sharell
It was nice to see you in video.
I felt there is some resemblance between you and the actress Diya Mirza.
More on the way you express than the actual facial similarity. Did anyone tell you that? :)

Sharell शारेल November 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm
Mukul November 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm

That is cool. Now Diya knows whom to use as body double for her stunts :)

Brittany November 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Wow, it’s nice to get a feel for you in person on TV compared to the writings in your blog. You’re so smiley, you’re always smiling and you seem so nice and approachable!! I like it!

Sandesh Sawant November 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I liked the video very much, specially those dance moves. I would say that you should act as a travel host for channels like TLC, FOX… just like Samatha Brown. You will be a great host.

Jashn May 3, 2013 at 12:30 am

I thought you might be interested to have a link to the show online. The only caveat is that I’m Canadian, so I’m not sure whether this is available to view freely online outside of the country. However, the episode with you, Sharell, is found on their website here: http://www.evasion.tv/emissions/shanti_au_coeur_de_linde/episodes/mumbai_g55q3

And she apparently did a series of episodes on India, so the whole show’s website is actually found here: http://www.evasion.tv/emissions/shanti_au_coeur_de_linde/#emission

Sharell शारेल May 3, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hey, thanks for sharing that, Jashn. :-D

Jashn May 4, 2013 at 3:35 am

Very welcome, Sharell. Love your blog, keep writing! :)