My Oldest Nephew Gets Married

by Sharell शारेल on February 22, 2013

in Family & Friends, Getting Married

Post image for My Oldest Nephew Gets Married

A couple of weeks ago, there was a very important function in the family that my mum even came all the way from Australia (her third time to India) to attend — the wedding of my oldest nephew. It’s hard to believe that I have a nephew of marriageable age. However, my husband’s sister got married young and had him when she was still a teenager.

Of course, the question many of you are probably wondering is, “Was it a love marriage?” The answer is yes! It was the third love marriage in the family (apart from my husband and his brother) and also to someone of a different community. She is Gujarati.

In testament to how “progressive” my husband’s family has become, the marriage took place without any fuss or opposition. The happy couple fell in love during college and she started making appearances at family functions over a year ago — indicating that she’d been accepted as my nephew’s girlfriend (although she was always referred to as his “friend”) and it was a serious relationship. My sister in law has always been rather broadminded though, and she was the one my husband turned to when he wanted to convince his parents to support his marriage to me.

The wedding was also the largest and fanciest one in the family to date. There was a sangeet, along with a reception for around 1,000 people held at one of the huge outdoor wedding grounds that appear side by side along a road in Borivali.

Of course, all this meant that I had to buy some new saris — one for the wedding and one for the reception. And, of course, this meant hours and hours of deliberation over which saris to choose. As I’ve mentioned previously, selecting a sari is not as simple as just picking a colour and design that you like. Over the years, I’ve learned that there are a lot of subtle differences in choosing the right sari for the right occasion in India. It’s the same as choosing the right dress for the right occasion in the west, be it a cocktail dress, a formal dress, a party dress, or a casual dress. The sari material, and the amount of embroidery, sequins, and other detailing are all factors that need to be taken into account.

As is typically the case with weddings in India (and very different to the west), the wedding ceremony is attended only by family and close friends. The sari should be conservative but formal, and without a lot of bling. Silk is a good choice of fabric. I finally settled on a fancy brocade cream silk sari from Cbazaar online. (I rarely shop in stores anymore, as I find the overwhelming attention from sales assistants makes it so difficult for me to make a thoughtful decision).

I dressed my mum in my silk maroon sari. It’s the first sari I ever owned, and which my husband bought for me in Kolkata not long after I’d met him.

Mum and me, at the wedding ceremony.

Mum and me, at the wedding ceremony.

Funnily enough, my mother in law was wearing a sari very similar to the one my mother was wearing. And yes, it was also a gift from Kolkata from my husband! (Bless him, his mother was happy with the sari, so he thought it would be good to give me one like it).

Husband, mother, and mother in law.

Husband, mother, and mother in law.

The wedding reception is time to dress up and flash some bling around. Sheer fabrics with sequins and crystals, and lots of jewellery, are the go. I chose this red chiffon jacquard sari, again from Cbazaar. It’s fine to wear red, the bridal colour, to an Indian wedding as long as you don’t outdo the bride! (And there wasn’t much chance of that as she was dressed in a stunning green, red, and purple lengha that she’d designer herself).

At the wedding reception.

At the wedding reception.

A bit of bling.

A bit of bling.

Having fun posing with my youngest sister in law and her neice.

Having fun posing with my youngest sister in law and her neice.

And last but not least, a picture with the hubby.

And last but not least, a picture with the hubby.

Height reversal!

Just for something different, height reversal!

© 2013, Diary of a White Indian Housewife. All rights reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

PLAN YOUR TRIP WITH 1500+ TRAVEL PARTNERS, 100% CUSTOMISED

image001

Padparadscha February 22, 2013 at 7:47 pm

This is such a sweet post. I love the picture of your mum and MIL, they look like sisters. And I must say you look more and more Indian yourself <3

Sharell शारेल February 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Funnily enough, I’m getting that comment a lot lately — that I’m looking more and more Indian. Even my mum said so. :-) My mum and mother in law were really excited to see each other. It was lovely.

Padparadscha February 28, 2013 at 8:24 pm

So happy to hear this :)
Maybe you look Indian because now you have the auntie attitude ;)

Soukaina February 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm

You look Fabulous my dear !!
God Bless you

Sharell शारेल February 22, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Thank you sooo much. Bless you too!

Diane February 22, 2013 at 9:58 pm

You look so pretty! You and your husband are a really beautiful couple. I love how the new bride is smiling at her husband. Put a huge grin on my face and reminded me of my own wedding!:-D

Sharell शारेल February 22, 2013 at 10:39 pm

That’s so sweet of you to say, thank you! :-D It was a really happy day… the bride was extremely happy to be getting married. She told me that she’d been in love with him for a long time before they ended up getting together. So, it was a fairytale romance how it all worked out in the end.

tracy February 23, 2013 at 12:25 am

What a Beautiful wedding!! Everyone looks so happy and you all look like Bollywood stars!! :) I am so happy that your Mum was able to come and join in the festivities~ You married into a Very special family as well! x

Manny February 23, 2013 at 2:00 am

Mubarak for the young couple and to you Sharell!

Anshi February 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

Such a nice post.
My quest of love http://anshidiary.blogspot.in

TAMASHA! February 23, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Rockin’ that sari again Sharell!
What a beautiful wedding!
I like the crowns the newly married couples are wearing also, I’ve never seen that before (and I go to a lot of weddings!)
Who is that Bollywood ‘A list’ couple in the last 2 pics?
;)

Sharell शारेल February 24, 2013 at 12:00 am

Hey, welcome back! The crowns are an Oriya wedding thing. I believe Lord Jagannath from the temple in Puri also dons a crown when he’s taken out for the Rath Yatra festival. As for that couple in the photos, they look kind of like us on a really spectacular day.

Shalu Sharma February 23, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Weddings are always joyous occasions; things to do and people to meet. Nice photos. You look lovely in a saree. We never had love marriages in our family but you never know.

Sharell शारेल February 24, 2013 at 12:02 am

Thank you! Yes, you definitely never know… up until around six years ago, there hadn’t been any love marries in my husband’s family either. The first one was strongly resisted… but now there’ve been three! No one seems phased anymore. Even my mother in law’s eldest sister, who didn’t come to the other love marriages, came to this one.

ASG February 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hi Sharrel,

You look like you are about to burn up the wedding pandal with your flaming red sari. You always look stunning in saris, but I guess you floored me with the red sari.

ASG February 27, 2013 at 9:52 am

Hi Sharrel,

The pose that you stuck was very “bollywoodish” . BTW, did you indulge in bollywood dance at the wedding. Your makeup seems to be inspired by bollywood too. I had always you, you have a great career in bollywood.

Sharell शारेल February 27, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I just follow instructions and do what the photographer and others tell me to. I’m hopeless at posing on my own! I might look okay in photos but I’m terrible at showsha and all that stuff in real life. I’m an introvert who doesn’t like the limelight. Unfortunately there was no dancing at the wedding… it all happened at the sangeet.

ASG February 27, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Another example that your are turning into an Indian “Showsha” very Punjabi like “Roti Shoti”. “Car Vaar”. You enjoy dressing up in Indian outfits and participating in the ceremonies of your in laws because you love them. It shows on your face.

Anand February 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

You are hopeless posing on ur own ?!!! i dont believe this. i have always liked your expressions and poses when u see carts and cows in india…lol it was very natural….

Sharell शारेल February 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Haha, of course, they are funny natural poses for me. Glamorous poses are not. ;-)

Anand February 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Here you go, this is my fav… oh look at that joy..hahaha like a child….

cheers

Sharell शारेल February 27, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Oh, thanks for digging that up! What fabulous memories! It was on the road approaching Mysore, if I remember correctly. I was overjoyed to have all those things in one photo.

Nisha February 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

You look very pretty and stunning. wishes for your nephew and partner!!!

I love INDIAN WEDDINGS.. Full of joy, colours, enjoyment, chit chats, foods., etc etc etc!!!

Cathy February 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Very pretty!

Amelia Grace February 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm

you look amazing Sharell, really carry the sari well!

amar February 26, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Both of u look stunning! ur hubby’s smile matches the dazzle of ur red saree, watt for watt! U have very good taste. even the cream saree is appropriate for the ceremony during the day. Wishing you both a very long and happy married life!

amar

Megan February 27, 2013 at 12:40 am

Absolutely stunning!

Rakhee Ghelani February 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

Gorgeous photos! There is just something lovely about women in sarees.

Ashish February 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

Now where to start from, i googled about “oiling ur hair on daily basis” and came across ur article about oiling ur hair! :) after a litle reading i paid some attention to the comments below, especially to Mr.Ray’s comments nd then i read Urs! Now i must say “decent white girls” must be a dying breed but they are not completely dead! Any way ur husband’s an indian, i m an indian that makes us brothers! So namaste bhabhi ji nd welcome 2 India(even though u came here a long time ago, so sorry for greeting u late) nd bydaway last pic is my favourite! Ur blog goes 2 my bookmarks tab! :)

Manali February 27, 2013 at 3:30 pm

you have actually started looking like an indian……. its even harder to point out the difference when u wear a saree….. even your mom looks so good in tht saree…. very sweet post

secretsofmissdaydreamer.blogspot.in

Sharell शारेल February 27, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I’m thrilled to hear that! :-D

Makk February 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

It seems you had a lot of fun!

Bling gave me a bling too..:)

Keep smiling! Stay Blessed!

Vivek February 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Hey, all nice pics! You look truly Indian in that saree.

Raina Anderson February 28, 2013 at 1:27 am

Thank you for sharing the photos- everyone looks beautiful and happy!

Mrs. Sikharam February 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

Hello, longtime lurker first time posting. This story kind of comes along with my situation. My husband and I eloped in the United States (and it made the paper. Funny story, really) his mother was on the line that day saying feb 14 was a very auspicious time for marriage. Little did we know, and still went to the courthouse anyway. My question is we are heading back to Hyderabad in late May before he starts residency. Where are some good areas to check out in AP and have you been around that area? Of course he’s promised to take me up to Agra, he knows I am a big animal lover and a trip to Gujarat to see the lions might be in my future. Who knows though, considering this will be the first meeting of his family, and I doubt this will be my first and only trip to the subcontinent. By the way I love the photos. I’d post mine, but they are already over the internet. (wasn’t my intent)

Sharell शारेल February 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hi there, welcome to the comments section! :-) Unfortunately, I’m not really familiar with AP. I’ve been to Hyderabad but that’s about it. Hopefully some of my readers from that area will be able to give you some input. End of May is a bit difficult weather wise in India — it’s the end of summer before the monsoon starts in early June. It’s very hot and humid, so you might want to head for the mountains. Hope you have a fab visit though.

Caligator March 1, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hello Mrs. Sikharam, it wasn’t too hard to find one of your wedding pics and you both are looking great. If you are a nature lover, hill resorts are a good idea like Sharell suggested, but there aren’t any in AP where you can avoid the heat. You’ll have to head to the Western ghats, if time permits, Munnar, Ooty, Kodaikkanal etc. Or even go further from Agra to the Himalayas. AP has way lesser attractions like Araku valley and nearby Borra caves, another cave system called Belum caves in an even more arid area. But all these are not advisable during summer, heat stroke guaranteed.
I hail from AP but can’t bear the summer heat there after getting used to So. Cal. weather. So I would advise you to stick to places in and around Hyderabad which your husband will know pretty well and travel will be minimal.

Ravindran Nair February 28, 2013 at 10:26 am

Why art thou so cruel? your cruelty hath no bounds.

but really, beautifu photos Sharell. I hope your mother enjoyed the occassion?

backwhereitallstarted March 2, 2013 at 3:12 am

Many congratulations on your nephew’s wedding. You all look so amazing. Your husband and mom and mother-in-law are all living up the occasion.

Sorry, I don’t get to post much these days. Be assured I keep checking your blog from time to time, but my new work with the start-up has totally been sucking up my time.

Lots of love and good wishes! Muah!

Sharell शारेल March 2, 2013 at 11:36 am

Hey, welcome back! It’s good to hear from you. I know how crazy life gets and its so hard to find balance at times (I’ve been like that lately, as I’ve been travelling a lot, I’m finding it hard to get the time to post here even)!

Jen March 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

Do you know of any good websites for Indian/clothing online that ships to the US? I’m new to an Indian family and am trying to expand my wardrobe! So far I have a few salwar kameezes but I’d love to get some comfy kurtis and a saree or two. So far I’ve just been prowling around on ebay. Would love some recommendations! It looks like the site you used is in India only.

Also do you have any fashion specific posts on the blog? I’d love to read more about dressing appropriately/wardrobe selection/your favorite things to wear, etc.

You always look so lovely in all your posts! I hope I can be an equally pretty white girl in a saree :)

Rehaan Pandit March 7, 2013 at 11:51 am

Cooool ..indian wedding kya baat hai yaar!

Madhur March 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Do women look most graceful in a Sari ? You do look very elegant, Sharell !

V March 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Hello Sharell!

Hope all is well with you and your family. I just saw one of your saree photograph from your nephews’s wedding. You and your family look lovely! I apologize for the unsolicited advise, but couldn’t hold back since a lot of tall people do not get that idea. Its up to you if you want to take it or not.

I noticed that your saree (one you wore to reception) length is wee bit shorter and shows your footwear. A saree should sort of hide your foot wear but not drag on the ground. My mom and I often face the same problem – my mum stands 5f 9.5″ and I’m 5f 8.5″

The solution? Well, mum sews 4-5 centimetres fabric (left over scraps; she sews) to the top part of the saree (if you are looking lengthwise). The fabric attachment starts from the non-pallu side (not sure what is it called) and end where you think your pleats would end. For this you have to wear the saree and mark it. Its very simple! Mum does zig-zag instead of straight stitch so that the loose threads are locked from ripping the fabric. You can buy a small piece of plain colour fabric — ones used to sew saree blouses – and use it.

And yes, hard to believe you have a nephew of marriageable age! :)

Sharell शारेल March 11, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Thanks for the tip, V. You are both quite tall, similar to me (I’m 5’9″).

Julia April 25, 2013 at 11:41 pm

These photos are beautiful Sharell! Thank you for sharing them with us. I love Indian weddings!

wikitheeks May 25, 2013 at 12:15 am

Your husband looks really cute in the first photo. I love the shirt he’s wearing.

joey June 7, 2013 at 4:05 am

Nice sharrell love your big goofy smile

sushim July 21, 2013 at 6:50 pm

hey you carry saree so well.You both make fantastic couple.

Sharell शारेल July 21, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks so much, Sushim. :-) We appreciate your compliment.

sushim July 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

i like way you select sarees for an occasion no wonder you always end up looking beautiful.