Bihar’s Bright Future

by Sharell शारेल on December 4, 2012

in Travel in India

Post image for Bihar’s Bright Future

The car that I was in ground to a halt at a congested intersection. The traffic was banked up and immovable. A cacophony of horns blared in frustration. Around me, new flyovers, shopping malls, and apartment complexes were being constructed. I could’ve been in a suburb of Mumbai. I wasn’t though. I was in Patna, the capital city of Bihar.

I actually spent 5 days, traveling alone, in Bihar last week. Bihar Tourism had invited me to experience the Sonepur Fair and write about it, as well as to visit Bodh Gaya, where the Buddha became enlightened.

I’d been in two minds about accepting the invitation. I do love an adventure but… it was Bihar. A state with a reputation for poverty and lawlessness, and generally being uncivilised (this message is especially promoted by certain opportunistic political parties).

Yes, I’d heard that Bihar was progressing. But how much? Fortunately, the desire to go there and see for myself won over. It was a fantastic opportunity that I couldn’t pass up. I wanted to be able to come back and tell people what Bihar was really like, and hopefully recommend that they visit it.

“So much has changed here in the past three or so years,” the representative who’d collected me from the airport commented. “Look at all the cars now, and no space for them!”. The city was indeed showing signs of prospering.

According to news reports, Bihar is now India’s fastest growing state. What’s more, its turnaround success story has become a case study. The article credits this to the state’s Chief Minister, Nitish Kumar, who took office in 2005. It also states that in Patna, apart form the development, the “main difference is the number of people, particularly women, walking around freely after dark”.

So, how was I treated?

I’d dressed as conservatively as possible, in a long sleeve salwaar kameez. In fact, I’d decided to wear Indian clothes for the whole trip, in an attempt to blend in. I thought that if I dressed in a traditional way, I was less likely to be hassled. But still, I looked around nervously for the first sign of any man who was likely to misbehave with me. After all, Biharis have a reputation.

Yet, it didn’t take me long to realise that something was not quite right. The men’s behaviour didn’t seem to match their reputation at all. People greeted me with innocent curiosity. What’s more, they didn’t seem aggressive or uncouth. Rather, they were simple and genuine, and dignified.

In Patna, much to my surprise, the hotel employee who carried my bags to the lift vehemently refused a tip even.

Admittedly, I avoided going out alone at night. I just didn’t want to risk putting myself in any untoward situations. However, at the Sonepur Fair, I ended up walking back to my room alone, just after sunset one night, after a function had finished. Twice I was approached by young guys, who asked me where I was going in Hindi, and encouraged me to go with them. Yet, they quickly retreated when I glared at them and expressed my disinterest. Something like that could’ve happened anywhere, and indeed has happened to me in many places in India. It was nothing specific to Bihar or particularly concerning.

I’m pleased to say that I didn’t feel unsafe at all during my whole trip. That’s not to say that there weren’t challenges though. There’s plenty of scope for organisation to improve. Plus my driver, along with many other people, didn’t speak one word of English. “Although the people are nice, language is an issue,” the representative who’d picked me up from the airport had warned me. I wasn’t too bothered, as I knew I could make myself understood in Hindi. But take that away, and as a foreign women traveling alone, I would’ve felt quite helpless. It made me realise just how much living in Mumbai for nearly five years has given me confidence go anywhere in India, and not just cope but be comfortable.

But what about Bihar as a tourist destination?

Bihar Tourism is devoting significant resources to promoting the state’s attractions. Undoubtedly, Bihar has huge potential to draw visitors, both in terms of rural and spiritual tourism. It has many important Buddhist and Jain pilgrim sites, and its relative lack of development makes it an ideal place for “real India” aficionados. Without a doubt, I had some of my best and most memorable India experiences to date on my Bihar trip (which I’ll write about next).

I’d already come away with a positive opinion of Bihar. However, just in case I needed final evidence to confirm my view, I unknowingly dropped my passport at Patna airport after checking in on my way home. Much to my surprise, I was approached by security officers while I was sitting there and eating a snack. They’d come to inform me that someone had found my passport and handed it in.

Is Bihar an uncivilised and lawless state? Not in my experience. In my mind, it’s jewel that’s currently undergoing polishing. The work is underway, and it’s gradually beginning to sparkle.

© 2012, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Puneeta December 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I am from Jharkhand and am so happy about your views for Bihar. I have always seen and heard people talking so wrong about Bihar and biharis. I don’t understand why people who have never been to Bihar, Jharkhand or UP has to say things which they have never seen or have experienced themselves. Just because someone else has told something shouldn’t be considered as an opinion about the whole state!! Isn’t people good and bad everywhere you go?? Isn’t crime everywhere rather than just Bihar?? When will people understand this and stop spreading news!!

Its such a pleasure to read and listen from a person who has got such positive feeling about this state. Keep writing :) And thanks a lot :)

Sharell शारेल December 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Hi Puneeta, you’re welcome. I’m so glad I decided to go and see it for myself and can now say positive things. What you’ve said is very true. Hopefully, I’ll be able to change at least a few minds!

ASG December 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Hi Sharrel,

My Grandmonther lives in Patna. In my childhood, it was more rural compared to Delhi. However, there has been tremederous growth in recent years. It seemed that the Patna city is constantly being build and rebuilt. Patna was called Patriliputra in ancient times. It was the capital of the first Indian empire ruled by Chandragupta Maurya. The university at Nalanda attracted students from all over the world. It will take inspiring leadership for Bihar to reach those dizzying heights again.

benak December 4, 2012 at 11:07 pm

The way Indians look at Bihar and Biharis. . . is the way the world looks at Indians. I am in the USA and I know the way Indians are treated. . . because Ive been at the receiving end. With India’s so called most uncivilized state (again Ive never been to bihar and this is what I have heard from people, apologies if I hurt sentiments) progressing so well, I hope the rest of India too progresses. And I do hope peoples’ opinion of India and Indians change . . .

vinod December 5, 2012 at 12:46 am

why would you call Bihar uncivlized state!
Its been a fulcrum of Indian civlization from the earliest empires of Bimbisaara an Ajathsathru. Even now Biharis, I have come across are civlized, hardworking and well mannered!
Being a poor and underdeveloped region does not make its people uncivlized!!

benak December 5, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Hi Vinod,
Im sorry if I hurt your sentiments but if you read the words within parenthesis, I have made it clear that this is what I have heard from people and not what I have seen of Bihar. I dont want to comment of what is good or bad . . as I have never been to Bihar. History says Bihar was a center of a great empire. Its true . . but it is also like saying India was the richest country in the world . . until the British came along.

Dagny December 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Actually I can add that not only Indians get bad attitude. I emigrated from East Europe to West and must say that I was treated in a similar manner – like alien :) although I am white person in my late 40-ies. But I met a lot of good people also and looking forward to meet even more :)

Ravindran Nair December 5, 2012 at 1:54 am

This is a really good article? One of the best this year in my opinion mind you, in terms not the content itself, but the idea itself.

Bihar over the last few years has experienced a tremendous economic boom.
And i have heard good things about the Chief minister there.

About Bihari people. There are always good people and bad people among every group Sharell. If you based your opinion on Australians by going with the Indian media, you are going to draw a picture of Australians as bigoted.

The media just focuses on the negative stories from Bihar. So we tend to form a pre conceived notion based on that. If the media in the future take the effort to take a more balanced approach, maybe Indians will no longer have an impression that Bihar is not the wild west of India anymore.

I feel every state in India has their positives and negatives.

And your ;ast comment I feel resonates with the rest of the nation too. I feel India is improving, despite the pessimism. A lot of people argue he direction where the progression is taking the country and the pace of the change.

A really well done article, showing the positives of Bihar for once.

Who knows, maybe the Bihar Tourism Board should paste your article as a testimonial to attract more foreigners to their state.

Mirelle December 5, 2012 at 1:55 am

I’m Brazilian and my husband Bihari, I’ve lived in Patna for almost one year and I have no complain at all, I’ve always felt nice and comfortable there. I’ve seen many foreigners walking around and nobody used to disturb them (nor me), they were just curious about the firangi, especially kids. I’ve also been to Bodhgaya, it is really worth visiting.

It was a pleasure to read this post, for sure!

daniela December 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Hi Mirelle, I’m Daniela and I’m also brazilixn. So good to see a ‘compatriota’ in Sharell’ s blog. I also have been to Bihar last january and I was amazed by it. I couldn’t evrn lesve it and end up doing a budhist pilgrimage. In Bodhgaya I felt so secure that I would go out at night with no fear. So diferent from Delhi. And in Payna that beautiful gurdwara of Gobind Singh wad breathless. I’m so happy I could be there.
So, do you still live in India? And have you seen the book about India by Florencia Costa? It’is just like India itself, incredible.
Best wishes,
Daniela

Padma Narayanaswamy December 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

Yeah I also have the same prejudice. Thanks to you I will look at things differently .

I also thank you for writing Positive things about India and not just the poverty

Rakhee Ghelani December 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am so pleased to hear that you had a good visit to Bihar. I think sometimes the places that experience less tourism are actually the ones that are kinder to tourists.

Perhaps its time i went back to Bihar as well.

sos December 5, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thank you Sharell for a nice enlightening post about Bihar

Kannan December 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

Wow….I too had read some horror stories about corruption, rape, etc, and had a mental image of lawlessness there. I wouldn’t have imagined it to be a safe place for women to travel alone. However from your experience, it seems like the people are quite nice, friendly and honest there. It’s seems to be a safer or at least as safe a place as any other city in India. Great to hear that it is a jewel in making!

However I couldn’t help sharing this joke:
Once a Japanese businessman visits Bihar and is very much impressed by what he see. He mentions to Lallu Prasad Yadav ( the former Chief minister of Bihar) “Bihar has great potential. It has wonderful natural resources like coal, minerals, etc. If you give Bihar to us for three years, we will transform it into another Japan.”

Lallu wasn’t impressed. He replied “That’s nothing. Give us Japan for just three months. We will convert it into another Bihar!”

Carly December 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

Hey Sharell,

It was like deja-vu reading your post, because I also traveled to Bihar alone back in August. I didn’t go to Patna, but I went through Gaya on my way to Bodh Gaya and I didn’t have any problems, although I didn’t go anywhere alone at night. In fact it seemed like a lot of the talk about Bihar being ‘lawless’ and ‘uncivilized’ was just talk …

Sharell शारेल December 6, 2012 at 4:58 am

Oh Gaya! That place is full on chaos!! :-)

Darcey December 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

I’m glad to hear you had that experience – I /just/ ran into an article yesterday and it made me wince. I’ve never been in Bihar myself, but I hope it continues going positively down the road!

Article being referenced:
india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/bihar-village-bans-women-and-girls-from-using-mobile-phones/

pragyan December 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

As you have completed Bihar, you should visit Odisha (orissa) now. Its awesome place

Sharell शारेल December 6, 2012 at 4:51 am

I said exactly the same thing to my husband! ;-) Orissa must be next. I think he’ll be pleasantly surprised to what he remembers.

Manny December 6, 2012 at 7:05 am

Yes.. Orissa has history. Something all Indians can be proud off. When Ashoka invaded Kalinga (Present day Orissa), Women of Kalinga fought alongside men to defend their kingdom. Orissa is the real place for women’s Lib and progressive values… Not that other pretentious phony state that flaunts the virtues of communism whose values condemned many Indians to poverty and got millions killed.

ASG December 6, 2012 at 10:39 am

Hi Sharrrel,

You must visit Orissa during the Rath Yartra. We did not have the good fortune of visit Puri during the Rath Yatra but we could see the chariots being build. The simplicity of the people and their devotion for Lord Jagganath is seen to be believed. Overall, they were much uncomplicated than the people of Delhi.

BTW, do visit Delhi. Winters are fanstastic here. If you could visit during November, you could see the Trade Fair at Pragati Maidan.

Makk December 5, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Well, Lawlessness has gone little down to match national standard those are not very bright anyway.

People are afraid of Police rather then Criminals.

Coming to Bihar, I have been listening around about turning around of Bihar by Nitish. As far as growth rate concerned data can be misleading because when you are working right from S**thole ofcourse initially rate will show a beaming figure for just putting basics in place.

I would like to see when Bihar is able compete with Gujarat, in terms of per capita income and Literacy rate.

When one can board a general coach of train without being skeptical about gun brandishing goons.

Long way to go! but I am happy they have started walking!

Anand December 6, 2012 at 12:12 am

Sharell

Would you sit and think for particular words and sentences while you write ? or is this the natural talent you have as a writer ? let me imagine, you have tremendous conscious imagination. its a gift. your words are simple yet attractive.

Sharell शारेल December 6, 2012 at 4:55 am

It flows without thinking much but only when I’m inspired to write something. If that’s the case, the sentances will start popping into my head before I’ve even sat down to write. The key is to actually not think — if I have to think, in all likliness what I’m writing won’t turn out well. I kind of tune out when I’m writing and just let the words flow. But it also makes me kind of reclusive because I don’t like to be interrupted when my mind is like that… I particularly hate the phone and often don’t answer it!

Manny December 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I understand where you are coming from Sharell.

I too write without thinking! LOL :)

Sharell शारेल December 7, 2012 at 6:18 am

Bwhahahaha. But surely those damn leftists are constantly on your mind! :-P

Anand December 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Yeah very well said, its kinda meditation. requires no effort at all. The key is actually not to think…totally true.

sid December 6, 2012 at 11:58 am

Look forward to hearing about Bihar; was just reading about Buddha giving his sermon at Sarnath in a new book:)

Ramkrishna Nair December 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm

thanks for this feel good article Sharell even tho am a malayalee and not bihari. It cud be ur timing is good tho because Bihar was until nearly a decade back more or less the way many ppl described it. It was normal for people to roam about the streets in Patna openly brandishing guns after 6 in the evening (related to me by a friend who lived most of his life in Bihar) and crime was rampant under Lalu Prasad’s reign. Hats off to Nitish Kumar for turning around this state.

Jahanvi December 7, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Hi Sharell!

I have been a regular reader of your blog, though it’s the first time I am commenting here; the sole reason being the topic very close to my heart! I am a Bihari! :) 90% of the people who talk about Bihar being rowdy and lawless have never been there and judge the state on the basis of whatever crap report media writes! And I am not saying just because I am a Bihari! Being a woman who has lived in Delhi for the last 5 years, I can very well say that I feel safer in Patna than I feel in Delhi, even though I love Delhi as much as I love my own city. I’d love to request to everyone here and around who has an “opinion” about my state to come visit it first! Making an opinion is the easiest thing to do, but at least one needs to have some basis for it!

Another thing which I can proudly tell about my state is that we are one of the most warm and welcoming people in the country! Anyone who has seen our hospitality would agree! I do know the reputation the state had a decade back and it was true too, but what pains me is that people base their judgment on the hand-full of politicians they see and not even give a chance to the general people! I mean the term “Bihari” is spoken with such derision in Delhi! I mean honestly…!! and it is the case even with the most educated of people!

But then, all well that ends well! I’d just say that Bihar’s beginning has just begun! We’re gonna be one of the best states in the country. We always had the potential, now we have the political will too! :) *touchwood*

P.S. The next time you visit Patna, please visit my house! Even if I am not there, you’d be treated with the best Bihari cuisine and the bestest of Bihari hospitality! :)

Sharell शारेल December 8, 2012 at 5:17 am

Oh the food — it’s also so delicious! Thank you for your kind invitation. I’d be delighted to accept. :-D

Ravindran Nair December 9, 2012 at 1:05 am

How is the food in Bihar anyway?

Could you recommend me some.

Sharell शारेल December 9, 2012 at 7:39 am

I loved all of it!

Jahanvi December 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Litti-chokha is something that you can get anywhere now! We have pitthas which are like momos but the filling is of lentil paste! We have ghughni (chick peas preparation), dhuska etc. Then we have sweets like khaja, tilkut, thekhua (mostly made during the festival Chatth), khajur, churma, khurchan etc! But the ones which are famous are anarasa, khobi ka lai, motichoor ke laddoo, pedikiya, khurchan! Also a lot of veg and non-vegs preparations are made in mustard paste which gives the food a surreal taste!! Feel free to try any of these! :)

Mukul December 9, 2012 at 1:50 am

Hi Sharell
Bihar seems to have arrived if has got the agility and resourcefulness to invite avid bloggers to promote tourism! I was born and brought up in Bihar and have seen it hitting the rock bottom and then trying to bounce back to life like a Phoenix.
We are still way behind the national average and our contribution to GDP is much less in proportion to our share of population. Caste-ism took Bihar on the downward spiral. It started with upper caste congress Chief ministers and culminated in Lalu Prasad Yadav when he made the whole of Bihar a laughing stock.
While Bihar was going down all these years; Biharis were still making progress. Everyone who had an opportunity would migrate to different places and make life. It is not only the cheap laborers who migrated to Gujarat, Maharastra, Delhi, Punjab but also academia, IAS officers, Research scholars, doctors, engineers. Their contributions would not be counted as Bihar’s contribution as they had migrated to other places and many of them were happy with new identity. They did not mind getting rid of the “Bihari Tag”.
Now when I go to Bihar; I still see lots of scope of improvement; the much talked about infrastructure projects in Bihar still lack the scale that you would see in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore. Urban planning still not done at cosmopolitan level. But probably things have started moving and we might have reached the Tipping point.
I can happily tell you that Bihar is the first and probably only state in India which has implemented e-governance 100%. All the state governing officers are listed on the website with contact details; email ids and points of escalations. And it really works. RTI also works. I have used it many times from comfort of my office just by sending emails.
It will still take a Herculean effort to eradicate castism and favourism from Bihari mentality. It seems to run in our DNA. But Nitish needs to be congratulated for bringing back that hope in Bihar.
Coming to tourism; do you know that countries like Sri Lanka and Thailand owe their success in tourism to an extent to Bihar. Buddhism spread to some 18 countries from Nalanda in Bihar. This includes Tibet, Bhutan, Srilanka, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Japan.. you can complete the list. Interestingly that Thai Massage that is the biggest brand of Thailand has come from Bihar. Jeevak Baccha Kumar was a Ayurvedic practitioner from Bihar who took massage to Thailand. Still in traditional Thai massage parlours they put an idol of Jeevak.
There is a lot of scope of improvement and development of tourism sites in Bihar and I hope and pray Bihar reaches its true potential and contribute to the countries growth.

Sharell शारेल December 9, 2012 at 7:38 am

Ha! I’m not an “avid blogger”, according to this news report (see at the bottom) I’m a “famous travel writer”. ;-)

And this news report says, “world renowned travel writer Sharell Cook, New York Times, (about.com) has also arrived to write exclusively on the mela.” :-P

It was because of About.com that I got invited. Bihar Tourism was in charge of organizing and promoting the Sonepur Fair for the first time this year, and they have quite a huge budget that they’re spending on developing tourism across the state.

As for that clown Lalu Prasad, I couldn’t get over the amount of hair on his ears and never could take him seriously!

But on a serious note, thanks for sharing your insight about Bihar.

yogesh December 16, 2012 at 7:53 am

lol ,good ovservation about hair on lalu’s ear.

--Sunrise-- December 10, 2012 at 2:31 am

Bumped into this on my web browsing and thought you might get a couple of chuckles out of it! Have a good day :)

Sharell शारेल December 10, 2012 at 2:47 am

What the…? Are they for real? I think the Melbourne Metro one definitely has to have been created by some pranksters. ;-)

Orange Jammies December 14, 2012 at 5:09 am

This is such heartening news. Thank you, Sharell, and kudos to you for letting curiosity overcome your fears. You’re not the only one richer for it. :)

Sharell शारेल December 16, 2012 at 2:29 am

Thank you so much for your kind words. And yes, it has empowered me a lot, in a number of ways. :-D

SKT December 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I was born in Bihar, but left India when I was a toddler and grew up mostly in the UK and U.S. I did go back often though including for some long extended stays throughout childhood, because my family kept thinking about moving back.

My parents say that Bihar was progressing reasonably well when they were young. The quality of life was good for the urban middle class in the 1960′s and 1970′s. In the 1980′s, the problems of overpopulation and slow growth started to take its toll. When Lalu Yadav took over in 1990 (after a nasty Hindu-Muslim riot), he ran the state into the ground over the next 15 years. He opened the jails and invited the criminals to come and administer/loot the state, in exchange for political patronage. He also declared a pogrom on the upper castes, which lead to armed militias on both sides massacring entire villages in the rural areas. In the cities, kidnappings of professionals, businessmen, and their families were so rampant that people literally did not leave their homes and the economy ground to a halt. During that time, South Bihar rebelled and succeeded in forming their own state Jharkhand.

Since Yadav (or rather his wife) was removed from power mid-2000′s, things have been improving.

Sharell शारेल December 16, 2012 at 2:25 am

It’s shocking and appalling what Lalu did while in power. Terrible stuff.

yogesh December 16, 2012 at 7:50 am

okay SKT sounds here as if lalu alone was responsible for all,l myself am from bihar and let me tell you ,no state can become like bihar ,without the attitude of the mass ,wat it was ,nevertheless,”der aaye durust aaye”(learn the meaning sharrel, ;) ),biharo is have understood the need for development and so is bihar changing but it will take atleast 20 years for it to b at the level of other developing states like maharashtra.

Piu December 18, 2012 at 1:29 am

I lived in Bihar from 1993-1997 for studies. It was very unsafe at the time with ‘curfew’ time starting at sundown and shops closing their shutters at the time. Only restaurants remained open in this desolate hour. Girls were banned from returning in the bus after 5.30pm. Once some girls returned back by the 6.30 bus and they were groped by a mob of male students – their peers and juniors. There was a meeting regarding the incident by the officials where all the girl students of all streams were apprised of the situation and yelled at for wishing to go out and disobeying the diktat. Gun shots, muggings and robberies were commonplace. But it was also safe somewhat – i cannot explain the instinct we developed to determine who is safe and who isnt. Us girls had hitched a few rides in lorries then and it was very safe – I shudder now thinking how stupid that was, and could never do it again.

The only progressive place was Jamshedpur.

Piu December 18, 2012 at 1:37 am

While keeping updated on the goings on of my college, in year 1999 I was very surprised to see ‘balls’ and dance parties with free mixing of girls and boys. In our time there was an invisible segregation, and boy students would not talk to girl students – but would be very nasty behind their back. Very few ‘upmarket’ girls of my time had boyfriends, but i heard that by 1999 all the girl students were seeing someone from class.

I need to add the daily harassing insults and bullying of female students that were common place. I heard that danger for women in campus had greatly reduced by that time, and this thing that was commonplace in my time time had become extinct in two years. Also, the fee structure in year 1999 was thrice of what it was in my time – some corelation perhaps.

Satyajit December 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Dear Sharell,
I was just going through the articles on Bihar. You have an excellent flair for writing your experience.
I would like to share your articles on Bihar, Sonpur Mela and Mahabodhi Temple on my blog http://www.biharfoundation.blogspot.com if you allow me to do so.
Secondly, I would like to request you to add the website address of the Dept. of Tourism (http://www.bihartourism.gov.in/) to your posts. The Website address which you have added on About.com is of Bihar State Tourism Development Corporation (BSTDC) which works under Dept. of Tourism. Recently the Dept. of Tourism has got a new website developed. I particularly like the Virtual Tour Section on this site. It would be nice if you add both the web addresses to your posts related to Bihar Tourism.

Regards
Satyajit N. Singh
Manager Public Relations
Bihar Foundation, Govt. of Bihar

Amit January 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Nice to know you liked Bihar & esp Patna, the city I lived in for 25 years. I experienced only three years of Nitish’s before moving out.

SKT is right about Lalu. However, South Bihar (or Jharkhand) didn’t ‘rebel’. It was all politics, they all wanted to create one more state to loot.

yogendra prasad March 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Hi,

nice article and good to hear good things about Bihar

Rahul March 13, 2013 at 6:51 am

Hey Sharell,

Glad to hear about your not so bad experience in Bihar. I was born in Patna but never lived there. My mom is very attached to Patna and keeps talking about going back and settling there but I’m always dismissive of that talk since I’ve this belief that it’s not very safe out there. However, after reading this article I may reconsider my stance. Thanks :)

Sharell शारेल March 13, 2013 at 8:39 am

Hi Rahul. Patna definitely is changing. It’s worth going there to take a look at least, and see how you feel about it. :-)

Girish Shankar September 3, 2013 at 7:56 am

An accurate assessment.

Sharell शारेल September 3, 2013 at 10:24 am

Thank you, Girish. Glad you think so! :-)

Ajit February 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I travelled to Bihar for work in 1996 and then scared to return. May be this blog may change my opinion