A Walk Around Lalbaug to See Ganesh Idols Being Made

by Sharell शारेल on August 31, 2013

in Festivals in India

Post image for A Walk Around Lalbaug to See Ganesh Idols Being Made

There’s nothing like the arrival of Lord Ganpatti to brighten the spirits of Mumbai, myself included! I was so thrilled to spend Wednesday morning wandering through the workshops in Lalbaug, where artisans are busy handcrafting the idols for the upcoming Ganesh Chaturthi festival. (It’s less than two weeks away!).

There were so many statues, of all kinds of shapes and sizes, and in various stages of completion. Not only was I able to have a special early darshan of the Lord, I also got to meet the artisan who makes the famous Lalbaugcha Raja. He was such a lovely, unassuming man. In fact, everyone in the area was friendly and quietly going about their business.

It was a very memorable adventure!

You can read about my experience in this article and see my pictures in this photo gallery.

Artisans busy at work.

Artisans busy at work.

Having a chai break.

Having a chai break.

Lord Ganesh's vehicle waiting to be painted.

Lord Ganesh's vehicle waiting to be painted.

© Copyright 2013 Sharell शारेल, Diary of a White Indian Housewife 2008-2014. All Rights Reserved. Do not copy and reproduce text or images without permission.

thinktank September 1, 2013 at 2:31 am

Aahhh the good old Ganesh Chaturthi it on its way! Ganapati bappa moraya and here goes first comment!

Sharell शारेल September 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

Very auspicious for you! Extra blessings from the Bappa! :-)

asg September 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Hi Sharrel,

Are you doing hi fives with Lord Ganesha in the first picture. The idols are made with such care then immersed in water. The idols come and go, but the spirit of the Lord remains with us always.

SD September 2, 2013 at 9:23 pm

What exactly is your point?

asg September 2, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hi Sharrel,

Are you planning to bring Ganpati to your home this year.

Sharell शारेल September 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

No, sadly not. I will never do that. It requires special rituals and procedures that neither myself nor my husband are capable of, or knowledgeable enough about. Our housing society always gets one home, so we will participate in those celebrations. :-)

ASG September 2, 2013 at 12:58 pm

His Sharrel,

It does not matter if you do not know the rituals. The only thing required is faith in the deity. All you got to do is arrange things as per the list of the priest or he will arrange it for you. God will take care of the rest.

Since you are so devoted to Ganapati, it is appropriate that he steps into your household once and bless you. Don’t get me wrong, being an Indian, I am a little persistent about all things religious.

Sharell शारेल September 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm

My husband isn’t religious though, so I don’t think he’d agree to it. He’s not really into rituals involving pandits etc.

ASG September 3, 2013 at 10:16 am

Your devotion for Lord Ganesha is admirable. Who knows he might find some other way to get into your house. Perhaps, in the form of “Little Ganesha”. Just kidding.

Mezz September 1, 2013 at 5:48 am

I love your blog Sharrel. You and I have swapped cities. I grew up in Bandra and now live in Nunawading :-)
I have veggie patch envy after seeing a pic of your mum’s neat boxes. And you make me miss hindustan :-)
Have you ever submitted your stories on India to The Age or SMH for their postcard section ? I reckon they would hit the right spot if they are 600 words.

Sharell शारेल September 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

Oh my gosh, suburbia in Nunawading!! Such a change from groovy Bandra. I’ve actually never tried submitting my stories, but you’ve inspired me. Perhaps I should!

Mezz September 13, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Lol ! Tell me about it – when I visit home I like to say I have come up from my gaon nunawading – yup turned into a bogan – hehe !!! I did a travel writing course in sydney with rob macfarland and he was amazing. He writes regularly for GQ, SMH , Age – among others – he has never been to India – if you want to connect with him – I can ask – I am part of his alumni network.

A. Madhavan September 1, 2013 at 10:51 am

So beautiful. What amazing craftsmanship! Must have been so inspiring. I wish I was there – I would’ve gone crazy taking pics!

Debabrata September 2, 2013 at 2:32 am

Its always a delight to watch to the idols being made. I was never religious, even as a kid, but I used to sit for hours absorbing the construction process. I was luckier perhaps that it was Durga Puja so I could witness a plethora of different idols instead of just the one. Now I get to go to my hometown only after the puja holidays begin and I never get to see the idols being made. :(

Ashish September 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Ganpati bappa mourya! These pics are beautiful! I have never been to Mumbai but i know that Ganesh chaturti is like the king of festivals for Mumbaians!

Piyush September 8, 2013 at 4:52 am

Brilliant crispy photos, makes me wonder what camera you use. Also I am glad to see how Lalbagcha Raja is making his appearance to his Praja!

From the start of the every year, I eagerly wait for this festival. Why? For decorating his place (but more for Modak/Laddos). I made this Taj Mahal back in 2010 and still customize it every year.

Sharell शारेल September 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

It’s a Nikon 5100. :-)

ASG September 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Hi Sharrel

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you and your family. May Lord Ganesha bless you with peace and prosperity.

anu October 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Loved your photos. It is heartening to see simple clay being molded into such beautiful figurines.

david June 15, 2014 at 12:07 am

lord is an animal,interesting.How can an animal be a lord

Sharell शारेल June 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

He is an abstract representation of certain aspects of energy/consciousness.

Read more here: