Gangnam Style Goes Local in Mumbai

by Sharell शारेल on November 10, 2012

in Inspirational India

Today brought one of those moments that left me thinking, “Very cool India, very cool.” And even better it happened in my neighbourhood — a Gangnam Style flash mob!

Check out these Indians getting their horse dance on. Giddy up groovers!

(Thanks to Powai.info for organising the event).

Here are a few photos as well.

© Copyright 2012 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

Bronwyn November 11, 2012 at 3:56 am

I love this! It reminds me of the VT station flash mob that happened several months ago. I cry every time I see the video, Mumbai is too beautiful in all of her spirit and colour.
See it here if you haven’t already:

Missing the spirit of Mumbai today more than usual. Thanks for posting this, Sharell!

Sharell शारेल November 11, 2012 at 10:49 am

Awww, but you have amazing memories. As they saying goes, “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” Memories are often bitter sweet though.

Cathy November 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Very nice saying Sharell ! I don’t recall ever hearing it before :)

vinod November 11, 2012 at 7:05 am

Reminds me the good old college days. The days on which orchestra would play on the stages. I would be there dancing, and hell it was good after few drinks.

Indian men and women sure can dance. but i am not sure, but do white men lack dancing bones in their bodies. I have seen few, and they looked awkward. no sense of rhythm in their bodies.

Sharell शारेल November 11, 2012 at 10:45 am

It’s true, and I think it’s because they don’t learn to dance from a young age — unlike in India where kids are being shown dance moves as soon as they can walk!

vikas November 14, 2012 at 10:37 am

But one thing Sharell, white women when they dance they dance just like the men.They are very physical in their movements and don’t have the grace associated with Indian women dancers.What do you think could be the reason? Is it because girls from a young age in the West have no inclination towards girlish mannerisms?

Sharell शारेल November 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm

No, not at all. Young girls are very girlish in the west. It’s simply a matter of no structured dance training. People make up their own dance moves. India has many structure dance moves, often copied from choreographed Bollywood movies. These are instilled into Indian children from a young age.

Manny November 11, 2012 at 7:40 am

You won’t see that in West Bengal or Kerala! Those are serious folks who are busy helping the poor and the starving in India unlike these slackers of Mumbai!

:P

Sharell शारेल November 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

Of course, that’s not surprising because “Gangnam Style” is a manner associated with lavish lifestyles….. ;-)

Vishal November 11, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Thank you Sharell for sharing this. Specially because I see many of them are my friends from the dance class I used to go to. It’s awesome :)

Sharell शारेल November 12, 2012 at 12:23 am

Seriously! That’s quite amazing. Glad it had special significance for you.

ASG November 12, 2012 at 11:05 am

Hi Sharrel,

Indians always love dancing. In every family, there is a certain “Uncle” who specializes in certian form of dance after a few drinks. The most infamous of the dances is the “Nagin Dance” performed during marriages. The person sits on his kneees and sways like a snake. Further, he crawls on the floor much to the amusement of the onlookers. People are specially invited to perform this cult dance.

BTW, it is said that Punjabis can dance even on the music of a diesel generator.

Sharell शारेल November 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Well, clearly I need to find out who the “snake dance” uncle ji is in my family, and get him a bit nasha at my nephew’s forthcoming wedding in February! :-D

ASG November 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm

These skilled snake dancers are found stricly among Punjabis and North Indian family. Oriyas, Bengalis and Assames are not so skilled in this Department. Their marraiges are generally quiet. However, I had a someone doing snake dance in my marriage as I wished my marriage to have some colour and sound.

Sharell शारेल November 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hmmm, my nephew is having a love marriage to a Gujarati girl. I wonder if I might find a snake dancer amongst the Gujjus?

ASG November 12, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Hi Sharrel,

Happy Diwali to you and family. May goddess Laskhmi brings light and prosperity into your household.

pragyan November 12, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Sorry ASG. I think you don’t know Oriya people well.. We dance like hell in barat..and we have Nagin dance but Typical nagin dance in oriya style is holding the handkerchief as the Been. And we have our own Sambalpuri style of dance to counter Bhangra dear..

LeeAnn November 13, 2012 at 4:25 am

I love that music & flash mobs know no boundaries! They did a great job.

LeeAnn November 13, 2012 at 4:32 am

Sharell, you are correct that Indian children learn to dance early. As a former preschool teacher, we had children in our 3 year old class whose parents came to the USA to work. Two boys in particular could out dance everyone in our class!! They were amazing, while most of the white boys stood and swayed. ;)

Ravindran Nair November 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm

When I was in Kochi last year, there was a flash mob in the mall, dancing to the latest Malayalam hit song.

So Manny, You fail.

And also white people can’t dance.

Sorry Sharell.

Sharell शारेल November 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm

No need to apologise. It’s a common fact. Not only that, many white people won’t even attempt to dance until they get drunk (no doubt because they’re self conscious of looking silly)! :-P

ASG November 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Hi Sharrel,

That leaves a very vital question. The night club and disco culture came from west. What do people do in night clubs and discos if not dance. Going by that logic, everyone in the west should have been excellent dancers.

Apart from bollywood, Indians have traditional dances for marriages and festive occassions. Bollywood drew upon Indian classical, folk and mixed it with disco moves. I saw an expisode of “America’s got Talent”. The white girls were practicing bollywood dance. They found it difficult to match rapid body movements with facial expressions. Then, I realized that bollywood dance is difficult.

Sharell शारेल November 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Of course they dance then, but that is later on in life. Western children typically have early and rigid bed times. Young children do not stay up late if their parents are at parties, they’ll all be put to bed either at home by a baby sitter or at the house where the party is. I see small Indian children dancing to loud music at parties as late as 11 pm, and Indian children being encouraged to perform dance routines at housing society events. This sort of thing isn’t generally part of western culture. Children are in bed asleep by 7-8pm.

Marcy November 17, 2012 at 3:25 am

….and even then, the typical westerner go to night clubs only when young, single or both…..and that too only learn some moves of certain popular current songs…however there are older baby boomers who have some serious moves ……you can see them in cruises, travel hot spots, community centers, etc……I think they knew how to have a good time back in the 50′s and it is so much fun to watch them.

Dance in western society also comes in the form of extra curricular activities such as ballet, tap, etc the same way Bharatnatyam and other Indian classical dance forms are learnt by young kids. These people easily transition from western to eastern dance forms, but again they are not the typical westerner.

Sharell शारेल November 17, 2012 at 11:18 am

Oh yeah, my parents have some fabulous rock n roll and ball room dancing moves! :-)

LeeAnn November 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

to save white people from their fear of dancing, comes this little boy who loves to dance and shows us how it is done!!! ;)

Teril November 16, 2012 at 12:44 am

I’d never heard of Gangnam Style until one of the group dances for this season’s “Dancing With the Stars.” Their number was a bit more…ummmm risque, especially a couple parts but great fun. So I take it the “Giddyap Cowboy” move must play a large part in Gangnam. The DWTS video is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGl1tCNo6M8

The stars/celebrities are (in order of individual dances) – Kirstie Alley (Actress/Comedienne), Emmitt Smith (Former Dallas Cowboys Football player), Kelly Monaco (Soap Opera Actress), and Gilles Marini (Actor – TV and movie credits). Gilles is from France and his partner/dancing teacher for the series is Peta Murgatroyd from…wait for it….Australia!!!

I need to crawl out from under my rock…looks like this dance has gone around the world. :)

Teril November 16, 2012 at 12:48 am

And while we’re talking dancing – one week on Dancing With the Stars featured dances that had never been done. Gilles & Peta were assigned Bollywood. Here is their rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3hLBYG7Qpc

Marcy November 17, 2012 at 3:11 am

….and now there will be a Bhangra on “DWTS” too…..yeah!!! I love how DWTS is embracing other dance forms…..BTW Gilles doing Bollywood didn’t deserve the high scores considering the quality of dance… I guess the judges didn’t know how to differentiate good Bollywood moves vs the bad ones so they played it safe so that they do not get labelled as biased against eastern dance forms…….but that is only my opinion.

In the meantime I hope they do live up to the energy of Bhangra and do it in true Punjabi fashion.

Teril November 20, 2012 at 4:26 am

I’m excited to see what Shawn & Derek do for Bhangra; of course I have no idea of what the dance is, but Derek didn’t seem to either last week…lol. Will have to respectfully disagree with you on Gilles’ Bollywood dance – I LOVED it and thought the scores were spot on as the British would say. (I start sounding like Len during DWTS seasons…lol.) Not having watched any Bollywood movies unless “Monsoon Wedding” is Bollywood, Gilles’ dance may have been a bit “flashier” than traditional Bollywood (or not…clueless here). In rewatching it I noticed several martial arts moves he brought into the dance.

I was just shaking my head when Carrie Ann said “Aladdin has nothing over you, Gilles.” Ermmmmm….Aladdin was Middle-Eastern/Arabian, not Indian. At least I know my countries. *Grins*

Marcy November 21, 2012 at 7:44 am

Shawn & Derek did deliver a perfect Bhangra which had some contemporary notes in it. I loved it and I think no other couple would have performed it better. Bhangra is all about high energy and they kept pace without loosing the spirit. The Knight Rider theme was lost in it, but I didn’t mind…. it was spirited :)

You got your countries alright, and yes Gilles did incorporate martial art moves, and I loved it. However I felt he missed on form and technique. Peta on the other hand nailed it. All said and done, the dance was enjoyable, but not my favorite that night.

Micky Fernandez December 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Flash mobs are nice, and this one is probably better than most, given the high expectations (although they neglected the final act of the song).
I prefer the parodies, and found the following (which seems to have been filmed in Singapore) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1Zj-UIEBw